Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Still plodding away
maybembt posted:
Hi Everyone,
Sorry I haven't been posting. Since I broke my wrist and got this humungous cast, I've had a lot swelling, and pain, trouble sleeping and bursts of emotion. I decided that the cast is too tight. I have been urged to go get a new one, but I don't want another Guatemalan cast. Sunday an ortho doc from the states will be in the area. I will go see her. I am looking forward to a new looser normal wrist cast.

After a short break, I resumed my sunrise 30 min walks. At the moment aerobics is not an option. Despite my sedentary life, I continue to lose weight. I am going to march right past that 200 mark!
Marybeth 228-201-150

I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses.
NOW CHOOSE LIFE (Deut 30:19)

jis4judy responded:
Hi Marybeth
good job sticking to plan and walking is really the best exercise in my mind anyway...
Glad to hear you are getting another check up on the wrist maybe the new doc from the states will have different input
Good that you are still loseing in spite of your situation..
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Marybeth,
sorry you are having so much residual pain with your break. Make sure whenever you are sitting or lying down that you support your cast at an elevated level. When seated use your good arm to get your cast up on a table or even put a folded pillow between you and your cast if a table isnt available. When lying down, you should always ALWAYS put a pillow or two under your cast , from elbow to wrist to raise it up to at least level with your prone body or better yet, just above your prone form. Casts are heavier than we think and that extra weight constricts bloodflow like you wouldn't believe, which in turn causes swelling and pain.
I've been thinking alot about your continued weightloss , which started right around the time you were put on "inactive duty". It's hard to figure out exactly how much we do in our lives , just by doing our regular duties. Marybeth, is it possible that you had maybe WAY UNDERESTIMATED or under charted your daily activities? I'm wondering if , while you were trying like heck all that time before your accident you still couldn't budge your weight, if maybe you were not actually eating enough calories to feed your activity level...... only thinking this because now that you are doing less, you are losing..... perhaps when you get back into doing everything you were doing, you should up your daily intake by a few hundred calories to better balance it and continue on your losing streak....
just a thought, you don't have to do this, but that's my opinion of what was happening for so long.
huggs
k
Kim SW 243 CW 183.4 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

abnersmom responded:
Great news about the doctor and the weight loss. Onederland here she comes! Keep us posted about your wrist! Praying for a smaller cast and no complications to your healing.
Debbie SW 265 CW 157 GW 150 - To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable. Helen Keller

maybembt replied to abnersmom's response:
I probably am already in onederland. This cast must weigh 5 lbs!
Marybeth 228-201-150

I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses.
NOW CHOOSE LIFE (Deut 30:19)

totallywiggedout replied to maybembt's response:
LOL Marybeth. All you have to do when you see that American dr on Sunday, is when she gets the first cast off and before she puts on the new one, tell her you MUST weigh yourself. If she has any heart at all , she'll understand perfectly.
huggs
k
Kim SW 243 CW 183.4 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

Tomato05 responded:
I hope you will get a better fitting cast; that should make your life a little better.

And congratulations on the weight loss - that can at least serve as a form of consolation for you in this awkward period.

blondie454u replied to maybembt's response:
Sorry about the troubles but hopefully the new doctor will be able to help you better. Yes weigh yourself when the doctor takes it off before they put it back on. Glad you have managed to stay on your journey. Congrats to you in sticking with it through a tough time.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Having weight issues is not new to me. Maintaining a healthy weight has been a life long issue. Being 100+ lbs. overweight is something new. After a f...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.