Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Next Challenge
pallzy posted:
Hello ladies. I am off to my next challenge of being a healthier me. I quit smoking on Friday. Saturday was just absolutely horrible food wise. Every single time I wanted a cigarette I found my self in the kitchen. I think I ate just about everything I possibly could have. I dropped down to 157 so that I'd have a little wiggle room during withdrawals, but if I continue to eat like I did on Saturday, I'm going to be in trouble. Sunday was better though. I went jogging in the morning, chewed a ridiculous amount of gum, but didn't overeat. So hopefully, Saturday will be the last time that happens.

Anyway, I may be popping in (and actually posting instead of just prowling like I have been) while I get a hang on this. I looked for a community for smoking cessation, but no one had posted on it for 2 years. So I hope my wonderful faithful ladies here will help support me.

Sheryl
5'11 SW 275/GW 160/CW 159

3point14 responded:
Wooo! Congrats!

It's normal to gain a little bit of weight once you stop smoking, so don't beat yourself up over a small gain. The benefits of not being a smoker vastly outweigh a pound or two!

When I quit smoking cigs, I found that I was extremely addicted to the act of it. What helped (and might sound crazy) was every time I had a craving, I'd take a shower. It reprogrammed me to not crave the cigs, instead I'd just take a break from the day, evaluate what brought on the craving, and at least I couldn't smoke in the shower! hehehe

Or you can jog, even just a lap around a building when the cravings hit. Avoid activities that you used to smoke during, at least for a little while if you can. When my parents stopped smoking they both also had to stop drinking coffee in the morning because it triggered them to want to smoke.

Lookin at your stats, you've lost 116 lbs!?! Quitting smoking is nothing compared to the daily effort you've already made to imrpove your health and your life, you definitely got this!

Come by whenever you need it. The first month is pretty awful, but once you're past that, it's a breeze.
SW:170 CW:134 GOAL!120

You can do what you want to: whenever you want to,
You can do what you want to: there's no one to stop you...
~~Elliott Smith

blondie454u responded:
Hey Sheryl!

Welcome back! I have been wondering where you've been. Glad you quit smoking and glad you're still being healthy!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

jean4u responded:
Hey GIRL,

You know I still remember that much needed support and regular posts I got from you. About the non-smoking, I quit after being a 3 pack a day smoker for 10 years. It took me 3 times to stick with it. I feared weight gain, but only went up about 5 lbs. and that is nothing what you stand to gain in health benefits.

I noticed that when I went swimming I could take deeper breaths, so my point here is that your jogging will be easier when you are able to take deeper breaths. Just remind yourself when you want a smoke how good it feels to breathe easier. Also, I have seen so many longterm smokers go on oxygen and have emphysema and lung cancer. The tobacco now is tainted with so many chemicals and stuff to make it more addictive....plus the cost of smokes.

Focus on health improvements you will gain and mony you will save. I actually got a large bottle like the water dispensers and put in money I saved from quitting. I liked seeing the "savings".

Sheryl, you CAN do this!

Barb

P.S. Maybe get some pumpkin seeds.. Let us know how you do.

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Sheryl,
I've never smoked so I can't much help you there. But I can see where Pi's advice to break the Tactile habit of cigerettes with showers would work. Probably even better than gum, suckers or hard candies, because it completely breaks you away from the oral fixation part of it. Obviously , it's a very personal thing to go through, and some things will work and other won't for you. Do what feels best and most relieves the stresses that befall you during your withdrawls.
I wish you well on this NEW journey. You will do ok with your weight. Just keep an eye on it, give yourself credit for every hour of every day you make it without a cigarette, and be lenient with yourself for some indulgences along the way.
huggs
K
Kim SW 243 CW 190 GW 135

Many of Life's failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. --- Thomas Edison

pallzy replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thanks for all the words of support. I think I've decided that if I make 30 days, I'm going to take the money that I would have spend on cigarettes and go get a massage.
5'11 SW 275/GW 160/CW 159

jis4judy replied to pallzy's response:
awsome Idea sheryl
a massage is a great stress reliever that might be the thing that keeps you on your smoke free journey/
I have never smoked either did try it once didn;t like it so never got into that habit.
Hopefully your experience with your weight loss journey will give you some skills on makeing changes and be helpful in the breaking the habit of smokeing .
nice to see you posting again..
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout replied to pallzy's response:
I want one too, with the hot rocks..... those look soooo cool
That's a really good idea. A great motivator for something that just spells "SPOILED ROTTEN" , plus extra relaxation as a bonus at the end of what will probably be a tough month. Here's to you and your NOT being a BUTT head anymore!
Huggs
K
Kim SW 243 CW 190 GW 135

Many of Life's failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. --- Thomas Edison

Tomato05 responded:
Congratulations; just persevere and the day will come that the idea of smoking will leave you cold.

jean4u replied to pallzy's response:
Good idea for the massage!

Barb

Spotlight: Member Stories

I going through menopause and gained 10 pounds to my top weight of 240. I am 5'10', so people told me I carried my weight well, but the bottom...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.