Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Totally Trainable
Tomato05 posted:
I try to cling to my belief that I can train myself to eat in a more disciplined way....

I am making the slightest of progress in this training process, but progress nevertheless!

I have overhauled part of my day in the last week: I now eat "clean" and on plan breakfast & lunch, until mid-afternoon. I am busy practising and strengthening this new pattern for a week or so longer, then I will tackle the period between lunch and dinner, and eventually dinner, then post-dinner.

Some are able to change their eating patterns for a whole day - I was so out of control, I couldn't even cope with such a big change!

I am maintaining, not gaining any weight any more. As I master my eating habits, I am hoping to start losing ever so gradually.

We have to believe that we can be trained and conditioned. For some of us, that's our only hope.

Good luck to you all!

jis4judy responded:
Hi Tomato you are definatly on the right track realy examining all the ways you relate to food and retrain yourself to eat better one meal or 1 snack at a time,
I am now trying to reduce fruits in my plan and see what I can do to keep healthy and be more varied in vegie intake
there is allways room to improve our choices .
good luck to you too Tomato

hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout responded:
Good morning Tomato,
There is really no reason to believe that you can't train for discipline in eating habits. After all, when we develop eating "Triggers" like always grabbing munchies while on the couch or lying down reading, or just passing a favored pop shop on the way home, that's all been trained into our habits. And since WE are the ones who trained ourselves these triggers, we also , obviously would have the same ability to untrain or retrain for better, healthier lifestyle choices.
I think you are on the right track and as long as you stay open to different opportunities to improve and LEARN the things that work and don't for your personal journey,then you will have a better chance to maintain after getting to your goal rather than just slip sliding right back into the same old unhealthy routines that got you here in the first place.
Like I always try to remember. It's not only the GOAL that matters, it's the knowledge that we learn and retain to stay focused and maintain, once we achieve that goal that is really going to count in the end.
huggs
k
Kim SW 243 CW 186.2 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

maybembt responded:
Tomato you can do it. Just master each small step before you move on to another. They will all add up to the weight loss you desire.
Marybeth 228-208-150

I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses.
NOW CHOOSE LIFE (Deut 30:19)

abnersmom responded:
I think we all BELIEVE, Tomato, or we wouldn't be here. We have to have a positive outlook that we can make these permanent changes in our lifestyle. Although I am truly celebrating being so close to my goal, there's a little nagging fear still about maintenance. Will I get complacent? Will the goal of maintaining be strong and reinforcing enough to keep me going as the weight loss and health improvements have been? I have lots of doubts still, but I have to BELIEVE that this is doable for me and all of us. Good luck with your new plan. You can do it.
Debbie SW 265 CW 159 GW 150 - To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable. Helen Keller

blondie454u responded:
Good for you Tomato! Sounds you are really focused. Keep up the good work!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

jean4u responded:
Tomato,

You are so smart to review and look at your day in sections. When we get out of control (and we all do at times) it is overwhelming to tackle it all at once. Just take it one meal and snack at a time....you can DO this!

Hey, we are always here to share and cheer you on.

Good luck to you, too!

Barb

Tomato05 replied to jean4u's response:
Thanks for all your support, it means a lot!

Yes, my first piece of candy is now about 3pm - previously it was after breakfast... Next step is to postpone it to 3.30pm, then 4pm and eventually after dinner, while replacing it with a healthier snack in the afernoon.

Judy - if you replace fruit with veg, you have to remember that veg is lower in calories, so you will have to add something (maybe dairy) if you want to maintain your weight.

Debbie - funny, I am not too worried about maintaining; losing is the obstacle for me. I half imagine that a quick look in the mirror to remind me of my new body once I reach my goal weight will help keep me from overeating! But I will have to deal with that issue one day too.

abnersmom replied to Tomato05's response:
Tomato, I like your strategy of gradually cutting back on the candy, but not removing it completely. That seems so simple and yet inspired! WTG!
Debbie SW 265 CW 159 GW 150 - To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable. Helen Keller

jean4u replied to Tomato05's response:
Good work Tomato. Just take it in the increments you are doing...one meal, one snack at a time. I know when I go back to my old habits, it's just a matter of time that I gain. I notice, also that if I go back to old ways, I continue to add on, for example if I have a salty snack every night, then I start to have a bigger and bigger size of it.

You are not alone in getting control back and we need to keep on working to keep it, too.

Stay strong!

Barb

Tomato05 replied to jean4u's response:
Thanks, Barb - I will make your phrase "Stay Strong" my phrase for the day today and remember it when I feel like wavering and caving into the 'eat just for the sake of eating' urge!

jean4u replied to Tomato05's response:
Sounds like you are getting your mental attitude ready for the battle ahead. That is so necessary in this struggle. Yes, we must "Stay Strong". I think it helps to repeat a mantra to remind us what we need to do.

Barb

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello everyone, I am new to this community and have never done this before. I am 37 years old and currently weigh 223 pounds. It feels like I have bee...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
61 of 76 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.