Skip to content
Quick (Kinda) Science Lesson
apierich posted:
Ok, this is something I have been saying for a while but actually writting it down every now and then seems to help keep it all in perspective when it comes to food.

Think back to those high school days in a physical science class and you may remember that Calories are actually a measure of energy. At first a calorie (with a little c) was the amount of energy (heat) it took to raise the temperature of one gram of water by one degree celcius. Now it is used as a measurment for energy from food, with one big difference. A Calorie (with a big C) is actually a kilocalorie or 1000 calories (with a little c.) It is the amount of energy that can be found in food (i.e. the amount of heat a food would put off while burning to raise how ever many 1000 kilograms of water by 1 degree celcius) is what we see on the nutrition lables. If I haven't lost you yet, please hang on, and if I have lost you, keep reading and it might click.

So, where is the origin of all of this energy? The sun. The rays of the sun are eaten up by plants that are then either eaten by omnivores or herbivores (either animals who eat plants exclusively or those that eat plants and animals) which then in their digestion turn what energy they can from that plant into energy for themselves. If the animal does not use all of the energy they take in from the plants then they store it like little batteries as fat. If you are an herbivore, or vegetarian as humans call themselves when they are herbivorous, you can still store fat from the plants you take in although since the kilocalorie content of your food is not as dense as other forms of food it takes more to have leftover to be fat. Now if you are an omnivore like many humans are you take in not only the light kilocalorie pack of plants, you also take in the kilocalories packed much more densely (because it has already been processed once from plant to animal) and therefore really need less of the animal based kilocalories to meet your regular energy need. Since the human body wants to survive and therefore will pack in as much energy as it can and not want to let go of it, it can be easy to overly consume the animal based energy source and possibly even shun the plant based forms because it takes so much more of them to have enough energy to store. That is why everything tastes better cooked in butter (or other animal based fats that are easier for the body to break down and transfer into it's own fats or energy stores, not that fat makes you fat though, too much fat is what can make you fat as too much of any energy source can make you fat.)

Now, lets just think about this for a minute. Calories are energy, too many Calories for a days work will be stored for later work, they are stored as fat on animal bodies, so fat is energy. FAT IS ENERGY! Every ounce of fat you have on your body is like a battery waiting to be used. Sure, if it doesn't have to be used it will want to sit there waiting until it is needed as a survival tool and because of that your body will make you think it has no energy so it doesn't have to use what is has stored up. You will be hungry, you will want to take a nap instead of exercising or even doing daily chores, but it is just your body telling your mind it knows what is best for you without having all the information about how bad it is to hold on to that energy for too long without using it. There are some days your body will love using up these energy stores, like a kid sitting around playing a video game, it's exciting and fun. The more you use these stores the easier it is for your body to use all energy you give it through the Calories in food.

Look at yourself and don't think about how ugly that fat is, look at it and think "Man, my body has so much energy, I might as well use it while I can!" and stay motivated on your journey. My body is covered with batteries and I am ready to use them.
apierich- SW 249 GW 145 CW 194
FirstPrevious12NextLast

maybembt responded:
Now a feel like the Eveready bunny.
Marybeth 228-202-150

I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses.
NOW CHOOSE LIFE (Deut 30:19)

apierich responded:
Ran out of room, here is some more food for thought (pun kinda intended.)

So, what happens when we keep batteries around the house too long? They corrode and burst, becoming useless. You can't use a corroded battery to power anything because even if it does still have enough harnessable energy the acids will cause more harm to your electronics than it is worth. You can think the same of excess fat on your body. The longer it hangs around, the more intertwined it gets with your organs, causing them to not be able to function properly (i.e. type 2 diabetes, fatty liver and kidneys, fat pushing in on the heart and lungs, etc.) so it is actually more harmful to your body to keep them than to get rid of them. I am still useful so I have to make sure that my body is still useful, which is where going about losing these extra batteries in a healthy way comes into play so that I (think the electronic device) can continue to be useful. When I get rid of all of these extra batteries I have to maintain (just as I would perform maintenance on any electronic device, checking batteries for corrosion, etc.) my body so that I don't look in the mirror one day and realize I have a whole pack of D batteries sitting in the back of the junk drawer that has corroded to usless and dangerous.

jis4judy replied to apierich's response:
I like what you wrote apierich energy from fat is right on ..
and must be used before it becomes useless.

awsome thoughts
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout responded:
Really good conceptual thinking. Nice way of putting it so that we all understand and can actaully visualize it. You are right of cours, unfortunately, I seem to have alot of corroded batteries sitting around, like ALL OVER the place. LOL.
But, I'm trying to be energy efficient and recycle.
Thanks Apierich, good topic.
Kim SW 243 CW 205.4 GW 135

All the Dreamers are Dieting

It takes a lot of courage to show your dreams to someone else.--Erma Bombeck

mefirstforever replied to apierich's response:
What came to mind, I think I was an hoarder of fat. I was using this to hide from something or cover up ???
This has been a process and I slowly letting go and as well the old rutting batteries.

Did you ever see that show hoarders?
Helene GW 140 CW 196.8 SW 224
Every day is a gift do your best, be kind including to yourself and smile.

totallywiggedout replied to mefirstforever's response:
Yes, and I absolutely HATE when these people are found weeks after being killed , crushed under their own accumulated masses. It's usually so bad in the houses from various smells, rodent or domestic animal droppings and old food containers that the cadaver dogs miss the actualy signals of death when in the homes to try to find the people. Is that nasty or what?
I refuse to be crushed by my own accumulated (body)mass anymore! GRRRRRR I AM WOMAN HEAR ME ROAR!!!!
LOL

abnersmom replied to mefirstforever's response:
yes, Helene. I totally agree and there iare psychological theories out there that agree with us. We are "covering," "hiding" or just metaphorically feel we are carrying a heavy load.
Debbie SW 265 CW 176 GW 150 - Today, I choose the higher road -
the path of charity, acceptance, love, selflessness, kindness.
- Jonathan Lockwood Huie

jean4u replied to mefirstforever's response:
Helene,

Did somebody say "Hoarders" (the tv show)......I can relate to that disorder.

For me it was triggered by a loss of people in my life and when my kids went off to college. The physical items that these people left behind became very important to me.

Well when it came time to sell my house I had to make a choice.....keep the "stuff" or clear and sell. It took me several months to clear it out and just like the tv show, this is very emotional.

Barb

jean4u replied to abnersmom's response:
Debbie,

When I was packing or "hoarding" my weight, I did not weigh myself for years. It was just like a pile of clutter, that a hoarder does not see. It's when we start clearing our hoard/clutter, one pile at a time. This happens only by taking off the blinders that are preventing us from dealing with our reality.

We have to be ready in our heads....but then, I think if we get up and move we change our thinking.

Barb

mefirstforever replied to jean4u's response:
Barb,
Like most, we had to do some cleanup before starting this journey. You are so right about the blinders, when I retired July 2010, I could not believe the pictures. Who was that person; Fat so out of shape, I looked sick and sad. It was like; I was meeting myself for the first time.
After the initial shock, I started reading and surfing the Internet, looking for the magical formula. I started lurking on Webmd and found this wonderful group.
There is a lot of cleaning left but with this group I get what was missing. Support and understanding to continues this quest for health and well-being.
Apierich you certainly gave us food for thought.
Helene GW 140 CW 196.8 SW 224
Every day is a gift do your best, be kind including to yourself and smile.

jean4u replied to mefirstforever's response:
Helene, you are right about APIERICH giving us something to get our noggins going. That is why I love this board! So many topics to get me going. Definitely NO bored views on THIS board!

Barb

apierich replied to mefirstforever's response:
Thanks everyone, I have been so busy I haven't been on since I posted. I have known that calories are energy and fat is just stored calories since those days in highschool, I just have to write it all out every now and then to remind myself about how I really should look at my weight problems. It helps to stop yourself from looking at your fat as ugly and looking at it instead as stored energy.

Barb, I totally agree with the hoarding analogy also. I know when I graduated college with an 8 day old and a totally unsupportive husband (read angry that I graduated and he didn't and afraid I was going to move on so became a total jerk for a while) I really started gaining. I lost the weight from that pregnancy then found out I was pregnant again right after finally getting my baby to eat regularly (she was a lazy nurser and still to this day 4 years later getting her to eat is like pulling teeth, in fact I would rather be pulling my own teeth with a rusty set of pliers than fight with her regularly to get her to eat.) Then the post partum depression hit and I fell apart and piled on the weight. I was 195 when I got pregnant with both of my last two and after having my last is when I ate to hide the pain and dissapointment of my state at that time. I was hiding behind my weight because if people focused on that then they wouldn't have asked about everything else that was causing my pain because I felt it was all my fault, that something I had done caused all of the problems my family was going through. I still have days I feel completely overwhelmed and have to keep from going back to the depressed thought process. It is tough, but I am so much more than the dissapointments in my life, and hey, they have to be there for some reason because there are good things that come out of the bad. Out of manuer the roses grow.

totallywiggedout replied to apierich's response:
Hey, Apierich, I wanna talk about your 4 yr old for a sec. K? In essence it sounds that she is in fact mirroring your love hate relationship with food. You love to eat, hate how it makes you fat, bingeing more when you are depressed and stressed. You know, since she's right there with you, maybe she's picking up on those food vibes that have been literally ruling your life for her entire life.... the trick is , with little kids, to find what they like, not what you want to feed them. My granddaughter was a picky eater until I cleared out an entire lower cupboard, went shopping with her and she picked her own "staples" to put in the cupboard, Then we hit the fresh fruits and veggies and she got to pick stuff she wanted, and I purchased in small amounts, like rebagging a small amount of grapes, just for her and such. She also got an entire lower drawer in the kitchen fridge just for her stuff that she could get out and eat as she wanted them. She was just ready to make her own choices. Of course, peanut butter and crackers don't sound like the best plan for a lifetime, but she also was experimenting with dipping her baby carrots into that same jar of peanut butter, which really wasn't so bad. It's weird but I have read that kids have an almost ingrained idea of what to eat that will keep them healthy. For the time being, it may be worth a shot, because , hon, about this, you sound like you are at your wit's end.... chin up , the terrible two's only last until they are 6 or so. lol

jean4u replied to apierich's response:
Apierich,

I'm so glad you came here. You are sooo much more than your life struggles. Like you say, we must focs on the good and look for the roses!

Barb

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a stay at home mom of 2 wonderful boys ages 4 and 13. I have struggled with my weight and eating disorders all of my life. I have been too thin ...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.