Skip to content
I'm still here!!
lost815cm posted:
I've been trying to check this community every few days or so and catch up on everyone. Being new is proving difficult because I have no idea what I'm doing LOL Maneuvering this stuff is hard for me, I am not very experienced with computers. Anyway, I don't think my weight has changed at all, but at least that means I haven't gained either. Life has been very hectic lately and I've been super busy. I was going to (finally) log some food/exercise stats on here in the tools section and I don't see how the exercise part is going to work. I've been making time for a quick 30 min cardio session daily on my stationary bike and according to the machine (Gold's Gym brand) I've only lost 100 calories at best. If I try to long 30 min on here, it claims that's 400+ calories burned! I can only wish LOL so I'm stuck there, not sure what to do. Obviously one of them isn't accurate and if I punch in the wrong number on here, that could totally mess up my daily numbers etc. I have no idea how to navigate this problem. Oh, and one last thing: Does anyone has issues with a racing pulse after eating? I go through phases where sometimes that will happen to me every time I get done eating for a couple of weeks at a time and then I can go months with nothing of the sort. Thoughts?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Lost, glad to see you are still with us.
As for your weight machine vs the food and fitness chart, the chart takes into account your age and weight, a heavier person will exert more energy to do their exercises. The machine is set to read only the reps that you do, so its a basic universal reading without taking into account your fitness level/weight/age. I would go by the food and fitness planner , or something close if you arent comfortable with the WHOLE amount of said calories burned.
You have to understand , not everything is the same for all people. The charting system gives you intake calories and exercise burn goals "to shoot for" , these are NOT set in stone. You will learn as you go that certain adjustments in both will be required to get the right mix for your personal lifestyle and weightloss goals. Just like finding a good mix of foods and recipes that fit your journeyand tastes, it's all personal. Whatever works for YOU.
Keep up the good work, attitude is EVERYTHING
huggs
kim
Kim SW 243 CW 183.4 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

blondie454u responded:
Glad your still with us. Kim as given you some advice and she is right. Use the fitness planner it will more accurate. Also what is your diet like? How much do you weigh? If you don't mind sharing. Maybe we can narrow down the problem.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

lost815cm replied to blondie454u's response:
I guess I should share some helpful info about me, so here's my back story (might be a little long and personal, sorry) I weigh about 250. I used to weigh 276. At that time I was borderline diabetic and put on metformin. During this time I was violently ill throwing up daily for about 6 weeks. Dr just chalked it up to a "bug going around" Obviously I lost weight from being able to eat so little and couldn't drink soda so I lost 15 lbs and didn't have to take metformin anymore according to my Dr. I continued losing weight because even after I finally got better, I was pretty traumatized from being that ill so I was extremely cautious of portions/type of food I ate. In my mind it wasn't so much about eating for nourishment, as it was about IF I had to vomit, at least it would only be a little. I also kept up with the no soda thing and drink water only now. I try to aim for 8 cups, some days I make it, sometime I don't. But I usually always have at least 5. Anyway, I kept losing and losing until I was down to 231! It must've been noticeable because everyone was commenting on it. I felt great! Then my husband and I bought our first home and we had tons of remodeling to do. I slowly started to get more comfortable with food and before you know it I gained 20 lbs back from junk food. It was easier to grab a bite somewhere than it was to cook after a hard days work. (A lame excuse, I know.) Old habits die hard. I eat whole grains (bread 2x/week, cereal 2x/week..I try to stick to Multigrain Cheerios, shredded wheat, raisin bran. pasta 2x/month) I have a major sweet tooth but love a savory one too. I love junk food. I'm an extremely picky eater so the only fruit/veg I eat is apple/carrots. Instead of reaching for candy and chips, I try to do an apple and some grilled chicken etc. I do 30 min of cardio and also stretch and do crunches and light weights. It all sounds ok on here, but it just doesn't seem to be enough. Sorry if this is all over the place, my computer was being weird and deleting some of my words.

jean4u responded:
Glad to see you back posting. Like you say, "life" has a way of getting us off our healthy journeys. The important thing, though we can always jump back on board.

Have you asked your dr. about the racing pulse after you eat? That's scary.

Good for you to make time for 30 min. workouts. I started with 15 min. walks.

Just remember we can't change everything at once. It took us, some of us, to put it on over several years. Progress is the goal, not perfection!

Barb

totallywiggedout responded:
I'm with Barb on the racing pulse thing. When you mentioned your past diabetes and your doctors visits, also in past tense, I'm getting the feeling that you haven't gone back since your weight regain. Bad move if you haven't, especially since you were prediabetic before the initial weightloss. Also, I had something similar prior to my weightloss and it was attributed to OMG scary high blood pressure. I was put on meds, in Jan of this year and by the time I'd lost 40 lbs, I was back down to normal bp and off the meds for good.
Just saying, it's better to be safe than die guessing, you had better see your physician 'fore too long.
huggs
k

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

lost815cm replied to jean4u's response:
I have in the past, but I don't remember much about that convo, so it must've been small talk. I only have this problem occasionally, so it's weird. Whenever I feel it, I just count my bpm and the highest it's ever been is 93. Normal range is 50-100, so if anything I guess it's just a good strong heartbeat. Normally it's closer to 68-70. If you can't tell, I'm a little paranoid about my heart, but with good reason. I've had heart flutters off and on for a few years now and just recently got done wearing a 30 day monitor (results Monday). Heart disease is big in my family. Grandpa had heart failure and my mom does now too. that also contributes to me being scared of getting my heart rate up too high during exercise...
~Catelyn SW 276 CW 250 GW 150

"Isn't it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back everything is different...." ~C.S. Lewis

lost815cm replied to totallywiggedout's response:
I was going to the Dr a lot a couple years back when I got really sick. Once I felt better, I was just dealing with my own hypochondria issues. You're right about the avoiding the doctor thing...I haven't gone for awhile. I'm afraid of being put back on medication. It doesn't mix with me well. I have a hard time with side effects in general. But most of all I'm ashamed and embarrassed. I took me 7 years to gain all this weight and I'm terrified it will take a lifetime to lose.

"Isn't it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back everything is different...." ~C.S. Lewis

jean4u replied to lost815cm's response:
Catelyn, sounds like you are doing alot of thinking and that is a good thing. We all feel bad about our weight gains but we can't let those feelings stop us from starting. Since your family has a history of heart issues, it is the right thing to do to get checked out before making any changes and run any changes by the dr.. Remember heart attacks are the #1 killer of women and men. It even over- rides cancer.

Getting serious about your health is just that, serious.

What you said about taking 7 yrs. to gain your weight, I know it took me alot of time, too. But the future years will come and go, too, and it is better to lose a few a pounds each month than gain some......right???

Barb

You're absolutely right Barb! I am waiting for my results. I get them Monday. Hopefully it's good news! I'm dying to know!

Wishing you good luck on the results. Waiting is hard and just deal with the news as you get it. Just remember alot of people here have made positive strides in their health by eating better and getting more active. For most of us this did not happen overnight and backslides do happen, that's why this "buddy board" is good, anytime, we come here and rant or be supportive. Just a place where we aren't judged and share our struggles and successes.

Barb

Thanks Barb! I will definitely post on here with my results! My husbands post-op appt is tomorrow as well and he's very excited to get his splints off. He had surgery for a deviated septum about 10 days ago. So hopefully he's healing properly and everything is okay with me so that way it's good news all around!
Catelyn SW 276 CW 250 GW 150

totallywiggedout replied to lost815cm's response:
Yep, good luck tomorrow to both of you.
huggs
k

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

Good luck to you both!

Barb

abnersmom replied to lost815cm's response:
Hoping to hear good news from you both today. Let us know!
Debbie SW 265 CW 155 GW 150 - To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable. Helen Keller

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, I'm from Malaysia and have just joined this group. I was a big baby (13.25lbs) and have never been small. But now that I'm in 54 with 5 pr...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.