Skip to content
Need Support! New to community and very shy...
lost815cm posted:
I don't know where to start, but I need to lose about 100 lbs. I feel so ashamed to have to say that. I originally started out needing to lose 125, lost 45, gained 25 back. I'm absolutely disgusted with myself and don't know where to turn. I enjoy reading articles on WebMD for numerous things, and stumbled across this and thought I would give it a try. I'm not sure what else to say other than this: I drink water 99% of the time. I am trying really hard to get more physical activity in. I go for 1.5-2 mile long walks and/or do the same amount of distance on my stationary bike. Which is definitely better than what I used to do--nothing at all! My biggest thing is portions. I don't feel like I eat a lot, but after writing it all down, it's eye opening. Sadly enough, majority of my weight is all in the gut. And it's awful. I really need to lose this weight. I want to be healthier. I need to be healthier. I just need a friend in this battle. My husband says he supports me (and he does as best as he can), but I don't think he fully grasps what it would take. He is also overweight, and he's been making these changes with me. But we both "cave" easily and have that treat or an extra helping etc. Being a woman and being this heavy is much more difficult than being a man with a few pounds to lose. Woman are more self conscious, or at least I am. Anyway, sorry for the long post, and thank you in advance for any advice you may have...

jis4judy responded:
Hi Lost
welcome aboard the forum I joined over 9 years ago
I was obese needed to remove 100 pounds ,I did remove 98 of those pounds and have been maintaining since,,
the way I did it was changeing the way I responded to food I also eliminate most proccessed foods .. focused my choices on natural foods like fresh vegies fruit lean meats fat free dairy beans are good too and small servings of nuts my favorate is pistachios..
there is the mental part of weight removale so look at your eating habits with a critical eye and find out what your trigger foods are then avoid them
It sounds like you have the exercise thing going well now the important step is to get control of the eating part . it does take planning .. make sure when you shop you avoid anything that screams diet . do your shoping around the perimiter of the store the junk is in the isles...
the second helping thing is a mistake you can fix by cooking a little less food so it is just enough . My hubby get a slighly larger servng of everything I weigh and measure everything I eat so a good food scale is very helpfull to get an accurate calorie count
glad you stumbled into our little forum
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

abnersmom responded:
Welcome Lost! I second everything Judy says. I stumbled across this board last Sept. after I had started a "diet" again last June (2011). Lo and Behold, I learned that dieting doesn't work. I had to change my thinking about food and look at it as nutrition first with a little bit of pleasure thrown in. With the help of these ladies here, I have changed my life. You can too! Read old posts and get more info, ask questions, post struggles AND victories. Don't try to change everything at once or it is too overwhelming and you won't stick to it.
Debbie SW 265 CW 157 GW 150 - To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable. Helen Keller

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Lost,
Welcome, honey! You are among friends here. This is the very best group for support and encouragement that you will find anywhere.
Lots of us started here having to lose about 100 lbs. hence the name of this community. LOL, so this is nowhere to hide your face about it. This is a place to come to seek knowledge and inspirtation from real people like Judy, Amber, Debbie, Mommaxelli, et al, that have lost 100 or more lbs and have kept it off... have been in maintenance for YEARS and are still logging here almost daily to help out and to keep themselves focused.
We don't do diets here. What we do is try to find a food regime that we can accommodate to fit our own individual tastes and lives. We do this by focusing on foods that feed our body nutritionally. Recipes that are quick to fix but have way less fats, sodium and calories than their frozen or take-out counterparts. And by logging our food and fitness.
You say that you "write" everything down for food diary. I can't suggest strongly enough that you fill in either a Food and Fitness log here on WebMD or the one on Fitday.com. I do the one here on WebMD because this is my blog site so it's convenient. Fill it in, put down that you are the most INACTIVE choice available, and it'll work out how many calories and how much exercise you should shoot for each day to achieve your goals. These online logs are free and so SO useful because they have "built in" food choices that cover most if not all of the foods you will eat, even some takeout stuff .
The thing about servings is that it's pretty essential to either NOT cook so much that seconds and thirds are available, or to serve out the single servings before you put the plates on the table and box up and freeze the rest before you sit down to eat. Don't even give yourself the option of having that big bowl of more food sitting in front of you and your husband. Raw cut up veggies and a fat free dip , fresh fruits like grapes or melon chunks or pineapple, or a big salad should be the only extra bowl on the table at serving time. If eating the salad, don't just POUR on the dressing. Put 1 Tblsp of dressing on the side in a small bowl, and dip the tips of your fork into the dressing then jab some salad and eat it this way. You will find that 1 Tblsp of dressing will do for an entire plate of salad if eating in this way. I say this because most people will use around 1/4 cup or more of dressing if poured on, and that's a TON of calories, sodium and fat that isnt necessary. Read the suggested serving sizes on EVERYTHING and stay within those suggested guidelines if at all possible. Use a 0 calorie cooking spray to cook or "oven crisp" whenever possible. Eat raw and/or cook from fresh ingredients. Adjust recipes to make them with lighter, low fat, fat free, calorie free and low sodium ingredients. Buy a small food scale to help keep tabs on ACTUAL serving sizes. Log what you eat, don't scrimp and don't lie to yourself or your log. It WILL make a difference. Drink your water, walk, log food and fitness, blog..... Repeat often, "I am worth the effort to make these lifestyle changes. I am doing this FOR ME."
I'm reposting the link to our Blogsite's recipes. These are really good tasting quick recipes that you can work into your weekly menu without breaking the bank .
Welcome to your journey. Here's to your health. For the rest of your life
kim
Kim SW 243 CW 183.4 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

totallywiggedout responded:
http://forums.webmd.com/3/dieting-club-50-100-lbs-exchange/forum/2523

This is our blog's personal recipe box. All of the ones I've put in are single serving sized , and I'm pretty sure the others are too. If you have questions or if you have some/develop some recipes to share, Please "save to discussions" this recipe link so that you can return to it and read/or share some.
Thanks!
kim

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

blondie454u responded:
You've gotten some great advice so welcome aboard!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

lost815cm replied to jis4judy's response:
Thanks Judy!

lost815cm replied to abnersmom's response:
I will be a reading machine on here, thanks Debbie!

lost815cm replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Hi Kim, thanks for the advice! It's nice to know I've got support! I have looked into the food and fitness log on here and will start to incorporate this into my daily activities. Here goes....!

lost815cm replied to blondie454u's response:
Thank you!

totallywiggedout replied to lost815cm's response:
Good Girl!
Don't forget it isn't a "sink or swim" situation. You won't sink to the bottom here if you need help. We are ready with water wings.
huggs
k

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 15 years old and currently 190 lbs. I am 5 feet 2 inches and I know that in order for me to be in a healthy weight range I have to lose 60 pounds...More

Helpful Tips

Getting the most out of oatmeal
As an oatmeal fan, I was surprised to find that instant oatmeal didn't stick with me the way rolled oats did. When I switched back to ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.