Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Setting goals
Teddi9191 posted:
I am new here and am trying to determine my long term goal. I need to be able to visualize my ending. I have set mini goals and they have worked well but I don't know how to set my stabilizing point.

According to the BMI charts I should weigh between 111 and 150. That's a huge spread. How have others set those long term goals?

Jis4Judy responded:
Hi Teddi why not try for the 150 and see how it feels then set another goal at that point ...if needed .
I imagine you have to take into account large frame or small frame that kind of thing
the truth is that it is easier to focus on short term goals like 5 or 10 pounds then after achieveing that set another goal sort of chipping away at the excess ..
Hugs and welcome Judy:)
SW 247 CW 153ish maintaining Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

blondie454u responded:
You've gotten some great advice so welcome.
Amber CW 139 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

lms65901 responded:
Teddi I just came across this and just thought maybe this may help?? I weigh in on my wii and it always tell me my bmi should be super low i know from my own that it would not look nice for me to be 129lbs I just hit a 50lb goal and havent weighed this for over 20 years and i feel good ..Bmi and the other i think is bai do not take into consideration for any muscle mass and the math does not support it you cant take 2 300 lb men one overweight, one totally built same height etc and they will both say their bmi is off and even though one is overweight it still would be wrong use a caliper it supposed to be more accurate

mebeingme responded:
I can appreciate your issue, as I too have been trying to figure at what weight should I put the brakes on and work at maintenance. I have gone from 270 to 168 & it has taken me from 9/2009 to the present to accomplish this.

I have also looked at BMI & the healthy weight range. Mine is from 115 to 155 which is likewise a big span. So I considered what weight was I most comfortable in my earlier years. I set that goal to be 145 and then began my trek.

I feel, for me, it has been harder to lose weight as I come nearer to my goal. I know that you don't burn as many calories as you lose weight, doing the same exercises that would blast "em earlier. So, my journey has slowed some. I also see the effects of weight loss on my body & skin. In losing weight slowly, as I have done, I feel all of the strengthous exercising has helped to strengthen my muscles & allow my skin to catch up. Though, whatever your loss you may find some lose skin and that has played a large role in determining my goal. So as I hit the 100 pound target, I was so motivated, I felt I could easily go on to reach a weight of 125, which is what I weighed when I was in my 30's. But did I want to....now? I was in the 140s when I was in my 40s, and 150's when I was in my 50's. Then I had a large "expansion" project going on inside my body & went to numbers that I mentioned earlier. I share this because you have to look at your history and literallly weigh the variables and when you felt your personal BEST! I have, I think, come upon the number of 155 (about 13 pounds away). I did this as 155 is the top range of "HEALTHY"! I have gone past OBESE (actually MORBIDLY OBESE) & am now at OVERWEIGHT. It is such a motivator now to work to get below the "Overweight" range. I could possible reach 155 & want to go lower. But that is a choice I relish for when I get there.

I feel my goal has always been to be healthy, feel healthy and LOOK healthy. I absolutely know I fit all of those, NOW.

I feel and think whatever I do now, is a choice I am so superbly pleased that I have the option to make. The decisions will come to you also. You may set goals and reset them. I too feel 150 is a great number. Just bask in the glow of health and you will know when you are there!

justmejust replied to mebeingme's response:
My goal weight is the highest normal weight number on bmi chart for my height. I have a medium frame and muscular build and I am 50, not the 22 year old college girl that weighed 125 and that hadn't had 3 children or more mature body. For others who have had a small frame and been on the slim side, I'd think that the lower weight range could work for them.
Like mebeingme, my first goal is just to be on the bmi chart under the normal category. Maybe when I get near there, being above or below this might seem better, considering how my body and my skin are at that time. You are doing the right thing Teddi9191 thinking about these things and asking others about this. I think we all try figuring it out in the beginning especially. Good work.
Goal Wt 145 Current Wt 203 Starting Wt 225 Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection. Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight.

newman50less responded:
BMI is not in itself a good measure of your body. An NFL football player can be obese on BMI because muscle weight is not factored in, just total weight. That said, for the rest of us it is a good place to start. Statistics show reasonably healthy males with 15 to 18% body fat and healthy females with 20-25%. You need to use other methods to measure that. But, for now, if you are losing weight at around 1-3 pounds per week, you are doing alright. When have you reached your goal? When what you are eating (in calories, but also nutrition) balances out with how much energy you are burning.

When I was nearing my goal weight, a coach told me that my body would tell me when it is done. That proved to be true. I had kept the same caloric values going in for a year, and my body reached a point where I stopped losing and leveled out. I have kept that excess weight off for more that 8 years now.

I HAVE NOT STOPPED EATING THE WAY I LOST THE WEIGHT. I still eat the same way today. I still keep the weight off and I still eat a nutritious and well-balanced diet.

For the record, I saw an old penny scale that used to stand in front of the local drug store. It had a chart of acceptable weights, based on height and gender. Back then, a 5' 10" male was rated for 150 pounds or so. Today, we think that is too small. Is it really?

There are scales today that can measure electrical resistance while weighing you. They can tell you what body fat percentage you have (forget the BMI).

Keep doing things right, measuring and recording your food intake and exercise, avoiding the 'crap' that masquerades as food, and turning down the out-sized portions that you get offered by well-meaning but misguided friends and family. You will get to the right weight for you. If you are paying attention to the details...

Tomato05 responded:
I wouldn't worry about the end weight too much at this stage if I were you. Just focus on week by week progress.

If you get down to 150lb you can review the desirable weight issue. For me the ideal weight is when I look in the mirror and like what I see, and when I really feel comfortable in my clothes and skin (I'm not there at the moment!).

If at 150lb you don't feel that way, you can always try to go down further.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 53 5' 7" and weigh 210. I started gaining weight in my 30s and wasn't careful with my body - ate a lot, drank a fair bit of beer ...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.