Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New to forum
south70 posted:
Hi everyone,
I am new to this and am looking for some great support.. I am a mom of 3 kids.. 22, 21, and 12 .. I had a Dr for many years that I had trusted and come to find out that he knew that I was prediabetec and never said anything for over 5 years.. I starting having problems with this dr not listening to me.. I ended up having heart surgery because he ignored me saying that I was having fast heart beats, then I wasn't feeling well and my stomach hurt so very bad. I ended up with 2 emergency surgeries later that night because my gallbladder enzymes were over 30,000..They took the test twice to make sure it was accurate.. Anyways, I went to a different dr in a different hospital system.. He is very thorough and found that I was type 2 diabetic.. I am having a very hard time losing the weigh.. When I moved to Wisconsin I weighed 120lbs.. I have gained 100 lbs in 15.5 years..
I am excited to be here..

rohvannyn responded:
Glad to have you here! These are really great folks, and an awesome place you've found. This group has helped me tremendously. And it's good to hear you found a doctor that listens to you. You are a very important part of your medical care team and the doctors need to listen. Best of luck with everything!
Roh SW 220ish and blorpy CW 193.6 GW 140ish and buff

Courage is the price that Life exacts itself for granting peace. The soul that knows it not knows no release from little things...

mefirstforever responded:
Welcome,
I'm glad that you are better know. And resided to join the group. What is you plan? You must have had a lot of information from you new doctor regarding exercise. I use Fitday .com to log my food.

Good luck on you health quest.
Helene GW 140 CW 194 SW 224
Every day is a gift do your best, be kind including to yourself and smile.

jean4u responded:
Hi South70,

How sad to put your trust in that Dr.. Just take care to trust your body and not give up.

We are all trying to stay on a healthy lifestyle. You do fit in here. Look forward to your sharing.

Barb

south70 replied to mefirstforever's response:
I was told if I can drop my weight that I can be off of these wonderful meds. (ha ha ). I am one that is against medication and I fight till the end. In this case I lost the battle and am working my way day by day to lose the weight. I have a dietician and that is an amazing help as well. I am working on not going out to eat all the time as well. I have a wonderful husband and kids who stand behind me all the way. My husband has bought me what ever I have needed to lose my weight.. the latest thing was my treadmill.. I am truly blessed to have the family that I have.. I will just keep moving forward so that I can be around for my children and grand children..

abnersmom responded:
Welcome South70. Good to have you with us. Sounds like you are on the right track now. Best of luck on your healthy journey. Keep us posted on how you are doing.
Debbie SW 265 CW 180 GW 150 - We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated.
Maya Angelou

blondie454u replied to south70's response:
That is great that you have such a good support system! That will help keep you motivated. Glad you've joined us. Looking forward to all your post.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

rthibado responded:
Hi,

Welcome to the group! Everyone is very supportive and helpful. I live in WI too - great spring we are having! I have three daughters - 23, 22 and 13. I'm getting healthy this year after a bad year last year and I want to set a good example for my kids! Glad to hear you are on track too - I love my family doc, but would get a second opinion in a hurry if I didn't like her answer. Got to trust ourselves.
RT

jis4judy responded:
Hi South70
Just adding my welcome You have gotten som great advice and tips allready
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

south70 replied to rthibado's response:
Are you in Northern Wisconsin? that is funny.. My son will be 23 soon and my daughter 22 and my other daughter will be 13 soon as well.. .. We are having an amazing spring.. I have been out kayaking a couple times already..
I would rather be hated for who I am, then to be loved for who I am not ~ Kurt Cobain

south70 replied to jis4judy's response:
Thank you!
I would rather be hated for who I am, then to be loved for who I am not ~ Kurt Cobain

norma_j responded:
Welcome South70, glad you found us. Look forward to hearing more from you. Keep coming back, these folks are wonderful people and have drastically changed the way I see and think about foods. If you already enjoy kayaking .. that is a great exercise. Go for walks. Even if it is just parking at the end of a parking lot and walking to the store and back. Little changes have the greatest impact when your consistent.

Norma
SW 222/ CW 198/ GW 150

Failure is not an option when Success requires just a little more effort!

bizzygirl1212 replied to south70's response:
It is difficult to get off meds but it is doable. Don't give up, I got off Actos entirely(good now they show it can cause heart attacks and strokes) . I cut glyburide in half. the Doctor says if I can keep it up I may be off all diabetes II meds. What a worthy goal. The key for me is portion control and exercise. Good Luck and Don't give up!!!

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi, Welcome!
I'm very glad you stumbled into our mixing pot. We have a great support group here. We chat about just about everything. Family, pets, our journeys, our significant others.... it helps to just come here and blog what's on our minds, whenever the mood strikes because this journey isn't just about diet, it's about your state of mind.
It sounds like you really have got a good stabile support group. Interesting that you already have a nutritionist and are still looking for online support groups.... How do you feel about what the nutritionist is doing for you, if I may ask...
Best advice is , don't kick yourself too hard or make yourself feel too bad about periodic munchy attacks. If you want that piece of pie or cake. Have it. One piece won't kill you and you can always make up for it somewhere else. The big thing is to NOT eat a steady diet of unhealthy foods. To refocus and keep a handle on out of control eating and to exercise regularly. Walking is a great way to do it and it's a great stress buster.
I started in Jan of this year. Had just been diagnosed with OMG high , high blood pressure and was put on meds for it, which I strenuously fought against. About a month and a half ago, went in to have bp checked and I'm now right in the middle of normal and off my meds, so Yes it is possible to get off meds by living a healthier lifestyle. I did it, Judy did it, Marybeth did it, I think Debbie did too...... You can too.
stay strong and check in often
kim
Kim SW 243 CW 184.4 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

Spotlight: Member Stories

Well, my name is Mardee. I am 22 years old and married to my amazing husband for almost 3 years now. And here is my story. I used to be thinner than...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Link to the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner
To let people know how to find it, go to WebMD home page it's listed on there, but here's the easy link for you ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.