Skip to content
50 -100 lbs club
dustygarnet posted:
I'm new to WebMd so I am not sure what I am doing but here goes. I am in need of a didt buddy. I have about 100 pounds to lose. I joined WW a month ago and have lost 12 pounds but I would like to be able to talk with others in my shoes. I need to keep my motivation. I have joined before but quit after about 20 pounds lost. Then of course it's back. Help. Does anyone out there have this problem of losing thier motivation. I would like to discuss diet stratagies and recipes and up and downs, etc. I think I am mostly an emotional eater. I do love quantity and am not too much of a snack eater. I eat too much at meals and buffetts can be a disaster so I am not going to go to any of those. I am 64 years old and have been on many diets and have gotten to goals when I was was younger, last time when I was 40. Took me 5 years to gain it back. I can't believe I did this to myself again and then I see pictures and just get sooooo sad.

Jis4Judy responded:
Hi Dusty. welcome aboard this is the right place to talk about your journey it took me a while to figure this out .but a total life style change is what helped me something I could live with for life... your first lesson to learn is probably portion control..I used to over eat on everything... any diet will work while you are on it changeing your habits forever will help keep you healthy.. I and many of us use www.fitday.com/ to log foods and exercise it will really open your eyes about what you have been consumeing... I especially like the nutrition readings.. I hope you check back in and stick with us , I lost my 97 pounds useing this board and fitday.. I check in every day to just remind myself about my journey...

Hugs Judy:)

hopeilose responded:
Hi Dusty Welcome to the board, and glad youre here...You post any time you want and we all will try to help out and you can help us too!! I too lose my motivation, but seem to of found my way back again this past week!! It is really important I feel to post here, because for me it brings strength and brings me to think more about what I am doing to make my life healthier..there is tons of tips here..

My biggest help lately has been having the right foods to eat and filling up on them..Fiber to me is important and I am trying to eat things that are low in calories yet filling thats where the fiber comes in at..I have changed my soup eating lunches into a sandwich with two fruits...seems to really help keep me full until dinner..NOt all the time, but most of the time this seems to work out..Also I have sugar free jello with bananas in it, and have some fat free pudding hanging around..

Good luck to you...and post often...

Nancy

dustygarnet responded:
Thanks, I will try that site and then later I'll tell you how I like it. Wow, 97 pounds lost, CONGRATULATIONS! I hope I can achieve this too. You have given me hope. How did you do it? How long did it take? What did you eat?

Jis4Judy responded:
Hi Dusty the largest part of my weight loss came in the first 9 months I followed what I called Judys Nutrition Quest:) I cut out all empty calories and ate mostly very nutricious foods when fitday told me via nutrition readings if i I was low on a nutrient I would google that vitamin in foods then the site would list some foods with that nutrient on the list there was usually something I was willing to eat, I am a picky eater. I lost my weight in 2003 and have been maintaining since. I had a vicous problen with sweets so I made a deal with myself I could have a small serving once a month this took away the feeling of being depived.. You can check out my fitday if you want but lately I have more cals do to maintaing than when I lost weight if you go bak a few months on here you may find a few low cal days... www.fitday.com/fitness/PublicJournals.html?Owner=Jis4Judy

Hugs Judy:)

zoodoo613 responded:
Welcome. Congrats on your loss!

I know I have trouble with motivation, too. This is certainly not my first go round with weightloss. In the past my petering out point comes around 30 lbs, and when it happens I'm completely lost and just don't care a lick any more. I don't know how or why. I'm at about the 20 lbs point now. I'm really determined not to let it happen this time. I also am looking to this board for support if my motivation starts to dip.

wsummers1 responded:
Hi Dusty! I'm totally new to this too so don't feel alone. I am a 40 year old woman with 78 pounds to lose. I just want to feel like myself again. I've always been considered pleasantly plumb but as they say the older we get the more it effects us. I feel like I'm right on the verge of fourty and fabulous and hoping I can get some buddies to push me to that. I would be happy to encourage all I can. We can do it!!! Sometimes it just has to be about us. That's why I like where I am I feel like I can just say what I think..I have learned it's not about the look it's about the feeling and that all starts within us. We have taken the first step....we will walk it together...and feel good doing it. The best of wishes to all!!!

AlexLea; responded:
Dusty, I'm almost 49 and need to lose approximatly 75 lbs. I'd really like to do it before my 50th birthday. There is strength in numbers when it comes to support and hopefully we can all find a lot of that here. I've also utilized the fitday.com site. Pretty shocking how many empty calories we can find throughout the day! I love my cheese and pasta, and my beer too. Try to start small and work up if you have trouble making changes. If anyone out there has Blue Shield of California health insurance, they offer Healthy Lifestyles on their website and you can get a Health Coach who can call you and help you keep on track to better health and they have many programs to assist with stress and medical conditions that can contribute to weight gain or difficulty losing weight. The program may also be offered by other Blue Plans, but I'm not sure. You can also earn points for money.

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Welcome Dusty! I am glad you have joined us.

Buffets can be a disaster for most anyone. I find that serving plates in the kitchen while actually measuring portions helps a great deal. It is too much effort to get up and get another serving most of the time.

msbucks responded:
I'm new here. I'm 36 yrs old,I weigh 240 lbs. and have the goal of losing 91lbs. by 2/14/2010 and just signed up for fitday.com and i'm trying to figure out what this means? What should my calorie intake actually be per day? 971 or 3,500? or 2,529(minusing 971 from 3,500?) Fitday tells me to do the following- help me understand. 46 week(s) 6 day(s) Pounds to Lose: 91 Pounds per Week: 1.94 Pounds per Day: 0.28 Cal. Restriction per Day: 971 This table estimates your daily calorie restriction based on your weight goal. This is an estimate of how many calories you need to cut back each day to acheive your weight goal. Based on the guideline that a restiction of 3,500 calories results in one pound of weight loss, to acheive your goal of losing 91 pounds in 46 week(s) and 6 day(s) you should restrict your calorie intake by 971 calories per day.

zoodoo613 responded:
That is confusing! Next to the Calorie Restriction tab in fitday is the Calorie Balance tab. Look there, that will tell you how much you should eat.

The 971 is how many fewer calories you should eat than it takes to maintain your current weight. It's not an especially useful number by itself. You subtract it from the calories you burn to find the calories you should eat. 3500 is the number of extra calories you need to burn to lose 1 lbs. Fitday is showing you all the math, how if arrives at the amount you should eat, but you can just skip it all and go to Calorie Balance tab. For your weight and goal I would expect something in the 1300-1500 calorie range.

I hope that helps!

lovespence responded:
Ok this is my first post but I also have trouble as far as motivation goes. I was always a size 16 or 18 through high school and once I graduated the weight started slowly falling off. One day I decided to test my self to not eat meat but other healthy protein-rich foods instead and dropped about 35 lbs and fit into a size 12-13 after about 2 months! I was very happy at that weight but then I got pregnant and gained about 45lbs. My highest pregnancy weight was 245, I now ( 18 months later) weigh 262. I've dieted on and off and the most I have be able to lose is 15 lbs, just to gain it back. I would say I eat mostly because of entertainment. I LOVE the taste of food, I enjoy goin gout with friends and dine out often. I also would say I have a very addictive personality. I am a smoker, I like to drink but I only do this one night a week and limit myself to 1 to 3 miller lites, and I also love to shop. Part of the reason I shop so much is that I am constantly changing sizes...I would love to know some tips to stay motivated and fight these addictions!

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Welcome Lovespence. I would highly recommend journaling both your foods and your emotions when you eat. Since you eat for entertainment, you should consider other Substitutes for emotional eating. Three Miller Lights is more than 3 slices of bread worth of liquid calories. That adds up to 17,160 calories per year...which equals roughly 5 lbs of extra weight. I have my own 110 calorie container of liquid calories (Coca-cola) that I am willing to adjust elsewhere to keep in my life...but you need to keep that in mind as well as a possible problem in losing the weight. Especially if you grab a handful of peanuts or an appetizer with those beers.

msmorr responded:
I am in the same predictament. I've joined women workout world maybe about 5 times, I'll loose a little weight, and stop. When I was in my early 30's, I lost a substantial amount of weight, kept it off for over 8 years. After I turned 40, All hell broke loose. I can't even loose a pound without doing something crazy or drastic and you know what happens when you do something crazy or drastic, the weight comes right back. I need big motivation.

So now, I work at a hospital facility, we have a on-sight fitness (work-out) facility, which I am planning to join. First I am putting God first by praying for me and you, workout 3-4 times a week , and make better choices of the food I eat. Easier said then done right! well we can motivate each other.

HealthyLivingNC responded:
Hi Dusty -

First and foremost -- stop the pity party. I'm sure you are a wonderful person and there is a lot to love about you. OK, so you've got a few extra lumps and maybe you aren't as healthy as you should be but you've gotta start loving yourself. You deserve it !!!

I've been in the same boat you are and had a big health scare back in November. After that, I vowed to live a healthier lifestyle. My focus isn't on weight necessarily, but on healthy living. Amazingly enough, the pounds are melting away due to better eating habits, a more active lifestyle, and a better mental attitude. I've lost about 30 pounds but more importantly, I feel better, my blood pressure is back to normal, and my cholesterol & blood sugar are under control.

I've started blogging about my journey and would love to have you join me tinyurl.com/dbp4u3. If nothing else, please read the post Oatmeal Doesn't Have to Be Boring tinyurl.com/dgqzq7.

My motto: Diets are temporary -- a healthy lifestyle is forever.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I joined this community in January of 2013 and had a lot of success...losing 35 pounds in 5 months. I didn't stick with it. I stopped coming to th...More

Helpful Tips

Sugar: All you need to know
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kristin-kirkpatrick-ms-rd-ld/dangers-of-sugar_b_3658061.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.