Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
could use some support
keepitsimple39 posted:
due to having my funds run out because of a fixed income, i was forced to buy ramen noodles to last me until wednesday. i know those are not healthy nor any good for my blood pressure. i have not stopped exercising at all, just feel like crap for eating this stuff...

Thistledown1973 responded:
A food that can made in bulk, that has healthy proteins and lots of veggies and fiber is four bean chili. The down side is that it is labor-intensive, but frankly being healthy requires a lot of labor between exercise and eating healthy. It IS a labor of love, though; love for your well-being.

You can buy canned beans (a can of beans is usually less than a dollar in most places) or you can buy dry beans and soak them.

I use 2 cups of dry beans, 1/2 cup each for four different varieties (black, navy, kidney, red, pinto, etc.). Soak them in 10 cups of cold water overnight on the counter-top. Drain, rinse, and refill the water for another night.

In a large pot, saute 1/2 a chopped onion, 2 chopped cloves of garlic, and 1 chopped green bell pepper in olive oil if possible, but any vegetable oil can be used. Add ground cumin (this can be bought in bulk and it takes about a tablespoon), 2 large cans (16oz?) of crushed tomatoes, and the drained and rinsed beans. Stir thoroughly and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer for about four hours, stirring every 20-30 minutes. Let it cool and you can freeze it in pint or cup Mason jars with plastic or metal lids and then you can move them to the refrigerator for a portable microwaveable meal (minus the lid). I can usually make enough for a dozen meals this way.

You can also make bulk chicken vegetable soup and freeze in jars. Start slowly and collect the non-perishable goods as you are able, then gather the fresh/frozen (veggies) ingredients right when you plan to cook. The overall cost will be less and it will provide you with storable nutritious meals for when money runs short.

I hope this helps.

April

jean4u responded:
Sorry to hear about the $$$ shortage. Thistle had a good recipe and offered the method needed.

Don't forget, eggs are cheap. Peanut butter from dollar stores. Nuts from dollar stores.

Good for you to keep exercising. Hope better times are ahead $$$ wise.

Take care.

Barb

P.S. Maybe add some beans to the Ramen noodles to get some protein will help.

blondie454u responded:
Sorry to hear about your money struggles. You have gotten some great advice. Beans are one the cheapest and nutritious foods to eat if your on a budget. You look up all kinds of recipes and cook enough to freeze to last a while. I make pinto beans about once a week and freeze the leftovers to make chili and such.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

mefirstforever responded:
Hello sorry about your short fund
Here is a few idea of meals
http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/10-healthy-foods-under-1-dollar
http://www.allyou.com/food/supercheap-meals/meals-under-one-dollar-00400000047058/page16.html

hope next month is better
Helene GW 140 CW 201.8 SW 224
Every day is a gift do your best, be kind including to yourself and smile.

Spotlight: Member Stories

(see my response to Andie's blog on Committing to Committment 4/3/11)

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.