Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Chia Seeds
SmilingCats posted:
So one day my husband comes home with a bag of seeds. Look like poppy seeds, taste like poppy seeds. He says they are chia seeds. "Like the chia pet?" Exactly!

Well, evidently I didn't marry him just for his looks, because he was on to something.

Benefits of Chia seeds:
-Very rich in omega-3 fatty acids, even more so than flax seeds. (WHAT?!)
- 1 TSBP of Chia seeds provides 5 grams of fiber as well as calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, copper, iron, molybdenum, niacin, and zinc.
- And the biggest benefit? When added to water and allowed to sit for 30 minutes, chia forms a gel - which makes you feel full. (Researchers suggest that this reaction also takes place in the stomach, slowing the process by which digestive enzymes break down carbohydrates and convert them into sugar.)

There's plenty of articles online about it. Here is a source I trust greatly:
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA365093/Chia-for-Health.html

I just like the fact that I can eat a spoonful and get quite a bit of fiber -- seems like I'm always on the lower end of optimal fiber intake.

Anyway, it's food for thought!

Barbara - SW 251, CW 199.5, GW 140
Goal: To learn to celebrate without eating unhealthy food.

rthibado responded:
Thanks for the info - this is my first time joining a discussion group. Hope to keep getting/sharing info during my journey to better health!
RT

zozozJen responded:
Great Info! I just read something about them yesterday the gel in the stomach sounds good.

WELCOME RT! I hope you like the group and good luck with your venture.

Jen

jean4u responded:
Barbara,

I have heard of these Chia seeds but never got around to getting them. I read that you could add them to soups or salads after soaking.

A gal I met in Utah had lost alot of weight and told me that these seeds were helpful in her weightloss.

I can see that these seeds will be helpful in my maintenance. I I like to feel full, so adding the seeds as a "filler" would help me get that full feeling.

Tell your smart husband "thanks" for this info.

Barb

mefirstforever replied to jean4u's response:
Thanks Barb, I will surly try this week,

here is a hamburger recipe with chia and others.

http://becmchia.com/chia-seed-recipes.html?gclid=CKab6_L3ua4CFQff4AodvlTlPg
Helene GW 140 CW 194 SW 224
Every day is a gift do your best, be kind including to yourself and smile.

jean4u replied to mefirstforever's response:
Helene,

Thanks for info!

It really is by adding these little changes that will help us to keep on our journeys.

Barb

SmilingCats replied to rthibado's response:
Hello RTHibado,

Welcome! We're always happy to have new folks join the conversation. This Board has been very helping and encouraging to me, I hope it will be for you as well.

SmilingCats replied to jean4u's response:
Barb,

Hubby drinks kombucha with chia seeds already in them. Evidently they expand 4 to 5 times their original shape when wet. I'm too lazy to soak them before hand, but maybe I should! (I just pop a handful in my mouth.)

I'm not one for quick fixes, as I don't want to get reliant on anything, however, these seeds have some serious nutritional benefits. So, I figured it was worth a shot.

At least twice a week I get what Judy calls the "hunger horrors." This is where I can't seem to feel satisfied and simply want to eat and eat and eat. I am hoping the chia will help with that, too.

SmilingCats replied to mefirstforever's response:
Thanks for posting this, Helene. I have read that the high omega fat content of the seeds makes them useful as a substitute for butter or eggs in baking. I'm going to make some apple walnut bread for a housewarming party and am going to try it.

zozozJen replied to SmilingCats's response:
Weight Loss
  • Besides their high nutritional value and beneficial fatty acid content, chia seeds also contain another property that may be linked to their reported ability to help you lose weight. According to Botanical.com, chia seeds contain a soluble fiber that forms a gelatin-like mass when bound to water. When this happens inside the human digestive tract, it slows the digestive process and helps to effectively alleviate and suppress hunger .

Read more: Chia Seeds & Weight Loss | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5398154_chia-seeds-weight-loss.html#ixzz1nVH2eHRD

zozozJen replied to zozozJen's response:
Chia Gel

"022 Many people watching their weight, or just choosing to eat a healthier diet, use chia gel. To make chia gel, mix 1/3 cup chia seeds with two cups water. Allow the mixture to sit for at least 10 minutes to form the gel. The gel will keep up to three weeks in your fridge.

Mix the gel into smoothies, salad dressings, or yogurt. For a tasty variation, use apple juice instead of water and then just eat the gel straight.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5606982_much-chia-weight-loss_.html

zozozJen replied to zozozJen's response:
Nutrition Facts for Chia Seeds

1 tablespoon 68 calories

http://mychiaseeds.com/NutritionFactsChia.html

rthibado replied to SmilingCats's response:
Thanks!
RT

rthibado replied to zozozJen's response:
Thanks!
RT

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Melanie and I am in college. Since I was young I was obese. I first realized I was overweight in 4th grade when the school nurse weighed me...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
62 of 77 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.