Skip to content
Weird personal issue
abnersmom posted:
Hope I don't gross anyone out, but has anyone else noticed a change in hair growth since they lost weight. I have never been a hairy person (that runs in the family) and I'm still not, but I am having to shave my legs all the freaking time now. Only my legs - nowhere else. What is up with that?!!
Debbie SW 265 CW 157 GW 150 - To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable. Helen Keller

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Debbie.
I'm gonna venture a guess here. This summer you have peaked in your walking type exercises, right? You've been feeling better, been lighter in weight than you had been in years....
I'm thinking that with all the extra exercise that you are upping your blood flow. While sitting around the house , as a much bigger person, was cutting off blood flow to your legs and feet, you now are getting all that extra oxygenation going through them, making them ,and the rest of your body, healthier and stimulating the hair folicles in them. Extra blood flow and weight loss can do some miraculous things. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if your periods came back (if you were in menopause) or if they became longer in duration.
You are basicly fixing some things that were making your body age faster. Like quitting smoking, losing weight and exercising more turns back the clock some.
You aren't just getting close to your own personal goals, you are reaching optimum running capacity for your body.
Congratulations.
huggs
kim
Kim SW 243 CW 183.4 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

rohvannyn responded:
I've noticed more hair growth as I've aged a bit, I know testosterone becomes a bit more of a factor as women age so that's what I've chalked it up to. It could be just that your body is healthier so your follicles are having a party. I know that weight can affect the endocrine system, so it might be worth a question at your next checkup.
Roh SW 220ish and fluffy CW 178.0 GW 140ish and buff

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

jis4judy responded:
gee Debbie just on the legs? maybe the skin on your legs is smaller and tightened up so it just looks like more hair on smaller legs
might be accually the same ..
as I get older I find I have a half mustach and a few extra hair on my chin I wax them off every couple of weeks..
seems weird that my above my lip on one side is more hair than the other side...
waxing works My legs are accually less hairy than when I was younger ,
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

abnersmom replied to jis4judy's response:
You guys are so wise. I think all these things are right - age, better blood circulation, etc. Roh, I think I will mention it to the doctor. I have to go back for my 3 month cholesterol check in Oct. Hoping my numbers have gone down again. I've followed everyone's advice (fat free cheese, skim milk, walnuts, fish oil) and my numbers went down the first check. Don't want those drugs if I can keep from it so I've been very vigilant about it. And Judy, I've decided shaving my legs more often is better than half a mustache so no more complaining, LOL!
Debbie SW 265 CW 157 GW 150 - To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable. Helen Keller

jis4judy replied to abnersmom's response:
Lol thats funny I do try to stay incharge of that hair growth
I have allways been kinda hairy on the legs etc but the facial hair is annoying that started in my fifties//
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

3point14 replied to jis4judy's response:
hahaha I haven't participated in this thread because I'm an Italian lady and if I were to get MORE hairy, I'd be Cousin It.

But I did just want to pop in with once my Mom lost like a 100 lbs, she noticed she was getting hairier armpits. Her doc said it was basically because her body could afford to grow hair because it wasn't stressing so hard on basic things like carrying it's own weight. It's a good sign!!
SW:170 CW:132 GOAL!120

You can do what you want to: whenever you want to,
You can do what you want to: there's no one to stop you...
~~Elliott Smith

abnersmom replied to 3point14's response:
Ha, Pi, Cousin It. Interesting what results losing weight brings to our bodies.

blondie454u replied to abnersmom's response:
I thought it was just me but yes I have to shave everyday now. I just kind of accepted it and went on Glad someone was brave enough to ask.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

blondie454u replied to abnersmom's response:
I thought it was just me but I have to shave everyday too. I just kind of accepted. Glad someone else was brave enough to ask thanks Debbie!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

totallywiggedout replied to blondie454u's response:
LOL , I have another speculation about all this "extra hair" that ppl are noticing.... I could be that with our bodies getting smaller, more compact, there is way less surface area obviously. The same amount of hair that was spread out over yards of skin is now being condensed into an area about 1/3 less. Looks like there's more, but still actually the same.
huggs
k
Kim SW 243 CW 183.4 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi In the beginning I wasn't trying to lose weight I was increasing my fruits vegies and reducing sweets to improve my vision that took a bad turn...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Link to the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner
To let people know how to find it, go to WebMD home page it's listed on there, but here's the easy link for you ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.