Skip to content
Carbs and mood
Tomato05 posted:
While a lot of refined carbs is definitely not good for the mood (makes me sluggish, headachy and irritable), I find that when I cut down on carbs I'm also not too friendly!

I am trying to eat fairly low-carb, but it is as if it is making me moody, and I snap at people, complain, etc. Yesterday, for example, I berated the girl at the supermarket checkout because there is often nobody to serve people at the Express checkout. And I complained in the coffee shop because I asked for weak tea and they made my tea too strong. A little uncharacteristic for me - I'm normally more fatalistic about things.

I don't want to turn into a cow, but I also want to eat light and fresh food, mainly veg and lean protein (with a bit of healthy fat, low-fat dairy, fruit and legumes). I will add more starch one day when I feel better about my weight.

I think my irritability can only be due to carb cutting, as no other factors have changed - sleeping and exercising the same, same level of stress, etc.Though I must say - nowadays I miss my family (they're all on a different continent); I haven't seen any family in nearly a year.

How do you deal with low-carb moodiness, if you experience it at all? I don't want to unnecessarily add a lot of carbs and cut other foodstuffs: adding things like potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, a lot of fruit, etc. seem to leave me less full and just not satisfied for as long, than when I eat bulky, fibrous, leafy veg (low carb ones) and protein.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

jis4judy responded:
Hi tomato
thats a strange thing being so moody because of carbs
I eat cereals hot and cold and I eat potatoes but I keep them small 1 ear of corn they are usually part of my dinner plate sweetpotato a green vegie and a protein source with side salad or soup... or a reg sm potato green vegie protein salad or soup I use corn the same way corn on cob green vegie protein salad or soup Brown rice also the same way .
thats my variety in my dinner plate
I like my snacks of fruit and nuts
so I don;t believe I have ever been low carb can;t imagine it but I am sure it works for some..
those tiny red potatoes are nice My stuff is kinda boreing I guess no recipes just plain foods
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

Tomato05 replied to jis4judy's response:
Hi Judy, I also eat "boring" food, prepared very plainly.

I am thinking of adding more carbs actually - stuff like potatoes and wholegrains, which are a bit low in my diet currently. That would make it more balanced, but I will have to be careful with the calorie balancing. I can't just replace some of my veg with grains or beans without recalculating, as the grains may have more calories.

I may also include a little more dairy - some days my only dairy is 1/2 cup of yogurt or cottage cheese. I will try to replace 100 cal of meat with 100 cal of more yogurt, milk or cheese, I think.

mefirstforever responded:
Tomato I'm a carb addict so I can relate to the cow thing.

My body was used to eating alot of carbs. Just to say me an my cousin when we were young would make contest of how many slice of white bread toast we could eat.

As an adult I would eat at least 12 to 15 portions of carbs a day. Now I reduced to 6 and doing well. All is in proportion if you always ate carbs you will not be able to bring it to 0. And I don't think it's healthy. I switched to healthy carbs like multi grain bread and pasta. I like couscous and sweet potatoes.

Some people have a cheat day why couldn't be bread instead of sugar. To get a fix. For me I will have 2 slices of toasted howl grain bread with peanut butter banana and a bit of honey. 300 calories. Or a grilled cheese 350 calories with a big salad.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one
Helene GW 140 CW 198.2 SW 224
Every day is a gift do your best, be kind including to yourself and smile.

jean4u responded:
Interesting about the moods and carbs correlation. I think finding a healthy balance is worth the work. I tend to try to stay away from carbs in general, however thy seem to find a way to sneak in.

Good luck and let us know how you do. I empathize about your missing your family after a years absence in seeing them. Emotions have a connection on our moods. My DH sometimes doesn't treat me with the utmost kindness and that could very well effect my moods and trigger random eating.......but I feel, now, in control and I am not going to allow him to get me off track. Actually it feels really good to stay on track when he "flares up". Yaay ME!

Barb

jis4judy responded:
Tomato about the family I see my grandkids approx once a year but we stay in touch thru the internet .. does your family have access to internet? most of my family is online..
we rarely see each other even though most of us are here in the NewEngland states some in Canada and my son and his family in Michigan .
being lonely for family can lead to over eating I think when My Mom passed away I felt like I had a big empty space in the center of my being if that makes sense and I tried to fill that emptines with (what else )sweets ...results overweight..
My Hubby is my family now and that isn;t allways rosey as Barb mentioned my hubby is so hard of hearing he answers when I speak to him as though I said something else thats frustrating and he refuses to get a hearing aid.
so it is like being alone hard to comunicate with him ..

life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Tomato,
I have always thought it funny when people insist that just because they don't eat breads and grains that they are eating a low or no carb diet. It's simply a fact that ALL fruits and vegetables have carbs. Sure , there are different levels of carbs depending on the foodsource but they ALL contain carbs. That said, about you mood swings from lack of carbs, you aren't all that far off track.
Carbohydrates and the BrainThe consumption of carbohydrates is closely linked to the regulation of serotonin in the brain. According to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology website, serotonin is the brain chemical most associated with elevating the mood, acting as a natural tranquilizer and reducing irritation. In other words, consuming the recommended 300 grams of recommended daily carbohydrates can play a similar role as antidepressant medications in regulating moods and boosting overall sensations of contentment

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/497598-how-simple-carbohydrates-affect-mood/#ixzz27WmI8gld Now , when they are talking about carbs, it's alot like us talking about good calories vs bad calories Simple carbs like cupcakes vs complex carbs like you'd find in a pear Basic rule of thumb as with most things is, if it grows from the ground , drops from a tree or walks the earth it's a better food source than anything made by man that has "laboratory made" ingredients.
Kim SW 243 CW 183.4 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

totallywiggedout replied to jean4u's response:
Yaaay YOU!

huggs
k

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

jis4judy replied to jean4u's response:
good Job Barb don't let anyone take away your power to stay on your journey...

Tomato05 replied to jean4u's response:
I can totally relate about DH, Barb, as I have the same type. I try to remain calm and centered, but it is not always easy when you are being treated unfairly. I just try to develop my own kinds of coping mechanisms (and yes, food doesn't work!).

Tomato05 replied to jis4judy's response:
Yes, Judy, one has to watch out for overeating when you are lonely. And one can indeed be lonely even if you have a partner, especially if he is often rather hostile, as in my case.

Most of my family are on the Internet, but not my 80-year old mom and dad. And my siblings are so wrapped up in their own lives that they don't write often.

The main thing is not to turn to food to replace human contact.

jean4u replied to jis4judy's response:
Judy, my DH's loss of hearing has to be frustrating to him, but like your DH, too mine gets stuff wrong about what I and others are saying. I get tired of repeating and when I talk loud to him he gets mad....no win.

Judy, I miss my Mom, too. But at least they are in our hearts, forever. Your Mom and mine would want us to be healthy and happy and that is exactly what we will do!

The internet is really a wonderful tool for staying in touch with family. Who has time and money to travel. Also, with everyone's busy schedule who has time to visit. Seems like people have longer work days and commutes.

Happy Wednesday!

Barb

jean4u replied to Tomato05's response:
Tomato, you must be a mature and strong woman to have developed your coping skills, because some women could not do it. But I look at my DH and there the good is there but that negativity does surface itself from time to time and I have to be prepared to deal with it....not change it and I have developed and mustered up the control to do just that!

Turning to food for comfort is always an option but that one leaves its mark on our minds as well as our bodies. Now, exercise and reading are very good choices, even cleaning out a drawer, anything to remove or distract negative thinking.

Stay strong!

Barb

abnersmom replied to Tomato05's response:
Love this thread although I don't really have anything to add except that you all have made me think more of my mom who has been in Heaven for 31 years. Still think of her daily.

Good job ladies, venting here is way better than with our noses in the fridge or pantry, right?
Debbie SW 265 CW 157 GW 150 - To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable. Helen Keller

totallywiggedout replied to Tomato05's response:
My bf isn't hostile, but he is most often "absent". He is an extreme gamer and from the time he gets home and takes his shower, he is lost in his "webworld" with his guild members kicking some boss's butt. I get him for supper, then snuggle time when we go to bed.... that's about it. LOL
I figure it could be worse. He's a good provider. Is kind hearted. Doesn't argue with or hit women. Is even tempered to the point of exasperation, because, when I feel like a good fight, he's a roll over and take it kinda guy.... and he loves me. So, what can you do? You take a decent person and wonder how to change them without changing them. It just could be worse.
Until the kids came down, all of my family was 19 hours away too. As it is, I too see my granddaughter only about once a year, but we video skype about twice a month so that helps.
I wish only the best possible lives for all of you though. You know? It makes me sad that some of you have to deal with spouses that aren't nice to you. Makes me want to scream actually, because you are all just the nicest, big hearted people. If they can't see that then they are blind.
huggs
k

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 29 year old Borderline and Bipolar diagnosed girl who lives in Southern California. I am otherwise healthy just overweight. I deliver pizzas an...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
64 of 79 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.