Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Tired of FAT!!!!
sickofbeingfat1974 posted:
High, I am 38 years old and I have 3 kids. One is grown and I have two still at home. I am so tired of not being able to enjoy playing and running with my 10 year old. Not only am I over weight so are my kids. We have really bad eating habits. I need help to change my eating habits and learn to eat healthy, so I can teach my kids how. I am open to any suggestions. I am over a 100 pounds over weight.

jean4u responded:
Welcome!

We share our struggle here. Start by small changes you can keep doing. I started by eating less white pasta and drinking more water and walking 15 mins. a day.

You can do this!

Barb

totallywiggedout responded:
OMG! gimme your name, I can't call you that title. I just can't ! I WON'T ! LOL It's too long like mine and and and it just seems MEAN
HIIIIIIII I'm Kim , or TWO as some prefer. Now you know me, let me know you...... PLEASE!!!!!!
Now that that's out of the way, WELCOME! You have stumbled into the absolute BEST, Most auspicious, Most neighborly, Most fun group of sharing caring and supportive bloggers in the bloggisphere.
You are right. Now is a good time to get a handle on your eating habits for you and for your kids. The big bonus is, you have kids around, so you can make trying new foods and making recipes together FUN.
I always recommend filling out a Food and Fitness Planner either here or on Fitday.com. I do the one here because... I always here and it's convenient. When it asks for how much exercise you do now, put in the LEAST amount choice avail. This will give you the best idea, once it assesses you, of how many calories and how much exercise you should shoot for daily. Focus the first few days on just trying to drink your 1/2 gallon of water, and making small changes in your food choices and trying to stay with SINGLE serving sizes as suggested. Like hockey puck sized meat portions.....
Now for the hard part. Having kids, you probably have a pantry, or cupboard with snacks. Either load em all up and give em away--- read the pkgs for what a single serving size is and divide everything into single serv. snack baggies with calorie info written on it AND FREEZE ----,put them under lock and key (really)---- or toss em.
It may seem extreme, but if you really are ready to make a change, it won't help to have these types of things readily available to you or your kids.
If you do choose the seperate individual bags, at least then they can be brought out at week's end and everyone that's been good and eaten well (healthfully) gets a SINGLE serving treat of their choice.
If you choose to toss em, don't think of it as a waste. Buying them. That was the waste. Right?
We need to know how you manage your meals. If you cook from scratch or what... it helps to make suggestions. Also what types of foods, veggies and fruits you like and absolutely cannot stand.
Stay with us, be a blogger because it helps to come and cry on ppls shoulders and is wonderful when you have someone to share your victories.... That's us. We will be here for you, as they are here for me, every step of the way.
huggs
k
Kim SW 243 CW 186.2 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

jis4judy responded:
Hi mom of a 10 year old
welcome aboard we would love to get to know you
and just for starters we have a few maintainers on board I am one of them allready removed the 100 pounds and been maintaining for 9ish years
the best way to start is to look at your eating habits and shopping habits and make changes to healthier things '
be aware of your "trigger" foods mine was sweets ice cream was the worst thing I did to my body..
be suspicious of healthy foods in packages health food is natural and not in a box... be an avid label reader and do not buy anthing with trans fats or artificial sweeteners or high frucos corn syrup...I avoid these ingredients .
and if you do buy something in a box when you read the label the less ingredients the better.
lean meats in proper servings fruits vegies nuts in moderation fat free dairy and whole grains and don;t forget drink water in place of calorie ridden drinks
start with your self the kids will evenually follow your lead
if only healthy food is in the house it is easier to follow along this jouney to better health remember this isn;t a diet it is a life style makeover forever ...
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

abnersmom responded:
Welcome! Like the others who have already posted. I started by logging my food. It's the best way to see what you are eating for calories and nutrition. We all avoid most processed foods and eat lots of veggies, lean meats and fruits. My trigger foods are salty crunchy - can't have chips in the house. I also switched to whole wheat everything, sandwich thins, pasta, brown rice. Check in with us often and let us know how you are doing.
Debbie SW 265 CW 159 GW 150 - To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable. Helen Keller

blondie454u responded:
Welcome aboard. Like everyone said this a great group. I am also a maintainer. I have lost 120lbs and have been maintaining since 2010. You have gotten some great advice on what you need to do. Let me tell you it works. There are no games and no gimmicks. Just plain ole diet and exercise. Keep posting and best of luck!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

totallywiggedout replied to blondie454u's response:
Amber, honey, don't ever think that I don't think of you as a diet GOD too. May I also wallow in YOUR aura for awhile? Then I guess I'll just roll offa yours and go on to Debbies..... unbelievable how many true non surgical success stories are actually here. It gladens my heart to see and KNOW that my dreams can be accomplished because right here is the living breathing PROOF of it.
A big round of applause to all the (weight)losers who are such big winners here.
k

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

blondie454u replied to totallywiggedout's response:
I am not a diet GOD by no means. Just woke up one day and I wanted this life for myself. Thanks Kim! You provide so much knowledge to this board. I love reading you posts. I just don't have a lot of time to dedicate like I used too but I post and such when I can.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

totallywiggedout replied to blondie454u's response:
Actually, I provide comic relief. Knowledge on the other hand is relative..... Some days it's totally a full crock of bs without me being the wiser. Take everything I say with a small grain of salt. Most of it's my beliefs and what life has taught me along the way that I try to inject in my responses. Sometimes it works and sometimes, not. But believe me, I am always trying to answer with care, and with the best end goal in sight.
huggs
K

jean4u replied to blondie454u's response:
Amber, what you say about waking up one day and wanted this life for yourself is so true. We have to have "that moment", when we are willing to give it a shot and change our lives FOREVER! Is it going to be easy? I don't think so, but is it going to be worth it? Oh YEAH!!! For health reasons for sure!!!

Barb

P.S. When I came here I was SHAKY, I did not know if I would stay with ANY changes in my eating or getting off the couch.

blondie454u replied to jean4u's response:
It's just something you have to truly want. There are no magic pills or surgeries that are gonna make you happy. You have to find your own happiness. No one knows you like you.

jean4u replied to blondie454u's response:
Amber, when I first came here I was looking for a "diet". Then I saw that most people here were eating healthy and doing some exercise and they were losing the excess weight or maintaining their weightloss.

You really do have to find and make your own happiness. I think this applies for motivation, too. Different things motivate a person. For some it may be to wear a smaller outfit. For others it is health.

This is a journey, one with struggles, but not without enjoyment, too.

Have a safe and happy holiday weekend, ALL!!

Barb

justmejust replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Hi Kim,

You write regularly with humor and caring.

Have you considered writing a blog, or writing a column for a paper, or writing a book? You have a great vocabulary, so my guess is you read a lot too.

Thanks!

Laura
Laura 155 - 203 - 225 Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection. Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight.

totallywiggedout replied to justmejust's response:
Hi Laura. In high school I my advanced english course teacher kept every single one of my short stories to use as examples of "how to do" this or that form of short story. Every last one of them! I gave permission then because I was flattered, of course, now, I wonder if at some point I could have sold them, lol.
She suggested that I go into journalism too. I sor of wish I had done something like that. But back then, I just wasn't driven enough. Then I took a year at Western Mich. Univ in Biomedical Sciences and it killed the idea of college for me. I hated it. Really.
Yes, I'd like to go back and take some courses now. Yes, I would probably end up taking some writing courses. Yes, I have thought about writing a book. At times I throw roll the idea around but honestly I feel that in order to write something interesting ,you have to live an interesting life, which I don't . I would hate to bore people. LOL
I do need to get back into a short story writing course, just to see if I still have a knack for it. It seems that being in a classroom setting, with the right instructor, it gets my juices flowing and I write much better than if I am just out here on my own.
I appreciate your interest, and the compliment. I'd love to just write a newspaper column, a public interest type thing, but they always want someone with a journalism degree, then when they get them, they can't write worth a hill of beans and couldn't spell their way out an elementary spelling bee. You can always tell the newly minted degree holding journalists by counting how many times the word "alleged" is used in a two paragraph crime write up. I once found one such post, two paragraphs, alleged was used 13 times. 13. Every time I got to another one, I hollered out loud GET A THESAURUS! It's not as if there are no other words out there to mean "without proof".

huggs Laura, good to see you still r out there.
K
Kim SW 243 CW 186 GW 135

Spotlight: Member Stories

I've always been "chubby." And I have spent majority of my adolescence trying to be skinny and failing. The lowest Ive been is 157. I no...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.