Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
injured in action
maybembt posted:
last night i fell when i was playing soccer with rotweiler guard dog, angel. i broke my right wrist, spent nite in hospital, and had surgery to set it.
Marybeth 228-206-150

I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses.
NOW CHOOSE LIFE (Deut 30:19)
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Tomato05 responded:
Sorry to hear about your accident, Marybeth. Are you right-handed?

Just follow the doctor's instructions, and try to keep the wrist very still for at least the first 2 weeks.

It will probably take about 6 - 8 weeks to heal.

You will have many frustrating moments, but try to console yourself that at least you are still mobile and did not break a foot or leg.

I guess Angel will have to find another playmate for a while!

jis4judy responded:
Oh Marybeth thats so upsetting to fall by the way playing soccer with a dog thats pretty awsome . not the fall though I was walking out to my garden My Hubby was mowing the yard with an electric mower and I go to step over the cord all of a sudden the cord rises and I am flat on my face nothing broken just my dignity... I have a mark on my right cheek and my sun glasses are broken.
take good care of that wrist . this must be a weekend of falls for you and me ..I wasn;t even doing anything as fun as you were
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

maybembt replied to Tomato05's response:
thanks tomato i spent 1 day in hospital angel seemed sad i came home and immediately kicked the ball for angel to chase.
i am concerned bout recovery of joint movement i dont have good medical care here and my cast has both my wrist and elbow at 90 deg i am 64 yrs and afraid my joints will be froze
Marybeth 228-206-150

maybembt replied to jis4judy's response:
part of the problem was i was playing soccer wearing flip flops!
Marybeth 228-206-150

jis4judy replied to maybembt's response:
well next time wear good supporting shoes when you play .
we solved our problem too next time he mows the back yard he will run the cord under the steps leaving me free access to my garden ...

life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

abnersmom responded:
I'm with Judy, Marybeth. At least you were doing something fun and energetic. So sorry about the wrist though. Hope it heals well and quickly. I broke a bone in my hand a few years ago and have a pin and 10 screws in the one bone! It shattered and I just tripped on a sidewalk. Still have the pins, but hardly ever notice it.

Judy, glad you didn't do anything worse and that you and hubby have worked that out so it doesn't happen again.
Debbie SW 265 CW 159 GW 150 - To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable. Helen Keller

jean4u responded:
Marybeth,

WOW, that broken wrist1 So sorry to hear about that. I broke my right wrist about 20 yrs. ago. Had to have surgery and pins and screws. Had a top surgeon as the "regular" ortho dr's said it was waay out of their league (that scared me). But after alot of physcial therapy I have full use of it. I learned to write left handed and drive with one hand (no one to drive the kids but me).

PLEASE take care!

Barb

jean4u replied to jis4judy's response:
Judy,

What is up with you and Marybeth. You got to be more careful. My DH is always creating some hazard for me. He moves stuff around and put them low, in doorways, so you could trip and do some damage.

Barb

jis4judy replied to jean4u's response:
It was weird Barb I must have stepped over that wire manytimes and nothing happened so I was just totally surprised
My right shoulder is hurting today so It must be from the fall too .. sore shoulder and a mark on my face not nearly as bad as Marybeth with the broken wrist.. The only broken bones I have ever had was broke my nose when I was 9 years old sometime in my 30s I broke my middle toe on the right foot there is nothing they do for broken middle toes .. they were curious as to how it happened thoughLOl I was walking mad with no shoes on or socks walked into the pantry and there was an old fashioned milk crate on it;s side wam broke my toe

Barb My Hubby is allways doing stuff like that putting things in walking areas and then I trip what is it with men anyway?

jean4u replied to jis4judy's response:
Yep, Judy, a friend of mine (age 75 but looks and dances like 50ish) broke her 2 toes....caught them on a doorway thresh hold (the small bar). Stuff just happens. But as we get older we got to take more care.

I think a bit of a trip is just a wake up call to slow down and pay MORE attention to potential dangers.

Is your DH and my DH brothers? LOL

Barb

tey could be brothers he does have about 2 brothers he doesn;t talk to LOL

totallywiggedout responded:
Oh, Marybeth! I'm sorry I'm late in my condolences for your accident. Oh hun. Did they have to put pins in it? Surgery sounds very much like a compound break. If that's the case it could be more like 10 weeks or so. Please take care of that. LOL at least the dog didn't eat you while you were down .
Ask your dr. I would think that you could do some light exercise after a couple of weeks, certainly nothing "bouncy" but you could easily do some "marching" to music and stuff and if you marched for 1/2 hour or so, that'd be equivalent to about 1 mile.
Don't despair, you'll be right back with the program in no time. Take care of yourself.
xoxo
k
Kim SW 243 CW 186 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

totallywiggedout replied to maybembt's response:
Flip Flops!!!!??? In soccer? OMG you'll NEVER bend it like Beckham in those! LOL
Honeeeeeeee flip flops prolly NOT the best choice for running gear. I know that hindsight is 20/20 but you should have seen that coming ,
huggs
k
Kim SW 243 CW 186 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello all, I'm new. I've been obease my entire life, except for a brief 4 year period when I did some drastic eating and exercising. I'm n...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.