Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Lots of tomatoes
kalimiller posted:
So I have TONS of tomatoes coming in from my garden. I am eating them all the time - salsa, sandwiches, plain, salads, you name it. My friends are taking a lot of them and I still have a whole bunch. Does anyone have any sort of pasta sauce recipes or anything that I could make and freeze? Or ideas for what I can do with them?

jis4judy responded:
Hi Kali
I seeded and peeled some tomatoes and froze them to make pasta sauce later .
the way to peel them is to stick a fork into stem end and cut a cross into blossom end dunk in boiling water for a few seconds the the peeling is easier peel discard skins and seeds to remove seeds just make holes in the sections of tomato remove seeds freeze the remaining pulp. then the tomato can be used for sauces or salas Later .
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Kali, try this one..... this recipe calls for Roma Tomatoes which are on the whole designed for sauces because they are more meaty and less "juicy" . If your tomatoes are the juicier, salad or table tomatoes, like beefsteaks or the reg round varieties, I'd suggest first cutting them in half and scooping out most of the juicy seeded parts and just leaving some and the "meaty" sections to make this with . It'll cut down on cooking times. BE AWARE though, tomatoes cannot be cooked in Cast iron, copper or thin aluminum pans. Use something like a dutch oven, ceramic coated or heavy aluminum alloy pot Otherwise the tomatoes will absorb the metalic taste of the pans in which you cook them and make them taste spoiled .
http://www.simplebites.net/tomato-sauce/

huggs
kim
Kim SW 243 CW 183.4 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

jis4judy replied to jis4judy's response:
also the tomatoes should be peeled and seeded before makeing sauce anyway
I would give you my pasta sauce recipe the only thing is I never wrote it down and I don;t measure anything in it just toss stuff in
here is a list of ingredients I use
olive oil enough to saute the onions garlic and mushrooms
onions diced
garlic diced
Mushrooms sauted lots of sliced mushrooms
oragano
bay leaves
tomatoes
tomato paste one small can also water judgment call again
if it is too acidic when I taste I add a pinch of sugar that a judgment call
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

Tomato05 responded:
Tomato soup is always good.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My story is I just woke up one day and decided I was tired of being fat. I got tired of wishing that I was skinny girl. Like when I would go to the st...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.