Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
new here and just started
Chappell84 posted:
hey, i just started my diet on Monday, I'm 5ft8in and 225lbs, trying to get down to 160, and i had a couple of questions.

First, are those weight loss pill i see on t.v and in stores worth using?

and second, in the fitness tracker should i log my work? my entire job is basically sit on my but and imitate a statue for 12 hours, closest thing i found to that activity is meditation, but i thought that the calories burned from inactivity (ie: breathing, heartbeat, digesting, being alive) was already assumed in the fitness tracker and that the X number of Calories i need to burn are from additional activities.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Chappell84 responded:
sorry for the double post but i guess what I'm asking is, is it accurate? the tracker says that 10 hours of "meditating" burns a little more than 1000 calories

Jis4Judy responded:
Hi I am not sure how web mds tracker works but on most other trackers when you set up your profile you choose an activity.
when I was removeing my excess weight I used sedentary for my main activity and added in my intentional exercise .
most trackers start with your basic metabolism thats the part that you need to keep your body going breathing digesting etc
Your body uses calories even when doing nothing the idea is to eat approx the calories needed to do all the basic things and maybe exercise a bit more . None of the calculators are spot on
there are variables in each of us we have to be aware of how our individual bodys work .
I t would be best to logg your calories if you can remember what you usually eat while overweight and maintaining the weight,
and cut 500 calories from that and try to exercise an hour if you can that should help you lose approx 1 pound each week as you get smaller your body will burn less calories just because it is smaller ...
I hope something in here helps
Hugs and welcome Judy:)
SW 247 CW 153ish maintaining Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

blondie454u responded:
You've gotten some great so welcome!
Amber CW 139 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

justmejust responded:
Probably best to do like Judy suggests and under estimate the calories you burn rather than over estimate. Over time you can readjust it up or down.
Goal Wt 145 Current Wt 203 Starting Wt 225 Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection. Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight.

Tomato05 replied to Chappell84's response:
I like a different approach: just pick a calorie level (say 500 below what you need to maintain your weight if you don't do much exercise).

That way you are assured of a 1lb loss a week, regardless of whether you exercise or not.

If you do exercise, then all the better - then it just means you will lose a bit more than 1lb.

Exercise doesn't burn an awful lot of calories anyway.

Of course if you exercise really heavily (like running for miles, or heavy interval training), then you can increase your calorie intake by 100 or 200 a day (in other words eating 300 below the level of maintenance instead of 500 below).

Chappell84 replied to Tomato05's response:
thanks for all the advice, as it so happens i found the perfect exercise for me, i spend about 3 hours -with hiking boot, camelback, and a fanny-pack full of nuts and dried fruit- hiking around my town, it really taps into the wanderlust i had as a little kid

Tomato05 replied to Chappell84's response:
That sounds like a good way to exercise - satisfy the explorer in you at the same time!

However, will you be able to allocate 3 hours most days to exercise? Or how often do you plan to do this?

Chappell84 replied to Tomato05's response:
yea, i can easily put 3 hours into at least 3days a week, i get my 40 hours in 3 days so i have like 4 days off

slillypond responded:
Wish diet pills work but I think they make it worse because when your on the pills you're not as hungry but your body adjusts to them quickly and so you have to take more. You dont want to stay on them forever because they will lose all heir power. When you get off you usually want to eat are hungrier then before because your body is afraid you'll limit it again so....you get into actually slowing down your metabolism so you gain even more weight and don't burn it efficiently. Not a medical opinion just my experience.

maybembt responded:
It would be nice to take a pill and shed the weight permanently. But what we added little by little will have to be shed little by little. In my opinion only diet and exercise will undo what we have done to our bodies. Hang in there. I hope to be an encouragement to you as you begin to lose.
SW228 CW213 GW150 Since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily snares us, and let us run with endurance the race set before us.

Chappell84 replied to maybembt's response:
thank you for your advice and encouragement

Kim138 responded:
Good morning.

I hear there is a very promising weight loss medication still being studied and not yet approved by the FDA. It supposedly acts on the satiety parts of the brain! I'm watching to see when it is approved. It would be fantastic to have an effective weight loss drug without all the side effects like feeling jittery and irritable. I'll keep you posted if you want!

Good luck to you!
Where there is a will there is a way.

justmejust replied to Kim138's response:
That would be a great product to work on the satiety part of the brain! I look forward to hearing more.
Goal Wt 145 Current Wt 203 Starting Wt 225 Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection. Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight.

Kim138 replied to justmejust's response:
Me too! I'll post if it gets approved :-)
Where there is a will there is a way.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have lost 701bs before many years ago. I am now about 85lbs overweight. I don't have any health issues except my weight. I really want to be at ...More

Helpful Tips

Sugar's effect on your body.
An hour and a half long but worth it. I will watch this multiple times until I know it by heart. Sugar leads to the immediate formation of ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.