Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Whens the last time you tried...
totallywiggedout posted:
I am posting this because I have always had a lifetime aversion to celery. Not a typical tried it and don't like it aversion either. Because, over the years I've done it with peanut butter, those flavored cream cheeses(like pineapple, and pimento types) , with peanut butter and raisins(ants on a log) , wrapped in thin deli meats, and cooked. Just about every way you can eat it, I'd tried it. Because, let's face it folks... I was FAT. All my life , from childhood through. Obese. And celery is so low cal as to be almost calorically non existant. One of the ULTIMATE diet food staples and I just couldn't get it much past my nose to eat it, and the taste and the texture just sent me into spasms of disgust. Honestly, I cannot actually put into words how bad I hated celery! lol
Mind the PAST TENSE there, because it's important to this diatribe.
I had some celery cleaned and cut up into logs for Monica in the fridge. While setting up her lunch plate, sandwich, sliced cukes and yes a hunk of celery with honey roasted creamy pb.... I decided, yet again to give it a try. It has been something like 5 years since my last excursion into "Celery Land"...... recipe.... 1 log celery, 1 tsp honey roasted pb.....
OMG!!!!!!! I LIKE IT!!!! Am thinking that I prolly won't without the pb, but , I feel like a new person here!

So , what I'm getting at, fellow bloggers is , like the time we all retried Brussels sprouts...... It's high time to retry the low cal, good for us foods we have always had a high dislike for. Just to see if your taste buds have finally "matured" enough to handle them.
Truly. If it's been a while since you last tried it, go do it. It might open up a new food source for you, to keep your journey strange and exciting.
huggs
k
Kim SW 243 CW 183.4 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

rohvannyn responded:
Congrats on the celery love. That's aweseome. It's like me and hot peppers. I used to hate them, couldn't take them, no way no how. Now I spoon chili garlic paste on things like it's relish, use habenaro sauce like ketchup, and can eat red river thai chilis whole. Wasabi is mildly piquant. Whatever happened, at 33 I have finally inherited my dad's famed leather tongue, after being a tendermouth for my whole life.
Roh SW 220ish and fluffy CW 178.0 GW 140ish and buff

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

jis4judy responded:
Hi Kim thats interesting about the celery I allways liked it plain or cooked in soups and in tuna and chicken salads. I have an absolute gag factor feeing about super healthy salmon, I cooked it so many times in different ways and still the gag factor thing . about the only thing I like now that I hated at first is green tea at first sip yukky and just couldn;t drink it , so retried a while into my journey and it is now good a staple amoung my foods and drink . unfortunatly it didn;t work with the salmon
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout replied to jis4judy's response:
Judy, salmon is one of my faves, but it must MUST be cooked without the skin. The skin is very oily and fishy tasting. Best way to get the skin off is to get a pan SUPER hot and place salmon on it skin down. Let the skin get good and stuck then carefully take a very thin, stiff spatula and with a quick slide inward, remove the flesh from the skin, then in a separate pan continue to cook the salmon.
I like it cooked most ways, but my favorites are blackened or smoked. When smoked it takes on a whole different taste and texture. Very very good , as it comes thinly sliced like deli meat, and can be used with cream cheese on melba toast or bagels or in salads.
I drink my green tea iced. But I know what you mean. It by no means is my favorite tea, but I do drink it occassionally.
huggs
k

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

totallywiggedout replied to rohvannyn's response:
Be very careful of the hots though, Roh. Lots of peptic ulcers start out that way, lol
But I know what you mean. My mom and dad were basic Michiganders, never ate hot peppers. They started being snow birds after retirement , out in Pheonix. Next thing I know my mom is serving me scrambled eggs with a side of chopped chilis, lol. Tastes change. Sometimes when we least expect them too. I'm just glad to say I can now hack the celery. It'll be a good addition to my choices.
huggs
k

Tomato05 responded:
I love celery (and don't mind Brussels sprouts), but cannot learn to love avocado! Never, ever.

One thing I am learning to eat is oysters- used to despise them, but can now tolerate them. They are so high in zinc.

totallywiggedout replied to Tomato05's response:
MMMMm Oysters on the half shell...... squirt of lemon, dab of either very hot coctail sauce or just plain horseradish ....
avocados are nice too. I like em sliced with a squirt of lime juice and topped with tuna salad
we'll find a way for you to enjoy avocados, tomato, you watch and see, lol
huggs
k

blondie454u replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Avocados with salt and pepper yummy!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

3point14 responded:
I haven't retried brussel sprouts, but only because I've never tried them, period! I just bought a big ole bag of frozen ones, though, can someone tell me the tastiest way to eat 'em? Or where's the thread going over recipes? I feel so outta the loop!!!

My whole healthy eating journey has completely changed the way I eat. I've tried more new foods in the past year than I have in the last decade, seriously. I love chia seeds, soaked in lemon water. I love whole wheat pita bread. I love beans. I love hummus. Eggs used to totally sicken me, but I can now handle hard-boiled egg whites. I learned to prepare eggplant in a way that isn't just frying it up!

Eating healthy has opened me up to all kinds of things I wouldn't have even considered before...but I've still never tried any fish in any context, no oysters, no avocado, no tofu anything...Still a lot more healthy things to add, I suppose.
SW:170 CW:134 GOAL!120

You can do what you want to: whenever you want to,
You can do what you want to: there's no one to stop you...
~~Elliott Smith

jis4judy replied to 3point14's response:
Hi Pi
I am not sure how to prepar frozen sprouts but when I get fresh ones I steam till tender remove the steam basket and water add spouts to pan add just a smidge of butter the real thing and a bit of minced garlic stir over heat till coated with the yummy stuff and serve hot . that my favorate way to eat brussel sprouts ...
I also prepar the sprouts by takeing off any dicolored leaves and cutting an X in the stem end .
so I am thinking steaming the frozen ones till fork tender and add what you like to them butter small amount and garlic minced
Hope this helps Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

rohvannyn replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Interesting, because cayenne is very healing to the stomach. Hot peppers have a lot of healthy stuff in them, too. I have way more problem with excessive acid than I do with peppers actually. And I know a couple of friends who helped heal their ulcers by eating cayenne and other hot peppers. I guess it just depends on your body. Either way... go with you gut. Mine feels better when I eat peppers.

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

totallywiggedout replied to rohvannyn's response:
Both my ex husband and my oldest son have gotten stomach ulcers from eating too many hot spicy foods. Now, it COULD be like you said, the acids too, because both of them have or I should say had a daily habit of eating about a jar of extra hot salsa with chips. The acids in the tomatoes , plus the peppers could've done it. But they were both told to stop eating Atomic stuff and take their prescription antacids once a day.
Or it could be familial , since the ex's dad also had probs with ulcers and gout. Meh, me, I eat what I want and usually don't worry about it, lol.
huggs
k

totallywiggedout replied to 3point14's response:
Pi,
Thaw them under cold running water, then strain till all the water is off of them, then pan fry like Judy says. In a little butter.
I also cut up and threw in 1 clove of fresh garlic and a single slice of bacon, cut into tiny pieces. Pan fry over med heat until they just begin to brown a bit. Remove the garlic clove and serve with a little squirt of lemon or a little apple cider vinegar if you like.
I'd never liked brussels until I ate them this way and now I do.
huggs
k

rohvannyn replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Exactly. Even if my stomach happens to react well to spicy stuff, everybody's different and it's amazing how much variation there is in human physiology. Despite the fact that cayenne is an old and respected stomach remedy, and there is a lot of indication that ulcers are actually caused by a virus, I know lots of folks that can't stand hot food and/or acid when they have them.

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

Spotlight: Member Stories

My weight has crept up on me through many years of negligence - over eating and not eating the right foods. I love fresh fruits and vegetables but I a...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.