Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Clams with pasta and mushroom soup
mefirstforever posted:
I went to my girl friend house for lunch yesterday. Nice company and I love to bits. We use to work together she was a gem to work with.
Well the meal might sound good but I feel so bad today. My stomach hurts and am so blooded. She served it in a casserole gratin with cheese if I had a cup is max and fresh baguette 2 small pieces and butter. No vegetable in site. My body can't take this creamy fatty food anymore. I had to take Eno and Tums and still feel bad.

Next time I meet up with here, where going to the restaurant. I will be able to choose my meal.

I realize my body has gotten used of eating healthy natural foods and lots of fresh vegetables, he certainly made an acute reaction.

In the last year even if I did not gain nor lost weight I've been eating low fat and less sugary foods. So I was able to maintain the lost.
Helene GW 140 CW 198.2 SW 224
Every day is a gift do your best, be kind including to yourself and smile.

totallywiggedout responded:
Boy, Helene. Clams with pasta in a creamy white sauce.....sounds good, but you are right. It would be too rich for me too. Hope your tummy is feeling better really soon. Maybe you could suggest that you cook together next time and that you could bring the fresh veggies if she supplied the meats or seafood. That dish could very easily be done with sauteed veggies, the clams and a splash of white wine over the pasta. Would be a light repast with less stress from the fats on your tummy. And cooking together , you could share some of the wine and laugh and catch up while fixing the food.
huggs
k
Kim SW 243 CW 183.4 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

Tomato05 responded:
I would not have enjoyed that either!

That's the problem when you get invited for a meal at someone's place - you have no say about the content. One can only hope that the hostess will provide something light and healthy along with the heavy dishes, but not everyone does.

I sometimes try to get round to it by taking a salad along, but some hostesses don't want you to do that either.

I think you did the best you could - just keep the portion small. And I also try to steer the social gatherings to restaurants where one can at least choose something healthy.

mefirstforever replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thank Kim feeling much better. I like the wine Idea!!!

I wondering how YOU are doing with all the invasion. Do you still have me time ? Sending you a glass of wine so we can laugh together !!!
huggs
helene

totallywiggedout replied to mefirstforever's response:
Hi Helene. It's sort of stressful atm. The boys have been told to expect their first paychecks this week, which will be a Godsend. My food bills are skyrocketing and way way out of control. With me and Michael , 1 loaf of bread and a gallon of milk is what we usually went through a week. Now it's more like 4 loaves of bread and 5 gallons of milk. Peanut butter. A jar that would last the two of us a few weeks lasts a little over 3 days now. It truly sucks. My groceries were around 80.00 a week without the extras like his chew and gas for the car. Now I'm running about 125 a week minimum. I'm literally robbing Peter to pay Paul right now. So their income should ease it a bit at least.
I'm thinking that I'll look at the grocery ads for the week, make out lists for them to buy and for us to buy toward the weekly consumption and usage. Because as it stands right now, I haven't shopped for ANY of my regular journey foods in about a month and it's starting to wear very thin on my nerves.
Yes, I do get some me time. The twins only walked with me that first night and the next morning. ONCE . LOL. So I do get in my am walks with Holly most mornings . My pm walks have been few and far between lately, as the twin's schedules are horrendous. Most nights they don't get off until about 7 meaning that dinner is set back to about 730. Cook , serve, dishes some nights and maybe MAYBE by 9pm I'm sitting down to log my food and relaxing, lol. Kinda puts a crimp in my "want" to do that pm walk at 10. Meh..... this too shall pass.
huggs
k

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

It must be so stressful making sure that all is under control. Hope that they all find jobs and an apartment soon. They are very lucky to be able to turn to you for help especially that you are so resourceful.

But when they leave again and you get back the tranquility, party time !!!! And then you will be able to start that novel LOL

Huggs
helene

I wouldn't even know where to start, Helene. Honestly.
Getting published would be a dream but I wouldn't know the first steps to take to get anything to that point. I cannot truly even remember how to do a basic outline which is a must to keep track when writing a story.
I'd do best to take another creative writing course just to see if the potential is still there. IDK. Maybe. When things settle down a bit. I'm feeling at loose ends right now, nothing seems to be going right and I'm getting very tired of swimming against the current.
huggs
k

Kim,
Plans and dreams are what keep us going. So what if we have to put some in the back burner for a will, just make sure the flame is never extinguished.

Ok Smily Kim, it's nice to keep up appearance and try to make sure all have what they need, but you really have to do for you with no compromise.
Before your kids came back ho by the way there not kids anymore!!!! You had a life with your partner. Even if this situation is temporary all have to swim with you to make it work.
Imagine Kim with a rope in a mouth trying to swim against the current pulling a boat, with one on deck taking the sun the others waiting for they meal...
I know I'm exaggerating but you get the picture.
One may say I gotten selfish, but with the pain and 55 years behind me, I deserve to have a little peace. You especially would know about pain!

I don't make speeches or big family meetings. I just do what I can and guess what they do there laundry and they cook there own meals. There is food in the fridge and soap in the laundry room. They come and go as they please so do I. And by magic no one is frustrated they just do what they need to do. I'm much happier because I'm not so frustrated of having to do it all.

By the way it does not always work that way. But, I try my best to keep away from the mother hen role
Huggs
helene

Me too Helene. I've done my best, and did a good job of it. The boys are hard workers. They always have been. I was sure that if they moved down here, they'd have jobs right off, and lo and behold , they did. That's good because it shows that they still have the initiative to create a space for themselves in this world wherever they go.
I still do the mother hen thing occasionally , can't help it. Today is lo stress. Monica and I went to the park and layed out in the sun reading for a couple of hours. Tonight's dinner is pulled pork bbq that I precooked to the final baking point a couple of days ago so all I had to do was pull it out of the fridge and put it in the oven. Frozen fries to go with and it's gonna be a meal, lol
I've done really well today on my eating. So far had a Big Green Meanie smoothie, recipe will follow on our recipes blog, and it was so good I had another for lunch. Had pineapple chunks for snak and am anticipating having bbq with a side of baked sweet potato slices for supper.
It's going ok. It's not just the kids being here. Several personal matters have arisen over the last two weeks and it's just draining my enthusiasm for life some. Something will break and I'll b back to my usual perky self in no time.... I hope , lol
huggs
k

jean4u replied to mefirstforever's response:
Helene, sounds like you have found the way to be supportive to your adult children without being a slave. That does take some mastering. But it does have to be done or we will run ourselves ragged with the physical and mental toll on us.

Good work!

Barb

jean4u replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Kim, congrats to your boys for getting work and to you as a supportive mom. Really in this economy unless you have a silver spoon, the adult kids need some help to get on their feet.

Looks like you are doing a super job with the meals, too. About the "personal matters", well some things just need time and re-thinking. I had to get a handle on my DH's lack of communication and his denial about that. Makes my life so much easier to put my "cheerful & stupid" tee shirt on when he does that number. To get confrontational would raise my BP and Cortisol and is not worth it. Also, I no longer turn to food for comfort and that is so powerful.

Stay strong!

Barb

totallywiggedout replied to jean4u's response:
Hi Barb. Thanks for the compliment. And one back at you for dealing successfully with a touchy DH without running to the fridge for support.
Some people tend to try to remember that "God grant me ...." quote about accepting the things we cannot change. I mostly just remember and try to live by what my dad always said,
"Be like a duck and let it roll off your back". A duck can stand in pouring rain and just lets it roll off his feathers. Lucky duck! Good quotes either way and if you think about them often they can be sanity savers because , let's face it, Some things just aren't worth stressing over.
huggs n have a good day
K

jean4u replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Good thoughts!

Barb

Spotlight: Member Stories

Here I am! Feeling the worst I ever have. 100 pounds to lose and very overwhelmed about it. 1 year away from 50 years old. Developed high blood pressu...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.