Loving my body
rohvannyn posted:
I just had a realization today and I hope it's useful to others.

I was taking a little one mile walk for my lunch half-hour, and I was feeling the sun and the wind and my legs carrying me along. I realized at that moment that I had never loved my body before and why not? Because it was ugly. Because it didn't do what I wanted. Then I realized that my poor, dear body had been doing its best with what I was giving it, not understanding the circumstances, and having no way to tell me what it needed besides with aches and pains and added weight. Every lump, bulge, hard place, and soft place a testement to my life's journey. Now that I am making friends with my body I notice that it seems to joyfully help me along, but I have to listen to what it really needs.

I imagine a conversation with my body. It wonders why I keep feeding it when it's not really hungry, it faithfully stores the food I give it in case of famine or a long journey. Dutifully it tries to rebuild itself with insufficient nutrients, it asks for more food in hopes that it can get what it needs, and what does it get? more junk. So it does what it can, it asks for more rest because it's not able to continue with such poor quality fuel.

But then it's passenger gets an idea! Better fuel! More nutrients! My body can finally start doing it's job properly with good materials. Realizing this today, I started loving my body because it's doing it's best with what I give it. It carries me along and gives me a home, and even all my bulges and bumps show where my body is trying to protect me against potential famine. I love my legs, stocky and strong from a lifetime of walking. I love my teeth, poor and crooked as they are, as they still chew up my food despite lots of sugar abuse. It goes on and on, as my body and I learn to finally work together.
Roh SW 220ish and blorpy CW 198 GW 140ish and buff

Courage is the price that Life exacts itself for granting peace. The soul that knows it not knows no release from little things...
FirstPrevious12NextLast

zozozJen responded:
Very Good!

apierich responded:
Awesome revelation. To be who you want to be you must first love who you are.
apierich- SW 249 GW 145 CW 200.5

jis4judy responded:
you put into print what i have been feeling for the last 9 years
well said Roh thanks this is just the post I need to recover from my hungry horror night last night
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

abnersmom responded:
Love this Roh. It was just what I was thinking of yesterday and actually posted a link to an article I read about an hour before you posted this! Great minds think alike, right? I'm so grateful for my body that can walk and feel stronger every day.
Debbie SW 265 CW 187 GW 150 - We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated.
Maya Angelou

rohvannyn replied to abnersmom's response:
Ooh, I have to read that, Debbie. I didn't see it. It certainly is a new feeling for me.

Courage is the price that Life exacts itself for granting peace. The soul that knows it not knows no release from little things...

blondie454u responded:
This is so true and realizing this for myself has helped me to maintain. This will help others. Do you mind if I copy and paste to my fb page? I won't put your name or your signature just the words in the post.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

rohvannyn replied to blondie454u's response:
I don't mind at all. In fact, it's an honor that someone wants to pass on my thoughts.

SmilingCats responded:
Well said, Roh. I have thought about that often recently. Moving into a place of gratitude and appreciation from a place of dissatisfaction and anxiety is so helpful on this journey.

At some point, we all can become discouraged because our body is not transforming fast enough. Remembering that our body was faithful to us, even when we were not faithful to it, eases the disappointment and helps us face reality.

One of the books I have been reading has you stand in front of a full-lenght mirror naked, look at each body part and say thanks to it out loud. Seems a bit silly initially, but it's along the same vein as what you're saying. This is the one and only body you've got. Cherish it.

Thanks for the post!
Barbara - SW 251, CW 197, GW 140
Goal: To learn to celebrate life without eating unhealthy food.

blondie454u replied to rohvannyn's response:
Thanks!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

jean4u responded:
Roh,

Good blog!

This insight IS beautiful. It is so easy to lose track of what we have and appreciate what we have. It may not be perfect but it is all we need.

Carry on!!!

Barb

SmilingCats replied to jean4u's response:
Exactly, Barb. Exactly!
Barbara - SW 251, CW 197, GW 140
Goal: To learn to celebrate life without eating unhealthy food.

rohvannyn responded:
This is a bump of an old post because I liked some of the realizations I found, and because I need to keep them in mind right now.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

mog1026 responded:
I love this Roh. Thanks for posting it again so all of us can see it. It's a wonderful way to look at ourselves.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 201.6 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

SharonNVirginia responded:
What a great insight, Roh! I would never expect my high performance car to do well on crappy gasoline, wrong oil weight and underinflated tires. Why do I expect my body to perform well on junk food?
CW 219 SW 265 GW 130
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.-Philippians 4:13