Skip to content
Graduation Party - off topic help
justmejust posted:
Hi all,

We're having a High School graduation party at our house for my first born son and are very happy for John.

I am writing because it was going to be a small open house of mostly John's friends and some of their parents stopping by for making your own sandwiches and cupcakes, but has turned into a combined family reunion since a cousin from another state is bringing his wife and son and my aunt to our state that weekend for a family get together which hasn't happened in more than 20 or 30 years. So now I invited them and my other aunt and uncle and three cousins and spouses and kids! We'll still keep it a casual summer open house grad party.

I am not worried about over eating at the party, but I am already beginning to worry about fitting everyone in the house/yard and everyone feeling comfortable, having enough chairs, and enough space for food and chairs. And worried about the extra pre-cleaning house and setting up tables on deck and food on indoor tables.

Also my caring oldest brother and his sweet wife sometimes don't seem to click well with me, and my nice step mom (I lost my mom to cancer) is naturally very uncomfortable with large family gatherings.

The party is June 23 which could be hot here where I live, hence more people indoors.

The stress is challenging me already as I am starting to fail at my best efforts of trying to focus on staying relaxed, and focus on the positive enjoyment this will bring with good friends and family.

Laura
Laura 146 - 196 - 225 Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection. Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight.

jis4judy responded:
Good luck laura I am lousy at party planning. I hope it goes well//
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout responded:
I had a situation like this when my twins graduated. We have a local 4H "fair grounds" right in the county seat, very close to my house. They usually have really good deals on the rental of those big folding banquet tables and metal chairs for their halls. You might chk there. I got 8 tables and 50 chairs for a whole weekend for about 50 dollars. Better yet, this far in advance try to secure an outdoor gazebo or shelter at a local park from the park maintenance offices. This way the only thing you have to do is cart the food and bring in your own trash bags.
Kim SW 243 CW 205.4 GW 135

All the Dreamers are Dieting

It takes a lot of courage to show your dreams to someone else.--Erma Bombeck

justmejust replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thanks Judy and Kim,

I actually look forward to having everyone here at my house because I like seeing them all and not everyone has been here before. And since my mom isn't around it's one way to get the family together, which I miss.

The work preparing will stress me, especially as it nears, but I tend to enjoy the hosting and seeing everyone.

I still worry about having the house and yard in order, and I really hope that my dear sister in law and step mom can enjoy it, if they can even make it.

I guess I can't really help my dear step mom enjoy family get togethers, and I can't control my dear brother and sister in law's attitudes toward me and the way I do things.
Laura 146 - 196 - 225 Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection. Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight.

jean4u replied to justmejust's response:
Laura,

Sending good wishes and support your way!

When I had grad parties, I lived in the country with a septic tank and worried about overuse of that and possible problems.

I had the food partially catered and did some grilling. Food was set up in the garage and luckily the weather was good and people able to sit on the deck and gazebo.

Also, parking was ok as we had 2 acres.

Just figure out what is doable and affordable.

Also, the "people" issues will work out, they always seem to.

Let us know what you plan.

Barb

BTW, Take care of YOU!!!

blondie454u responded:
I use to have these kind of get togethers before I lost my house but I didn't stress. I just did it and if ppl didn't like it they can leave. It's my house and provided the food and such so be thankful to be there and enjoy family time.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

mefirstforever responded:
Hi Laura,

You must be so proud of your son. He is very lucky to have a mother that is willing to go true this entire organization for him.

Maybe you can make a list of things you wish you could make and then prioritize and illuminate what is not necessary. Also you could make a time frame, so you don't feel to overwhelm. (That is the administrator in me talking). LOL.

Hope you have a great party with a cool breeze and lots of Ice tea or lemonade.
Helene GW 140 CW 196.8 SW 224
Every day is a gift do your best, be kind including to yourself and smile.

norma_j replied to justmejust's response:
You will do just fine Laura, like my best friend always told me .. "I'm coming to see you, Not your house". Just get done what needs to be cared for in the yard and hope and pray for a gorgeous day. Like Helene says .. make a list and prioritize what is important and what doesn't really need to be done.

As for tables and chairs .. If you have volunteer fire departments around like we do, they will some times loan them out for donations. It doesn't hurt to ask. The most they can do is say no! OR You can support your local rental store.. tables and chairs are usually pretty inexpensive.

Enjoy your time with the family .. they won't be there forever!
Norma SW 222/ CW 192/ GW 150

Failure is not an option when Success requires just a little more effort!

justmejust replied to norma_j's response:
Thank you Norma,

That's how I feel, family won't be here forever!

apierich replied to justmejust's response:
Laura, you should also remember that if all people talk about during or remember after is what was wrong with a great get together for such an awsome occasion it says more abou them than the person they are criticizing. It will all be fine and a good workout in the process. Like others have said, take care of you too. It won't be any fun for your if you are over stressed or sick from freaking out about every little thing. One trick I learned in theatre is that you have to roll with the punches and the closer the time comes for curtain up you have to be ok with whatever there is because there isn't time to change it anyway.
apierich- SW 249 GW 145 CW 194

Spotlight: Member Stories

It took me many years to put on this extra 100 lbs plus and I know it will take me some time to get it off but one day at a time and God by my side I ...More

Helpful Tips

Getting the most out of oatmeal
As an oatmeal fan, I was surprised to find that instant oatmeal didn't stick with me the way rolled oats did. When I switched back to ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.