Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Checking in 3 and a Half Weeks Post-Injury
Thistledown1973 posted:
Well, it's been three and a half weeks since my biking accident and I am finally gearing my exercise back up. I still have deep muscle bruises that are healing, and I saw an orthopedic PA who said I bruised the bones in my shoulder and it will be MONTHS before that heals. I have begun lifting VERY light weights again, walking, and I actually rode my bike for the first time the other day.

During my injury my weight went from 247 to 255 and it is now back at 249. I am just grateful I was able to remain relatively stable while having to take it easy for so long. Granted, the majority of the weight gain was swelling, but I could have easily fallen "off the wagon" and sabotaged myself.

The difficult part for me is when I was injured I had just one more week of exercise before I was going to add in some new exercise drills that would heavily work my upper body. It has been hard not to get frustrated because I went from preparing myself to ramp up my exercise to doing nothing more strenuous than walking to the bathroom.

Even though I can exercise my shoulder now, it still has to be gentle, and I have to be careful to to over-exercise because I am still healing (my legs are still black and blue and tender to the touch after three weeks). It may seem funny to think that someone would be worried about over-exercising, but for me it is a genuine possibility; I hate sitting still.

Oh...I had a stray thought...I wonder if I was extremely gentle, maybe I could pull out my TaeKwonDo book and practice my patterns. That would "change up" my exercise and stretch my body in ways it hasn't been in years.

I hope everyone is doing well and I will have to catch up on the "news" when I have a few minutes to read.

April

jean4u responded:
April, Take care!

Barb

maybembt responded:
Glad to see that you didn't just give up after your injury. Glad to see you back in the saddle again.
Marybeth 228-206-150

I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses.
NOW CHOOSE LIFE (Deut 30:19)

Tomato05 responded:
It must be so frustrating, but it sounds as if you are doing well on the road to recovery. Just think, you are over the worst now.

And at least now you can begin to be more active, so life can only get better from now on!

I would think you could try adding things, as long as you pay close attention to signals from your body - if it doesn't hurt, it is probably OK.

Can you do stomach/core exercises maybe?

Good luck and keep us informed.

totallywiggedout responded:
April, is your TaiKwonDo like those morning exercises the Japanese do? Those really beautiful, easy motions? That would be perfect during your rehab.
I'm not sure I caught exactly HOW you had such a terrible accident on your bike. Was it a dog or something?
Well, anyhow. glad you did ok staying "on the wagon" throughout this ordeal and I hope that you find comfort in knowing that since you were eating better and were in better shape when your accident happened that you will heal better , faster and more completely than if you hadn't been.
huggs
K
Kim SW 243 CW 186 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

abnersmom responded:
Hi April. Glad you are back. You really took a spill. I don't know about the TaeKwonDo, but Tomato is right, if it hurts don't do it until you heal completely. Take care.
Debbie SW 265 CW 159 GW 150 - To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable. Helen Keller

blondie454u responded:
Glad you're back and doing well.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

mefirstforever responded:
Hi April,
I mist the welcome wagon, I read your last blogs and you are an inspiration with a great plan. Sorry about your bicycle injuries and I see that you are mending well. I will look forward reading you next blogs. How did you get so disciplined to do your exercises? I get exhausted just reading what you do everyday. You must be a young lady.
Snow what is that!!!! I live in Canada please not yet Lol.
Helene GW 140 CW 198.2 SW 224
Every day is a gift do your best, be kind including to yourself and smile.

jis4judy responded:
Hi April your approach to be gentle with your body is good I understand the frustration of being on the sidelines and not able to fully get into the exercise... gentle cardio maybe will help the healing proccess I know it helps me when I am in pain ..
and it is also good you are eating healthy because good nutrition helps the healing proccess too ...
I am not familiar with TaeKwinDo I hope it work for you

Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

Spotlight: Member Stories

I weigh 362 lbs, and I feel helpless and hopeless with this weight. The profile pic. is my skinny picture. Then I got sick and all the weight came bac...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
61 of 76 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.