Skip to content
Weight loss update
Lonniez posted:
Good evening all,

it has been awhile since I have posted on this wonderful site. I have lost 65lbs to date. I finally hit 174lbs which marks my transition from morbidly obese, obese, overweight to healthy weight! I am still off my diabetes and blood pressure medicine. I also am transitioning from vegan to fruitarian. I feel great and the weight is still coming off although much slower than when I first began my journey. My new goal is 145lbs and I am planning on running a marathon in September.

Tomato05 responded:
Hi Lonniez - your success is really fantastic, and you can feel very proud of yourself.

I am tempted to ask what the key of your success is, but I suppose it is "eating less"?

If you are at a healthy weight (174lb) now, is it necessary to lose another 29 pounds to get to 145lb?

Good luck with your training for the marathon.

rohvannyn responded:
Congratulations! That's great. Curious as to what's allowed in a fruitarian diet. Any kind of fruit I'd imagine, but anything else? I haven't met many who do that so I'm fascinated.
-Roh

Courage is the price that Life exacts itself for granting peace. The soul that knows it not knows no release from little things...

blondie454u responded:
Congrats to you! I am also curious about the fruitarian diet. Please tell us more.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

abnersmom responded:
Congrats! I'm curious about the furitarian diet as well.
Debbie SW 265 CW 193 GW 150 - Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. Ehrmann

Lonniez replied to Tomato05's response:
Good morning,

My success is not eating less. This is what prompted me to seek out this diet. I always eat until I am full. I usually eat 2500 to 3000 calories a day. I exercise at least 30 minutes a day. I also try to run a few miles every few days. The cold weather and a new job put a hold on my running for now. I would like to lose additional weight to help increase my running ability. When you start this new lifestyle you may experience a temporary weight gain but then it comes off. You need to make sure you do not mix acid fruits with sweet fruits as you get a mean case of gas. Fruit must be ripe as well. Fruit that is not ripe such as bananas will be starchy which will not bode well for weight loss.

Lonniez replied to rohvannyn's response:
Hello,
Yes I eat all kinds of fruit. My staple is bananas and Medjool dates mixed as a smoothie. I love watermelon, blueberries, jack fruit and coconuts. Once in awhile I will indulge by eating a durian fruit. I eat spinach, avocados, tomatoes, celery and I use a lemon or lime for the dressing. I have been living the vegan lifestyle for 6 months and have been raw off and on for the past two months. I tend to fall off the wagon every few days. I will be 100% soon. As I mentioned in another post you must be careful when eating fruits. You do not want to eat a sweet fruit such as a banana then consume an acid fruit such as an orange because you will have gas and it can be rather uncomfortable. A good starting point is getting a book at the library called 80/10/10 by Dr. Douglas Graham. He lays out how to be successful on this program. By the way, I have type 2 diabetes and I no longer require meds to control my blood sugar. Most diabetic will tell you that I should be dead eating the way I do. Blood glucose levels have been in check and I feel great. Lastly, I do not consume any animal products nor do I eat any processed foods. I do not consume any added salt. I hope this gives you a general idea. Any more questions please feel free to ask.

Lonniez replied to Lonniez's response:
172lbs, 19.5% body fat and a 24.7BMI!! 70lbs are now gone!! Super excited!!

mefirstforever replied to Lonniez's response:
What do you do for protein and how much do you eat of eat?
Helene GW 140 CW 196 SW 224
Every day is a gift do your best, be kind including to yourself and smile.

Lonniez replied to mefirstforever's response:
Good morning,

I get my protein from bananas, beans and flax seed. The only deficiency I may suffer from is vitamin b. Since I started this new lifestyle the side effects are as follows: No more migraines, no acid reflux, have not caught a cold or flu (usually sick every other week), getting fit and I am no longer carrying around 70 pounds of additional fat!! I am surprised how much push back I get from my dietary choice. For me it works and most importantly I never feel hungry!!! I forgot to add that I have type 2 diabetes and had high blood pressure. I no longer take medication and all vitals are normal. I think our illustrious marketing machine has brain washed the american people into believing many foods are nutritious and required to be healthy. I used to subscribe to it myself but my eyes have been opened and for the first time in over forty years I truly enjoy life.

jis4judy replied to Lonniez's response:
that is awsome the benifits you are getting from your choices
you might consider takeing B vitamins in a suppliment
to be sure .. I read that our bodys accually store B vitamins for a few years so you may not notice the problem for a while ..I like a lot of fruits too my favorite snack food ..
Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

Lonniez replied to jis4judy's response:
Good evening Judy,

hope all is well with you this wonderful day. i have read the same thing regarding vitamin B. I do take sub-lingual b-12 and b2. I consume almond milk and hemp milk which is fortified with calcium, vitamin b and d. I am due for another series of blood tests. I can not tell you how much better I feel since I started on a plant based diet. Many vegans go this route due to concern about the animals and environment. I must say that I am a bit selfish and made the switch for my health. The only thing that gets old is people asking me where I get my protein from but it is part of the territory.

Lonniez replied to Tomato05's response:
Good evening Tomato05,

I have not been on here for awhile but to answer your question of how did i do it? I did not eat less. I switched to a plant based diet and eat mostly fruit with beans thrown in every once in a while. I have energy and actually enjoy exercising now. Due to my extensive time off I was not able to run the marathon this year plus I was not ready. I completed a 20 mile run this past weekend so I am getting close. Many people have been critical of my dietary lifestyle change. I am always told that I dont get enough protein, calcium and b12. Thus far all of my blood work has come back positive. I am going to my doctor Thursday to get a 6 month check up. My advice to drop the pounds is to cut out the processed foods. You would be amazed at how good you feel. Anyway, I am 153lbs and am not in a rush to hit 145. I am confident it will happen.

blondie454u replied to Lonniez's response:
20 mile run??? That's amazing! The most I have ever ran is 2 miles so I tip my hat to you my friend. Congrats on what you have accomplished!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

rohvannyn replied to blondie454u's response:
Congrats on the progress! I get a similar amount of push back from people regarding my Paleo diet, and I have many of the same results from it. Fresh food free of preservatives is great! Even though I eat a lot of meat, I also eat a lot of fruit. With beans as part of your diet there is no mystery regarding your source or protein. I'm glad it's working out for you.
Roh SW 220ish and fluffy CW 178.0 GW 140ish and buff

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 27 years old with a ten month old daughter...I have been heavyset all my life and as i got into high school my weight dropped well ive been going...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.