Skip to content
Changing Mentality
3point14 posted:
So, last night I had an epiphany that I wanted to share with y'all here!

Last night was my friends going-away party at a bar. I knew it would be crazy before I went, so I kept my calories in check during the day in anticipation of the tons of excessbooze/junk food/ hangover cure McDouble I'd need today hahaha. I had an absolutely excellent time! Tons of people were there, M was with me and he and I just always have so much fun doing shots and laughing together. I was really happy and relaxed and uhm, "socially lubricated".

After the bar closed is when we'd usually hit up something like Denny's...but we didn't. And I realized we didn't do our usual bar snacks like chips or anything either. I hadn't even thought about it. I was having fun in a social situation without wanting to stuff my face! It was so refreshing, I can't even tell you guys!

So this morning, I was predictably hungover and exhausted. Usually, this is when I'd stop at McD's and let those fatty, salty burger patties cure me of my ills. Honestly guys, it didn't even occur to me. I went to work and had the thought "I'm sorry for what I did to you last night, Body." and then I bought and ate some baby food!!! I had a hankering not for something to kill my hangover the quick and dirty way, but to actually replenish the nutrients and recover in a healthy way. I'm so proud!!!!!!

I feel like it's finally caught on. I feel like I'm finally on this journey for the right reasons, because I want to be a healthy old woman one day, not because I want to be a hot young thang right now. I feel like I really can control my cravings and eat when I'm hungry, not when I'm bored or celebratory or angry or any of those other reasons people mindlessly eat. It's an amazing, empowering feeling.

Non-scale Victory of the Day:
My friend/co-worker says to me this morning "You look so skinny! No, I take that back, you look so well-proportioned and fit."

And also...I start my new job first week of October. Could not be any more ready and eager to open up a new chapter!
SW:170 CW:132 GOAL!120

You can do what you want to: whenever you want to,
You can do what you want to: there's no one to stop you...
~~Elliott Smith
FirstPrevious12NextLast

totallywiggedout responded:
Pi, lol, you are sooooo young .
I can remember goin out partying like that. Shots lined up along the bar, body shots, jello shots, slammers..... ungh.. Better yet, maybe I CAN'T remember it all , lol.
But you did well with ignoring the party munchies and the post party pig out. Yeh, I remember those too. Usually held ours at the local Elias Brothers, Big Boy, which had a really GREAT early am all you can eat breakfast bar that just Screamed "EAT ME!!!!" after partying hard.

Glad you had a great time though. Can't wait for the tales of your trevails when the new job starts.
huggs
kim
Kim SW 243 CW 183.4 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

jis4judy responded:
wow Pi that is a turn in the right direction you are rocking this journey of yours , learning that you don;t have to eat junk is priceless. I am doing a Happy dance for your NSV
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

abnersmom responded:
That's awesome, Pi. You ARE an empowered young woman! Happy dancing for you about the NSV's and the new job!! Glad you shared this. We all need to be reminded that we can lead normal lives and stay in control at the same time.
Debbie SW 265 CW 157 GW 150 - To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable. Helen Keller

Tomato05 responded:
Congratulations for staying in control - that's a good mindset to have.

3point14 replied to Tomato05's response:
hahaha Kim, my BF has this really cool engraved beer stein that says "For the times we can't remember, with the people we'll never forget" hahaha. I've definitely calmed down a lot on my partying and at the ripe age of 24, I can say that I'll probably be done with it all in a few years hahaha.

Judy, this board has been SO key in my mental status regarding weight loss. Hearing about everyones health victories and the empowerment we're ALL getting just by being good to ourselves is just so inspiring.

Debbie, that's exactly it. I think sometimes it's really easy to see our improved lifestyle choices as isolating, because most average Americans don't care the way someone wanting to lose weight cares about food. I'm really trying to change that mentality for myself though, and see it as something that doesn't have to be limiting.

Tomato, control is what's going to get us all to our goals, right? I know a lot of my gain was due to mindlessness and the desire for instant gratification, and this journey is teaching me so much about patience and kindness to myself.

Thanks for the support ladies, as always. How's everyones weekend going so far?
SW:170 CW:132 GOAL!120

You can do what you want to: whenever you want to,
You can do what you want to: there's no one to stop you...
~~Elliott Smith

jean4u responded:
To Pi and ALL,

Pi, what you said about the power of the "mental change" is the key to gaining the control needed to stay on this journey and not look to so-called diets or the quick fixes.

Got to share a quote that I can't stop thinking about that your blog is about.

"You must master a new way to think before you can master a new way to be." Marianne Williamson

To ALL the Board Buddies, keep up your good work!

Barb

P.S. You deserve to be proud of how you did at that party and you will do that again and again. because NOW you do have your mind right! (Your body has no choice but to follow what your mind tells it to do!)

jis4judy replied to jean4u's response:
Hi Barb I love that quote

"You must master a new way to think before you can master a new way to be." Marianne Williamson

I saw it on facebook the other day also
Hugs Judy:)

life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

mefirstforever responded:
I'm so glad that you are mature enough to realize all the benefits of your journey.
It is so refreshing and you will be an inspiration to all the young adults on this blog.

I could say I wished I new what you know now at your age but it would not do me any good. There is no age to figure it out. And I'm glad I finally decided to take care of me now. It mite take me longer than others but I never give up. Which is an achievement on its own.

Thank you PI for sharing
Helene GW 140 CW 198.2 SW 224
Every day is a gift do your best, be kind including to yourself and smile.

jean4u replied to jis4judy's response:
Judy,

It just seems like all the successful "losers", here have mastered the mind-changing thing.

That quote gives me so much inspiration, comfort and guidance along my journey.

Everyday we have the new chance to make the better choices to change our lives. What you said (I read along time ago) about treating a slip as just that and just pick up the pieces and get back on track, was a new thinking for me and I really adapted to becoming a new me.

Got to say, all the sharing here, too is helping me to think and do differently.

Barb

jis4judy replied to jean4u's response:
Yes Barb It is definatly a mental thing we have to accept a new reality to live by and that part takes practice over and over again...Like I said once or more times our bad habits aren;t broken they are sleeping inside waiting for a weak moment to resurface..be strong and keep vigilant don;t let them make a reapperance...
thats all part of the mental thing .
I get a lot of my stick to it stuff from all of the boardys myself
we share it all ...I am so greatful for you all Hugs Judy:)

jean4u replied to jis4judy's response:
Got to push that re-set button EVERYDAY! Sometimes we/I get sidetracked or lazy but when we have our minds in control we really know what we have to do to make it work in our lives.

Like today, I did ALOT of cooking, I mean I did chopping and "frying" (in fat free spray) egg whites (a whole doz.), steamed cauliflower and broccoli, nuked red and green peppeers and mushrooms and mushrooms ( w/steak sauce, cayenne and salt free seasoning). This can be used in omelettes, etc..

The point is I have my MIND ready to to what needs to be done for my body.

The egg whites can be a breakfast sandwich between those 100 cal. sandwich thins, add lowfat cheese and a slice of ham or turkey bacon....yum! Or eat the egg whites with the steamed veggies, I love that.

I have my mind right (and this IS a process) to take the time to get the right groceries in my house and do the work to prepare the snacks and meals. I don't like to cook, so I do the marathone...one day and it's over.

Barb

totallywiggedout replied to jis4judy's response:
Oh Judy, I just got a warm fuzzy feeling.....oh wait! Hack cough... ... no it was just a hairball, darned cat!!! lol
No, really though , I'm seriously grateful for you too, and everybody else here.
SMOOOOOCHES guys!
kim
Kim SW 243 CW 183.4 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

Tomato05 replied to jean4u's response:
Great quote. I just love motivational quotes - I even have an app for it on my iPhone. They feel like giving me something to cling to in times when the mind becomes wayward, or strength dwindles.

abnersmom replied to jean4u's response:
Love Marianne Williamson and love the quote. Thanks for sharing.
Debbie SW 265 CW 157 GW 150 - To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable. Helen Keller

Spotlight: Member Stories

tired of always thinking and not doing recognizing that I need to treat myself better understanding that I can not do this (completely) alone hoping t...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.