Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
"Exercise Science"
3point14 posted:
So, I started this semester last night. Because my financial aid didn't go through, I could only afford to take one class. It's "exercise science", which is the fanciest name for gym I've ever heard!

I LOVE it so far! The format is an hour-long lecture at the beginning of class followed by almost two hours of working out at a state-of-the-art gym. I also have a friend from a few semesters ago in the class with me, and she and I will be doing some kick-boxing soon!

It cracked me up though, my classmates. It's all women but for one guy and the professor. Mixed ages, some in "good" shape some seemingly in "bad" shape. It was the first night of an exercise class and there were three times that people told the professor basically verbatim "I don't want to exercise". We were talking a little about weight loss and a youngish girl literally asked "What's the minimum amount of exercise I can do and still lose weight?". It made me think of this group, how motivated everyone is, the strength it takes to make weight loss, exercise, and healthy eating a priority. It made me chuckle to myself that people were even taking a health/gym class hoping to hear some magic formula where they could still eat whatever they wanted and lose weight.

I think this class is going to be good for me. It'll keep me on track, for certain. Ha! And we have a project where we'll have to keep a food diary for a week and one girl says "Ugh, who has the time to write down every little thing they eat?"!! It's like, everyone, if they want to analyze their diet!!

How's everyone doing on their September goals? I've been excellent with my exercise! Such an improvement from last month. My food has been eeeeh alright, but it'll get a lot better now that I don't have a bunch of family stuff going on.

Keep up the hard work everyone! Remember, treat your body well!
SW:170 CW:134 GOAL!120

You can do what you want to: whenever you want to,
You can do what you want to: there's no one to stop you...
~~Elliott Smith

totallywiggedout responded:
Pi, I can tell just by reading your post that you are super psyched about life right now. I'm so happy for you. Have you heard anything back about that job? Is it going to be able to be worked around your schooling?
Honestly, I can see you kicking your friend's butt in kick boxing, so be careful. I don't think you even know how high your energy is, really, I can tell by your post, so be careful when you begin that class. lol they may ban you for being a natural born killer

Things are settling down here, Monica, Alex's gf had a bad day yesterday, she is pretty young yet, and is really close to her mom and sister back in michigan, Missing them bad and she just curled up and withdrew yesterday in their room. I felt bad for her but she isn't one to talk out her problems, so I just let her know I'm here if she needs me, but let her be.
Boys walked with me this am, it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. I showed them the trail and explained the turnoffs so they won't get lost. It would be almost impossible to get lost in there, simply because the main trail is circular and if you just follow it or find your way back to it, it will always take you back to where you started, but, with my boys, they could get lost in an empty round room.

Anyway, Pi, I just wanna say, YOU GO GIRL! love your attitude, especially lately, you are bouncin off the walls happy.
huggs
k
Kim SW 243 CW 186 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

3point14 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
hehehe Kim, you are a perceptive woman! I'm someone who gets really fulfilled by my family and my Mum just ended a feud with my Aunt, and I'm so proud of her I could burst! I've been spending a lot of time with my family lately, and it just really puts things in perspective.

Also...well, M and I have been talking a lot about getting more "serious". As in, white dress, ring, official level of serious. I wish there was some way I could convey in type how exciting that is to me.He is the absolute love of my life, best friend, partner in crime, soulmate-hero, and lately we've been meshing incredibly well. I'm hoping to have some exciting news on the Officialness front soon!!!!!!!!!

hehehe The manager for the other store and I are still in talks, I have to make sure they're going to give me enough hours and sufficient dental coverage, but they're still as enthused about me as I am about them. They'll work around my school schedule, too!!

hahaha I gotta do the kickboxing just to keep me from dancing in the streets, seriously. It's really funny because my friend knew me when I was fat and in a way worse place mentally, and as we were catching up last night she was like "It's like there was this happy, skinny person inside you this whole time!". That's haunting me (in a good way). I wish I'd always known I had this much potential for joy.

Poor Monica.That sounds like a rough adjustment. Good for you though,on giving her supportive space. I'm sure she'll accomodate eventually, and as long as you let her do it at her own pace you'll all be content.hehehe Good job teaching the boys the trails! I'm glad it wasn't as bad as you expected!!

Thanks for the support, Kim. I really can't even explain what's goin on with me lately, it just feels like I've really taken control of my life and am shaping into something I'm very, very happy with.

~~Elliott Smith

totallywiggedout replied to 3point14's response:
Oh, Pi! Wonderful news about a possible impending engagement/wedding. that would be a spectacular NSV wouldn't it? I'd love in the future to see you post pics of that, then babies and just watch you grow to your full future potential. Geez this really is like being in a neighborhood. Staying in touch and watching things go on , it isn't vicariously either, this is Real time sharing of eachothers lives.
Good news about your mom and aunt too. Family stress tends to trickle down and everyone feels it and it affects the whole lot, not just those immediately involved. It's not good for health to hold grudges so it's nice that they are trying to get on top of the matter and get over it.
huggs to you, keep us posted about that ring "thingy" would love to hear you got one
huggs
k
Kim SW 243 CW 186 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

abnersmom replied to 3point14's response:
Wow! Pi. You are just full of good news. What an exciting time in your life. Wishing you all the best, but knowing that YOU and you alone have created the happy space you are in. You go, youngun!
Debbie SW 265 CW 159 GW 150 - To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable. Helen Keller

Tomato05 responded:
The class sounds like a good way to spend your time. I hope you will find it very worth while.

My exercise has been good, my eating so-so.,

I haven't lost or gained this week.

jis4judy responded:
sounds like you are doing great PI lots of new things going on
that class sounds like something worthwhile ,funny how some people see it so different though looking for the magic answers
to an age old problem the simple answer is eating healthy and move more for some reason it is hard to accept that answer,
for me it was I wasn;t ready to give up my addiction to sweets
I used to look for magic diets or special foods that would work wonders ;;;I am so happy I figure it out and started my plan and so Happy for you that you found the truth in your youth oh that is a poem like thing wasn;t intended that way
Good luck on your relationship too It is wonderful to find the one .. you want to be with forever
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

blondie454u responded:
Sounds like many good things are happening and going to continue happening. Good for you! I hope everything works out for you.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

3point14 replied to blondie454u's response:
Kim, that's what I love about these boards the most, the connectedness. I can be somewhat shy in real life, and I enjoy being able to be more open here. Besides, the people on my Facebook are pretty sick of hearing about my diet stuff!

Debbie, Thanks for the support! My Gram always says the same thing, she loves how I'm a self-made woman because nobody will ever be able to take my accomplishments away from me.

Tomato, if nothing else, the professor is a hottie! hahaha What have you been doin for exercise, just the usual or tried anything new this week? I find I'm most consistent when I'm doing something new.

Judy hehehe I think it's a human impulse to want to hold on to habits, even if they're bad ones. At least they're familiar, ya know? But it is just a matter of making priorities, and obviously a longer, more healthful life should be the primary goal! Sweets are an especially tough thing to give up, in my opinion. We're biologically wired to respond to sweets because they're so rare in nature, it's just our society that makes them so abundant...and that's where the issues come in!

Amber Thanks for the support!!

SO today I'll be going to the gym after a ten hour work day. I'm cringing at the thought of it, but because I also had a huge breakfast for me (some cheese and oatmeal...not together!) I'm feeling very energized!

I'm stealing this from the main "diet" board, but what are we doing this weekend to help us reach our goals, ladies?

I'm going to be super active and try to get in a few workouts.

~~Elliott Smith

abnersmom replied to 3point14's response:
I got in a good walk yesterday afternoon and plan to do the same today after this rain moves out. Highs in the 70's today should make for a very pleasant walk. I had to bring Abner back home yesterday because he got too hot and then finish my walk due to the extreme humidity and heat. Food was very good this week - 158.6 this morning. No indulgences this weekend - hopefully, got that out of my system last weekend.

Hope everyone has a great one!!!
Debbie SW 265 CW 159 GW 150 - To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable. Helen Keller

jis4judy replied to abnersmom's response:
Hi Debbie when I walked yesterday I was feeling tired so I cut my walk short ..
today was better a very vigorous walk today I think it had something to do with the great breeze we are haveing today..
yesterday was hot sticky no breeze...
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

mommaxeli replied to 3point14's response:
Pi, I love reading your posts. They are always so positive! Y
SW: 260 CW: 155 GW: 145

mommaxeli replied to mommaxeli's response:
Ooops! I hit the enter button...

What I was going to say was You are so adorable
SW: 260 CW: 155 GW: 145

mefirstforever responded:
Pi I love reading you posts, you are a motivator. No kick boxing for my but I would love to start to kick buts.
Hugs helene
Helene GW 140 CW 198.2 SW 224
Every day is a gift do your best, be kind including to yourself and smile.

abnersmom replied to jis4judy's response:
Hi Judy, Glad you got a good walk in yesterday. It was still rainy yesterday morning so I didn't get a good walk in, but had to walk about 1/4 mile to the stadium and then back after the game last night so added a little bit to the morning's total. Beautiful today hope to get a long walk in when I get off here.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a stay at home mom of 2 wonderful boys ages 4 and 13. I have struggled with my weight and eating disorders all of my life. I have been too thin ...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.