Skip to content
A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum
totallywiggedout posted:
Remember that Monty Python movie?? LOL God I love Monty Python.... Anyway, my dears, I pulled such a boner today, I simply MUST share it with you all.
This am I did my mile walk.. no biggie, this is normal. I'm ok with normal, aren't you? But during my walk at Restoration Park today, and yesterday and the day before.... well since Feb. actually, I've been wondering why the city is letting this beautiful park fall into ruin. For the prior two years, I'd encountered park personnel on 4 wheelers checking the trails, and well, restoring Restoration Park. But not at all this year. NONE. There are now several rungs of the handrails on the walking bridges missing or broken, and many warped, soft or broken foot boards also. And , the trail is getting harder and harder to traverse because the various bushes, grasses and trees are now trying to TAKE BACK their territory..... and today I just got sick of it.
Came home after the walk, ate, read a bit, logged and blogged, then around 230 this afternoon, went back out there with my trusty water bottle, my hand snippers, and my long handled limb cloppers, lol.
This is where it gets a little iffy, the temperatures were hovering just a hair under 100 at 2:30pm here..... so , I walked the trail, cutting and clipping everything that was growing on (or threatening to) my beloved trail. So far , so good. I got to the 1/4 mile mark and started doing the short wooden bridge. this thing had vines wrapped around several places, tree limbs, nasty thorns and nettles, it was a terrible mess. So on i went. Got to the end, and started in on this bush, and I use this term loosely because it was more thorny vine than bush.
I was suddenly overcome with nausea (which I barely controlled), tunnel vision that beconed me to fall to my knees and this is where I found myself thinking that , for God Sake KIM! You have heatstroke and you are gonna faint out here in the damned wilderness! I vagely remember that I was worried I may have to call my bf out of work to come rescue me .... I was near the end of that bridge so while standing I laid my head onto the handrail to keep steady and try to control my roiling stomach.... god what a mess! lol
Drank some more water and rested my head again, so that it was lower than my heart to help the blood flow, finally got myself together to make the 1/4 mile walk back to my car.

Make sure to take your water with you wherever you wander, carry your cell phone, be safe .Take extra care to let someone know where you are walking/jogging. MAKE SURE TO WATCH FOR SIGNS OF HEAT EXHAUSTION in this weather.
Huggs to all
Kim
Kim SW 243 CW 191.6 GW 135

Many of Life's failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. --- Thomas Edison

FirstPrevious12NextLast

norma_j responded:
Wow Kim, You need to be careful out in that heat!! I try to do outdoor work in the AM or early evening unless I get rained out from typical afternoon storms.

Great exercise to do yardwork .. but you should carry your tools with you on the morning walk and do a little each day.

It's funny what we will do to continue with a habit that we have created for ourselves. with all the cutbacks going on around the country they have probably decided that the trail is not worthy of their money to keep it up which is crazy because when they do get back to it, it will cost them way more than just minimal to get it back to safe. I'm sure you will do whatever you can to help keep it safe and cleaned up for you to use.

Be careful ... Hugggggs
Norma SW 222/ CW 197/ GW 150

Failure is not an option when Success requires just a little more effort!

totallywiggedout replied to norma_j's response:
Thanks Norma J. You are right, of course. Hard lesson learned.
Funny, I just hadn't noticed that I'd stopped sweating. Then my heart did what felt like a full roll over, Bah Boomp, that was my only warning of the onset of it. It just happened so darned quick.
I went to my bf's shop , it is closer to trail than home, and sat in their ac'd break room and drank another 32 oz of cooler water. When I first got there I noticed my tank top only had a small U of sweat at the front neckline, after sitting and rehydrating, my lt gray tank top was fully dark gray and dripping!
Since I try to watch my sodium I don't drink gatorade or anything like that, so today, I'm going to let my electrolytes rebuild naturally through the sodium in my foods and am not going out into the heat. I'll be doing my Walmart "cart" walk today, so that I can stay in a cooler environ.
huggs back
K
Kim SW 243 CW 191.6 GW 135

Many of Life's failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. --- Thomas Edison

jis4judy replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Hi Kim thats sounds scary you must have been a tad nervous , I do know from experience I do not work outside during a heat wave , remember all those weeds I tackled when I came home around the middle of June well they all made a comback appearance while it was too hot to go out and pull them out so when there is a break in the weather I will tackle them again ...No yard work in the heat
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

abnersmom responded:
Jeez, Kim. Glad you are okay. My sister had bypass surgery in March and has been going to rehab. They told her whole group not to exercise if the temp is above 80 degrees. I asked her to ask if that should be true for everyone. They said yes. Well, it sounds like you have the same heat that we have and if you wait for 80 or below, you will never exercise outside in the summer, but it did make me think about exercising indoors more. I actually have a treadmill, but I hate walking on it when I can be outside instead.

P.S. I wish I were as dedicated to exercise as this post makes me sound. LOL!
Debbie SW 265 CW 163.6 GW 150 - If you are going down a road and don't like what's in front of you and look behind you and don't like what you see, get off the road. Create a new path! Angelou

jean4u responded:
Kim,

Glad you survived....that could have been a close call. I understand the frustration you must feel over the neglect of your park, but really it is too much for one, yes, even a SUPER gal to take on. The park where I walk is very well maintained. But almost everday, there are work crews out there in the gators with power yard tools.

Anyway, do the indoor Wallyworld workout for now. Finding a safe outdoor place to walk is sometimes hard to do.

Glad you are safe and sound and thanks for the heads up warning. Heat exhaution is to be taken seriously.

Barb

totallywiggedout replied to jis4judy's response:
Oh Judy! After all that yard work you did, you would figure your yard would pay you back by shoving the weeds toward the neighbors.... . Well, you know there's no rest for the wicked , right? lol
It was scary. I really almost did cry with relief when the dizziness passed and I was able to walk out on my own.
I've promised myself (and my bf and my kids) that I won't do it for more than an hour at each try. Which means , with the walk in, then I can only cut the jungle for no more than 30-40 min. It will probably take the rest of the summer but I'll make headway.
It's sort of the perfect metaphor for our journeys.
Cut a little here, a little there. It doesn't look like much from day to day but it sure adds up.
Huggs
K
Kim SW 243 CW 190.6 GW 135

totallywiggedout replied to abnersmom's response:
It was just a stupid mistake. I know all the signs, just wasn't paying attention. When I do bushes, my mind seems to just shut off and I go into machete mode, lol.
I can't wait till its only 80 outside. I love my walks , morning and evening and need them, but I will be way more careful from here on out, Debbie, believe me.
Huggs
K

totallywiggedout replied to jean4u's response:
Oh Barb, I don't even WANT to be Supergirl ya know? I just want to have the energy, the patience and the fortitude to change one or two things for the better before the day I die. lol.
I just love that park so much. What it stands for to me in the process of my journey.... I literally could not have lost the 50ish lbs so far without that walking area. I just want to pay it back some. For the other walkers/joggers and runners, and for me.
Huggs
K

rohvannyn replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Glad you are doing all right, Kim! Also nice how you are helping the trail, when funding for maintenance has evidently been cut.

Y'know, if I had to abide by the "don't exercise over 80 degrees" injunction, I'd have to either exercise only at dawn, and not always even then, or only in the middle of winter! The lack of humidity during spring and fall really helps though. 80 degrees starts to feel like normal room temperature.
Roh SW 220ish and fluffy CW 179.4 GW 140ish and buff

Courage is the price that Life exacts itself for granting peace. The soul that knows it not knows no release from little things...

jis4judy replied to rohvannyn's response:
Hi Roh I know what you meen by 80 being normal temps i spent 3 years in Phoenix AZ as a teenager a long time ago when you live in an area like that your body adjusts to the heat some but I was a too skinny kid back then .I was there to hopefuly cure my asthma ..it didn't work i was allergic to burmuda grass ..
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

blondie454u replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Glad your ok but understand were you are coming from. I don't like quitting on things that didn't give up on me. I like to do things until they are done or I can't seem to do anything else. Maybe you should put a petition out for all the other runners and walkers that use the park to see if they could pitch in either by donations or helping restore it.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

totallywiggedout replied to blondie454u's response:
I've actually been thinking of that. Or asking if the jail "trustees" could be put to use on that for awhile instead of the usual roadside junk details they seem to always be doing. I already have my bf enlisted to help me weed wack some this weekend so that I don't overdo it again. The big stuff like the bridge repairs, I'll wait. Maybe with the heat the city just isn't into getting their people out there doing it, so perhaps in the Fall. If not, then I'll go ahead and petition or maybe even ask Home Depot and Lowe's for some "donations" for the park repairs. I'm not above begging for a good cause, lol.

jean4u replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Kim, I think asking Home Depot and Lowe's for the materials is really good....they could write it off on taxes and you with your "journalistic" abilities could do an article praising them.

I'm sure the people w/DUI's need o do community work and this sounds like a good possibility.

Yaay YOU!!!

Barb

norma_j replied to totallywiggedout's response:
You must really love that trail to want to help take care of it.. you should put a sign up of some sort at the beginning of the trail to get volunteers to help with the repairs. Great idea on getting HD or Lowe's to donate.

Good Luck with your new venture.
Norma SW 222/ CW 197/ GW 150

Failure is not an option when Success requires just a little more effort!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 25 years old, living in Northern California. I have struggled with my weight my entire life and have yo-yoed as long as I can remember. I am d...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.