Skip to content
A Silk Purse out of a Sow's Ear
totallywiggedout posted:
Tonight. Monica came out to the kitchen and said she liked diced onion in her hamburger meat, prior to cooking, not ON the burger when done....Ok, so, I taught her the old trick of cutting cross hatch patterns into the top layers of a whole onion then slicing it thinly, making ..... wait for it..... thinly diced onions without a cutting board... TA DAHHHHHH . Yep, she was impressed to, I could tell, lol.
But, from there, folks , it got curiouser and curiouser.... this girl who blatantly will deny that she has any cooking skills, and flat out KNOWS without a shadow of a doubt that she is worthless in the kitchen because she cannot "just throw" stuff together and make a meal, stood and watched me. Truly and honestly tasted EVERYTHING I handed her to try, like curry powder and the coconut water I was using for my chicken fingers, and watched while I threw together a Moist dip of coconut water, honey, dash of lime , then the dry coating of corn meal, wheat flour, and curry powder..... then tasted the chicken fingers when they were done... The funny thing was, she was interested enough to actually take a taste on her finger of the curry, made a face(of course) but I told her to hold it there, then sip the coconut water..... You could actually see the AH HA moment it melded together on her tongue. Then I explained that these were basic ingredients for Indian food, lime, curry, coconut... etc and told her that certain elements just were MEANT to be together.
I told her that for the most part it was just the experimentation and knowledge of what the herbs and spices taste like that she needs to learn.
So, I'm buzzin around getting stuff in the oven and here I turn around and catch her taking a taste of the Italian seasoning mix, lol.
A STAR IS BORN! I tell you all she needs is a good shove off a steep cliff and she'll be flyin!
huggs
k
Kim SW 243 CW 183.4 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

FirstPrevious12NextLast

Tomato05 responded:
Well, even waking up late to cooking is better than remaining helpless; she is lucky to have you as her guru.

I think she had to, sooner or later, as one cannot always eat convenience foods for life. Surely she would get envious/curious at some stage if her friends invited her for dinner at their homes, or talked about recipes.

Maybe give her a challenge - an easy recipe from skinnytaste.com and leave her the ingredients, so she can create it herself! And of course praise her efforts afterwards...

totallywiggedout replied to Tomato05's response:
Monica's only 19 and had a father, now estranged, that literally told her she was worthless. So we are working on her confidence. In everything.
I already told her that we will be doing some of those skinnytaste recipes. I also, had to break it to my bf that most of those recipes are either chicken or turkey.... or meatless. OMG you'd have thought I'd suggested he fly to the moon without a ship. Look on his face... PRICELESS.
Michael has been worrying me though. For ages he's been getting up in the morning saying how his ankles hurt, or his feet, or his knees.... He was a competitive kickboxer in his 20s and he's now paying the price of being an aging full contact sports player. But for the last two months or so, he's been getting up and saying "I don't feel good". To me, there is a HUGE difference between joint pain and an all over feeling of malaise. I don't like it at all , and he's not a doctoring person. He's also been , like I've said before, more and more averse to eating anything he perceives as "healthy" , the more I try to eat better, the more he rejects it. It's starting to show on his waistline too. So I've gotta start somewhere, and if he goes hungry a few times for rejecting the better , healthier dinners, maybe he'll snap around , start eating and FEELING better. I sure hope so. He's kinda got me scared.
huggs you guys
k

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

blondie454u replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Kim,

I love HA moments. I love it when someone takes interest in what I am doing especially when I know they need to learn it. About your bf. I understand your pain. I had an ex did the same things and now my step daughter. Her dad, me, and my son have all joined on the healthy wagon. She refuses but yet fuses how she wants to be skinny and I try to tell her that she has to work for it but won't listen. She skips breakfast and sometimes doesn't eat because it something she supposedly doesn't like but won't try it. So when you find a solution let me know lol
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

mefirstforever responded:
Kim,

Monica is so lucky to have you as a mentor. And that she is open minded enough want to learn.

They say that there is always someone in our path that helps us grow. You may be one of these persons for her at this time.

Amber you know that she is young and probably strubern like I use to be when I was young. What ever my mother said, I would not lissen and do my own thing.
Helene GW 140 CW 198.2 SW 224
Every day is a gift do your best, be kind including to yourself and smile.

mefirstforever replied to mefirstforever's response:
oups i pressed on the wrong key. lol

She is probably doing like other kids in her school. Shipping meal seams to be a trend. Maybe she has to ear it from an other person. Or even going to the library and finding a good book that explain the principle of putting fuel in the body in order to start the furnace. The main reason why we have to eat breakfast like a king lunch like a prince and supper like a..... peasant I don't really like to say peasant because they feed us.

Good luck it is so not easy with young kids these days

Huggs.
helene
Helene GW 140 CW 198.2 SW 224
Every day is a gift do your best, be kind including to yourself and smile.

3point14 responded:
Kim, if I knew you in real life, you'd have a cracked rib from how hard I want to hug you. You are doing such a good thing for that girl, ugh, I'm getting teary-eyed just thinking about it. I've had a lot of confidence issues myself and my Gram helping me to learn to cook was a HUGE help in making me feel like a competent, worthwhile person who could take care of herself. I could not be more happy for you and for Monica.

(Huge hugs)

About Michael...All I can advocate is patience. It took my boyfriend ballooning an additional 50 lbs heavier than his usual 300 lbs to really get serious about his health. He's a former athlete too, and for some reason he seemed to think he was invincible. I'd bother him when I was going to the gym alone, cook either only me food or just small portions of his food, and finally had to say "Look, if you're not going to take your physical health seriously, why are we in this relationship? I'm not going to marry someone who's going to leave me a widow young".

Flash forward eight months later, M is now 65 lbs lighter, going to the gym at least thrice weekly, and taking some control in the kitchen...when I let him.

Michael will come around, if for no other reason that nobody likes to be in pain. I know it's scary to see people deteriorate physically, but besides force-feeding him, there's nothing you can do!...though if you think you could tie him up to a chair and get some turkey in him, by all means, it is an option! hahaha
SW:170 CW:132 GOAL!120

You can do what you want to: whenever you want to,
You can do what you want to: there's no one to stop you...
~~Elliott Smith

totallywiggedout replied to 3point14's response:
Actually, Pi, I not only could do the force feeding , but with my experience with health care, I could actually keep him alive for months on drip IV and naso gastric tube feeding.... wouldn't THAT be fun???!!
Anyhow... consider me hugged. I accept your bone crushing bear hug, over the miles, with gratitude. Yes, Monica is slowly coming out of her shell and doing a whole lot better being more confident. We are a very open family. It's how I was raised , it's how I raised my boys. We talk about everything and NOTHING is off limits. The only thing I insist on is truth. Even if the truth hurts, it still can be taken at face value without having to cut thru a layer of bs and "gold veneer" .
As for the recipes, it's gonna start happening tomorrow. It rained today off and on, the boys worked so Michael and I took Monica and walked thru a couple of lots of manufactured homes, just to see what they look like nowadays.... Not impressive, but it killed an afternoon and got her to open up even more to "family" time.
Hey whatever works, lol
Her Bday is Monday, I've just found out that she has enlisted MOI, otherwise known as YOURS TRULY, to help Alex build her a cake from scratch, lol. UMMMMM yeh.....
Unfortunately that's as far as she has gotten we are still breathlessly awaiting what FLAVOR she wants.... She asked what kind I can make and I told her whatever her little heart desires.... so she's thinking.... More on this later, maybe..... MUCH later
huggs
k

jis4judy replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Hi Kim good luck on the cake building on Monday and Happy birthday to Monica. If you need a really good fudge cake type thing I have a great recipe for a Chocolate cake with Chocolate frostiing it can accually be found online "wellesly fudge cake" I make that for most occasions

I am glad you and Monica are getting closer and she is learning from you ... thats great news
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout replied to jis4judy's response:
Judy, it is now quarter to 11am Sunday, and I still have no idea what flavor cake she wants. Last night she was leaning toward a white cake with some sort of raspberry filling. I have a really sweet idea, white cake, split into 4 layers, filled with a light layer of lemon curd then light layer of buttercream frosting and then a layer of raspberry preserves, then more cake and so on, then frosted with the buttercream frosting and coated on the sides with sweetened coconut flakes, I think it would be pretty awsome but she has to finalize her wishes ....... grrrrrrr. she's not even up yet......

jis4judy replied to totallywiggedout's response:
well if thats what she likes I would say surprise her
crap if it is something you have no ingredients for she has to tell you ahead of time wake her up LOL
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout replied to jis4judy's response:
Well, the cake layers are done, wrapped and refridgerated for frosting tomorrow. Gotta say, this is definitely the weirdest ass cake I have ever had the occassion to make. It was her sister's recipe and frankly, I'm not sure even now if something wasn't "lost in translation" during their texts and emails to get the recipe down here.
I don't know for sure, but I fear that it was a failure. I knew something was gonna go wrong when she told me it was made with Raspberry Ale.... Yep, you read that right.... raspberry beer.
No eggs
No butter
No milk or buttermilk
WTF?????? BEER????? Then there was the little problem of the ingredients saying Baking Powder and the instructions saying to mix in the baking SODA.... no soda on ingred's list btw... 12 oz of beer, a cup and a half of water.... this is A LOT of liquid for a cake mind you... the batter was super runny, the cake raised only to brownie level and the stupid layers weigh about 2 lbs each... no kidding. This cake is DENSE. I'm almost thinking it's like the cake from those majic pudding cakes where the liquid is left on top of the dry ingredients and while it bakes the liquid oozes through to the bottom and ends up like molten lava cake with pudding in bottom. But the cake is sorta...... spongy and rubbery.... you know those cakes right? yeh, I'm afraid that's what I have here but without the pudding bottom.
But, this is what she wanted so I'm gonna make the best of it.
I'm thinking that I may "lighten" it up with a layer of white cake and raspberry whipped cream "twinkie" filling , then frosted with chocolate on the outside and top. I don't know, I just know that the two layers together are not much taller right now than a single fluffy cake layer..... not a good start, i'll try to "help" it along tomorrow when I don't feel so much like screaming.....
huggs
k

Tomato05 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Good idea to doctor the cake as much as you can, to give it a chance of tasting better!

As a novice, she should of course have gone for something plain and easy, just a standard cake without unusual ingredients like raspberry beer... She is underestimating the complexities of baking, if you ask me.

I hope it will turn out better than expected. You should take a photo of the end product (together with the new pastry chef of course).

Thanks for sharing this entertaining saga with us!

jean4u replied to totallywiggedout's response:
KIM, This IS a joke, right!!!!

You are a much better "sport" than I could ever be. Think of it as more material for your future novel. This could be a complete chapter! LOL

Barb

totallywiggedout replied to jean4u's response:
OH man Barb, if only it WERE a joke....I did some late night googling and did find that there are plenty of Beer cakes out there. Most have the eggs and butter though and the beer seems to take the place of the milk as liquid. This recipe is very close to a vegan recipe I stumbled upon googling Eggless cakes. Eggs are essential for the "fluffiness" and air pockets in regular cakes that's why I asked over and over when I first read the cake, and again throughout the mixing process.... "are you sure?" LOL
Most of the ingredients I had on hand thank God, but the beer, as a specialty brew had to come in an expensive little 6 pk and it is the worst tasting stuff...oh well, live and learn. At this point, I'm trying to think of it as a learning experience and a cooking experiment. As a "mad scientist" in the kitchen I've done worse things , lol. And to help balance the feeling of failure and futility this time I whipped up a lat night batch of peppermint patties that turned out super good and having made a smashing success on those, I slept the sleep of angles!
huggs to all today
k

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 59 years old, married to a great guy and have 3 grown sons, one of whom is married to a great gal & they have 2 boys. (Will I ever be able...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
64 of 79 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.