Skip to content
Introduction
Full82 posted:
Hi I have been on the diet roller coaster since I was 18 or before. Last year was the first time I ever had an incident like trying to loose and couldnt though. I am 33 now and I was at 289 and I walked 4 miles 4 days a week or more in 40 degree weather for 3 months and did not loose a pound. I didnt eat before I left home but after I got there I would have 2 meals and maybe a snack but nothing too crazy.

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Full , Welcome!
When you first started out last year, walking 4 miles at 289 lbs is A LOT! . Even at 253 when I started , 1 mile was bout all I could handle at a time, so I'm impressed with your stamina at that point.
Please, fill in either a Food and Fitness chart here on WebMD or the one on Fitday.com. These are good tools that most of us use to chart our daily intake and exercise output. When first starting out, when it asks how active you are right now, fill it out with the LEAST active choice. Then when it does the calculations, it'll give you the best idea of how many calories and how much exercise to shoot for daily. These systems make "food diary-ing" way easier than just writing it down, becaus a lot of the foods that you eat are already in the system and you can just clik and drag into your intake menu..
It sounds like you focused mainly on exercise, but didn't really actually look at how you ate. Now I for one would like to see you focus on the foods first. Concentrating on actual serving sizes , caloric intake and nutritional values of what you eat. It's essential not to "guesstimate" how much you eat because it's surprising how far off your perceptions of "serving sizes" can be if you don't weigh and measure it all.
You have to remember to read all labels for suggested serving sizes and take note of the calories in each. REMEMBER there are NO free foods, except water, black coffee and unsweetened, unflavored teas. Everything has calories, everything must be counted. Including the oils you use to cook things in.
Try to be absolutely religious about charting your foods for awhile. Try to drink the recommended 1/2 gallon of water every day. Try to eat fresh, raw fruits and veggies, and cook your meals from scratch using the fruits/veggies and fresh unprocessed meats and using Lite salts or if you can go without salt (which is best) go with seasoning mixes like Mrs Dash which are sodium free. Try to eat the 5-6 small meals a day instead of the 2-3 big ones. Smaller meals spread throughout the day keep your blood sugar levels more even which in turn keep your metabolism working at optimum rate and helps keep hunger at bay.
Keep posting, this is a great group of wonderfully supportive people. Come here to vent, share, and celebrate.
Welcome aboard
huggs
kim
Kim SW 243 CW 183.4 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

jean4u responded:
Hi Full,

What you said about the "diet roller coaster", that can really mess up your metabolism and eating routine. I used to be a yo-yo dieter, lose only to gain more back when I went back to my bad eating habits.

Look at your water intake. Is is 64 oz.(tea and Crystal Light count). are you eating veggies and fruits and lowfat protein? This is NOT a diet but eating healthier and graduially moving more.

Tell us how you do. Good luck!

Barb

blondie454u responded:
You've gotten some great advice and welcome aboard! Also stay from processes foods. You need to eat as close to nature as you possibly can.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello my name is Paige. I am 18 years old and in college. I have struggled with my weight my whole life. I had gotten down to my smallest in 11th grad...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Link to the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner
To let people know how to find it, go to WebMD home page it's listed on there, but here's the easy link for you ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.