Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Just Hanging Around
thistledown1973 posted:
I've hung around this board for years, and I've had my ups and downs. I thought I'd say hello and occasionally throw my two cent's worth out there.

Hope you all have a fine day; I am currently finishing up night shift at work and looking forward to my bike ride home.

Heaviest weight = 297

Starting weight = 280.6 (May 26 2012)
Medications: Metformin 2000mg, Victoza 1.8mg, Lantus Solostar 24 units

Current weight = 251.0 (July 24, 2012)
Medications: Metformin 2000mg, Victoza 0.6mg NO MORE INSULIN
FirstPrevious12NextLast

jis4judy responded:
Hi thisle
Great job on the pounds removed You must be doing something right 46 down from your top weight 29 down from starting weight thats awsome
Hope your ride home is good
thanks for checking in
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

abnersmom responded:
Hi Thistle, Glad you checked in. Way to go on the loss - weight and meds! We welcome your 2 cents!
Debbie SW 265 CW 163.6 GW 150 - If you are going down a road and don't like what's in front of you and look behind you and don't like what you see, get off the road. Create a new path! Angelou

jean4u responded:
Hey Thistle,

Add your 2 cents worth more often! Good for you to be down 46 WTG!!!

Barb

3point14 responded:
Welcome!

And excellent job so far!!! Must be great to be off the insulin.
SW:170 CW:134 GOAL!120

You can do what you want to: whenever you want to,
You can do what you want to: there's no one to stop you...
~~Elliott Smith

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Thistle, welcome!
Isn't it liberating to get off a medication by losing weight. Especially for something scary like Diabetes. What a wonderful way to "PAY BACK" your body! And great incentive to continue on your journey to see what else your body can recover from.
Congrats on the weight lost so far, and I'm glad you've decided to make your presence known. Another body to keep us warm!
Huggs
K
Kim SW 243 CW 190.6 GW 135

Many of Life's failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. --- Thomas Edison

thistledown1973 responded:
Thanks everyone for making me feel welcome!

My journey actually has been a lifelong one; genetic insulin resistance runs in my family, and two out three women on my mother's side of the family have PCOS and have developed either diabetes or other conditions (endometrial hyperplasia). I will probably have to take a minor level of Metformin for the rest of my life but I am willing to negotiate that concept once I reach a healthy fat-to-muscle ratio. Regardless, knowing I am genetically predisposed only means that I must be more vigilant than someone who is not.

That being said I have never been truly sedentary; I've hiked, biked, jogged, been in marching band, earned seven belts in TaeKwonDo, been a rapier fencer, etc. But the truth is, I NEED to move; I am someone who cannot hold still. I would go through times of increased activity and see slow weight loss and then I would become less active and watch it creep back. I have ramped up my activity to 3-4 hours of exercise a day, cardio and weigh training, and my eating habits are gluten-free and 90-95% whole foods. Between the two I have steadily lost weight, and my moods/mental altitude (and I do mean altitude) are much improved.

I am active for life at this or a higher level, and the eating habits are lifelong as well; the only time I had problems with uncontrollable cravings is when I tried a gluten food just to see if I could get away with it once (I felt so lousy that I will NOT be repeating that experiment). I went gluten-free because of symptoms I had and completely normal test for celiac/allergies. In my case it fixed all of the health issues I was experiencing.

I would love to talk more but I have to get back to ther things, I will be around again soon!

April

blondie454u responded:
Congrats! What an accomplishment!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

mefirstforever replied to thistledown1973's response:
Welcome April,
Thanks for sharing your journey. I see that all it takes is a lot of determination and commitment.

Congratulation on your success. 3-4 hours of training a day what is your typical day? Do you train in interval or all in a row?
Helene GW 140 CW 198.4 SW 224
Every day is a gift do your best, be kind including to yourself and smile.

thistledown1973 replied to mefirstforever's response:
I really have trouble sitting still, so yes I aim for 3-4 hours of exercise per day. I get up between 3 and 3:30 in the morning (assuming I am working day shift) and do upper body weights (10 lb. dumbells now, moving up to 12-15 by September) one morning and then lower body/core the next. This takes about an hour and usually after 4 days of alternating I have to take a morning off to rest my muscles.

Then I bike to work (used to be a 30 minute ride but now it's a 20-25 minute ride and I am on the higest gear combination). I try to move as much as I can at work, though sometimes it's a standing still or sitting job (hospital lab).

I bike home, try to fit in some core/abs training in the afternoon and then another quick (mile or two) bike ride with my kids, and a one to four mile walk with the husband/kids. I can only sleep 4-5 hours a night when I'm fit, so I don't run out of time to do things during my day.

On my days off I try for longer walks/rides (12 mile walk or 17 mile bike is the biggest I've done this summer so far). I am also going to be adding a conditioning drill set that my first martial arts instructor taught me years ago to "mix it up" when I need a change or my weight gets "stuck", or even to hit my muscles from a new direction. When in doubt I can do TKD "patterns" or "kada" as they are called.

When the snow flies in October (thanks, Alaska) I will drive to work and use the stationary bike here in the gym for my rides and I have cross-country skis and snowshoes. I also have a 15mph 10 degree treadmill at home that was purchased second-hand from a local gym and is rated for people up to 350lbs. I plan to climb hills and run even when it is -60F outside.

If I miss a day I go nuts and I will make up excuses to go to the store just so I can get out and walk. When my bike needed a new handlebar stem I biked 5.3 miles to the shop and walked home rather than drive it to the shop. That's me; the ADHD child in the overweight body (not for long). Smiles!

thistledown1973 replied to thistledown1973's response:
Oh! I forgot! I stopped my Victoza two days ago and my fasting blood sugars are normal, as are my 2-hour post-meal numbers. In another month I will step down my Metformin by 500 mg.

Highest weight = 297
Start weight = 280.6 5/26/12
Current Weight = 249 (oh yeah!)

totallywiggedout replied to thistledown1973's response:
Oh to have your energy... LOL. Anyway, grats on yet another medication out of the equation. Isn't the body a wonderful machine? Give it what it needs to be healthy and it will begin to work it's own magic in healing.
k
Kim SW 243 CW 190.6 GW 135

Many of Life's failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. --- Thomas Edison

abnersmom replied to thistledown1973's response:
Congrats on another med gone. Keep up the great work!
Debbie SW 265 CW 163.6 GW 150 - If you are going down a road and don't like what's in front of you and look behind you and don't like what you see, get off the road. Create a new path! Angelou

norma_j responded:
Way To Go April on your weight loss and getting rid of a medication ..

Wow .. to have 1/2 of your energy would be wonderful .. I did buy a stationary bike this morning from an online yard sale. Paid $25. for a Nordic Track Audio Ride.. new batteries in and ready to ride this evening.

Good Luck on your journey and Welcome to the group.. feel free to chime in anytime.
Norma SW 222/ CW 197/ GW 150

Failure is not an option when Success requires just a little more effort!

jean4u replied to thistledown1973's response:
WTG!!!

Keep up the good work and let us know how you do. Your body is definitely happy with all your work!

Barb

Spotlight: Member Stories

I joined this community in Sept. of 2011 and I believe I was around 222 lbs. at that time. I began a "diet" in June 2011 at 265 lbs. I was m...More

Helpful Tips

cinnamon
I am diabetic and a sure way to loose weight fast is cut the carbs, exercise, and take a third of a T-spoon of cinnamon after every meal ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.