Skip to content
pity party
abnersmom posted:
Hi friends, I'm having a pity party and I thought I'd invite you all. I did something to my upper back, either spine or shoulder - the pain radiates. Had x-rays yesterday, but won't know what's going on until Monday. In the meantime, I'm not allowed to do anything and I'm on a massive dose of steroids, along with muscle relaxers and pain meds. I gained 3 lbs. in one day eating as I normally do these days. So, not only am I in constant pain but even though I know it's not actual fat, I've gained!!! So frustrated. I was getting ready to finish week 4 of Couch 2 5K and now I fear I won't be doing that for a while. I guess, I should be more worried about what is wrong than I am about the weight and loss of progress in my running, LOL! Need to get some perspective here. It helps to put my thoughts into words to see how crazy my thinking can be. Thanks for letting me whine. Have a great weekend everyone from the grumpy couch potato. On the bright side, Abner, the POODLE, is loving snuggling on the couch.
Debbie SW 265 CW 176 GW 150 - Today, I choose the higher road -
the path of charity, acceptance, love, selflessness, kindness.
- Jonathan Lockwood Huie

FirstPrevious12NextLast

jis4judy responded:
Oh debbie I am sorry to hear of your painful situation
just rest and eat as healthy as you can it will help your body heal ..
good snuggle time with abner will ease your suffering I am sure of that ..
gentle hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

jean4u responded:
Debbie,

Soft hug! Give yourself time to mend. You are right to back burner exercise at this time.

Awhile back, I had shoulder pain. After a week or so of pain, a massive bruise appeared. I could not recall anything I had done to cause this injury. But, I could not use that side and sleeping was painful.

I survived my "grumpy" time and you will, too, just hang in there.

Look at this as a blip on the radar of this journey. Stuff happens.

After my shoulder got better, I GRADUALLY worked at building back that muscle. Really, I could hardly lift a 8 oz. glass. So give yourself time, even after you are better to work up very slowly.

Pain is a sign of injury. So glad that you were smart and went for x-rays. Tell us what you find out.

BTW, my couch potato favorite shows are "Snapped" (killing cheating spouses) and Lifetime movies (alot of revenge going on in these). Get the air popcorn ready and get some sugarfree drinks.

Abner is probably in poodle heaven having a snuggle partner. Good thing he's lightweight, too!

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Barb

abnersmom replied to jean4u's response:
Thanks Judy and Barb. I appreciate the gentle hugs - it helps _ REALLY. I will eat healthy and I will do what the doctor says to get better. I think the meds are finally kicking in. Am feeling some relief from the pain. Love Lifetime movies...haven't seen Snapped as I so rarely have time to watch TV. Might hunt for that one too. Will keep you posted re the injury or whatever it is.
- Jonathan Lockwood Huie

norma_j responded:
Gentle Hug Debbie.. Hope everything turns out okay! Just keep eating sensible. I know all about what steroids do to you.. don't worry too much about weight at this point .. it's just a number. Steroids actually will make you retain water. That kind of weight is easy to get rid of once you are back up and moving.

I'm sure Abner is loving his snuggle time. Animals know when there best friend is not feeling well and they will try to take the pain away. Enjoy your time and heal.
Norma SW 222/ CW 193/ GW 150

Failure is not an option when Success requires just a little more effort!

totallywiggedout responded:
Sometimes FATE puts speedbumps in our road to make us slow down. Maybe something you were doing wasn't quite right in form for your body. Keep positive, you KNOW that those steroids are to blame for the weightgain. Keep your perspective positive.
In the meantime, Standing exercises will probably hurt (as I'm sure deep breaths hurt atm too) . I hurt my back once, overdoing it with a chainsaw..... Picture me out trying to cut big limbs that had cracked down out of my HUGE maple but had gotten stuck on the way down.... so these puppies were still hanging some 6 or 7 feet off the ground, waving this normal sized CHAINSAW over my head for , like 4 hours. NO FRIGGEN WONDER MY BACK HURT!! lol 5 weeks of twice weekly visits to the chiropractor later, and LOTS of drugs, I was once again chainsaw ready
ANYHOW, the exercises. Try some seated exercises, like seated marching, squeezing a small childs playground ball between your knees, wrapping both your knees together fairly loosly with an ace bandage and pulling your knees apart against the resistance, short leg lifts raising your heels off the floor just a few inches and holding for a count of 8, stuff like that that won't hurt your back but will keep your legs in shape for your delayed week 4 .
Super big, soft hugs though. You'll get better, this is just a breather from the regular stuff. kk?
Kim SW 243 CW 206.6 GW 135

All the Dreamers are Dieting

It takes a lot of courage to show your dreams to someone else.--Erma Bombeck

apierich responded:
Been there, done that, have the paperwork to prove it. Don't try any exercises that you feel in you back, and with it hurting you will find that things you never thought you used those muscles for you do. Don't let the weight gain get to you, it's water mostly, so eat reasonably which may mean less than you are lately, but also remember that for your body to heal muscle it needs protein and iron, plenty of it.
apierich- SW 249 GW 145 CW 194

mefirstforever responded:
Hi Debbie,
I'm sorry you got hurt, and glad the med are kicking in.

I would give you a bar, bear, bare or a beer hug??? But I'm sending you just gentle kitty stroke and petting for Abner.

Get better soon!!!
Helene GW 140 CW 196.8 SW 224
Every day is a gift do your best, be kind including to yourself and smile.

totallywiggedout replied to mefirstforever's response:
Helene, lol, BEAR, bear hug. Like when a grizzly grabs you and "hugs" you.

totallywiggedout replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Then again.... if it's from a hillbilly or Texan, it's pronounced like BAR, if they do it in the nude, it'd be a BARE hug, and if its outside a bar, it's gonna prolly smell like a BEER hug

jean4u replied to totallywiggedout's response:
KIM,

Ha, ha!!!

Barb

abnersmom replied to norma_j's response:
Thanks everyone. A little better today - thank heavens. Weighed in at 175.8 this morning - crazy, huh? Thanks for all the hugs, bear/bare/beer/bar! LOL! Next step to find out what the heck started all this. Just a bump in the road, I hope. Should motivate me to do some upper body work - which I don't. Sat outside in the sun for a while with a friend yesterday - made me appreciate how far I've come in a year. I was actually thinking boy, I wish I could jog on a beautiful day like this. Now that is progress, my friends. Have a wonderful day, you gals are fabulous!
- Jonathan Lockwood Huie

totallywiggedout replied to abnersmom's response:
A weight drop in the midst of your madness.... IT'S A SIIIIIIGNNNNN ! lol, well probably not, but , maybe all of our uplifting comments brought you closer to the eye of whoever is in charge of weight management.
Glad you are feeling less stressed about your current and very temporary situation.
grins and giggles
Kim

jis4judy replied to abnersmom's response:
Hi Debbie so glad you are feeling better maybe if you do upper body work with weights
start slowly and increase as you get stronger no need to reinjure yourself ok ?

Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

abnersmom replied to jis4judy's response:
Judy, I actually discussed this with my doctor and, of course, this will be after he gives me the go ahead to exercise again. He told me not to do free weights until I build up my back muscles - something about additional stress from the balancing or something. He recommended swimming and some specific weight machines. We have a beautiful rec center at my university that I do not take advantage of, but will start. I've always been intimidated by those machines and all the cute little college girls in there. Another new adventure on my healthy journey.
- Jonathan Lockwood Huie

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a senior citizen who is STILL looking to re-reach a goal set years ago. 50 lbs. would be wonderful! Because of a heart problem, a diagnosis ...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.