Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
sc00bygptj posted:
Hi Everyone....I'm new to the discussion group but just like everyone else, MUST lose the 85 lbs I have put on over the past 3 yrs. My story isn't anything different from all of you...I just turned 41 yrs old, work a very stressful demanding full time job & I'm looking for the support to get and keep me moving in the right direction.
I need to learn how to cook healthy not only for myself but for my family. I look forward to getting to know all of you and sharing my weight loss journey.

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Sc00byg! Welcome !
First off let me get this outta the way, we have our own recipes blog that we started some time ago, we share here. what's mine is yours and so forth
Save this addy in your "discussions" by clicking Watch This Discussion, so you can go back to it if you happen to miss a new recipe over the week. On it you will find a new entry about " SkinnyTaste.com" EXCELLANT site . A few of us have already tried some of these recipes ant they seem easy enough and are very good tasting.
http://forums.webmd.com/3/dieting-club-50-100-lbs-exchange/forum/2523
In order to go back to SkinnyTaste often I've clicked and dragged the addy logo onto my desktop you may want to do this too once you've tried some of the recipes there.
All newbies get this same schpiel.... I strongly suggest filling out a WebMD food and fitness chart or the one on Fitday.com, both are free.
When it asks for how active you atm, put in the LEAST active choice, like slug or snail, whatever it says..... that way when it figures out how many calories and how much exercise you should shoot for daily it will be most accurate for a "beginner".
Try to fix meals and snax with raw and fresh foods instead of processed and or manmade.
Watch your sodium by either using light doses of something like morton lite salt or just herb/spice mixes like mrs dash or reg unsalted herbs/spices.
Drink the recommended 64 oz of water a day , that's 1/2 gallon for the uninitiated.
Chart, blog, eat to feed your body not your impulses, STAY CALM(lol, my post yesterday shows what happens when you don't ), drink water, drink water, drink water.
Do this for YOU . Everyone who loves you will appreciate it, but losing weight and getting healthy MUST BE FOR YOU.
You are worth it.
huggs, and welcome aboard
kim
Kim SW 243 CW 187.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

3point14 responded:
G'morning, and congrats on taking a big step in improving your life! My Mum started her weight loss journey at around your age (eventually losing around 100 lbs totally naturally) and I can tell you from the perspective of her daughter that it was completely inspiring. So good for you for wanting to inspire your family!

I agree with everything Kim says (she's an excellent source of support!) and also want to encourage you to check out your local library, which will have TONS of books about cooking light. Also any community college in your area probably hosts healthy eating/exercise workshops and probably has cooking classes. If those would work with your schedule, they're a great use of your time.

Good luck, you CAN do this!!!!
SW:170 CW:132 GOAL!120

You can do what you want to: whenever you want to,
You can do what you want to: there's no one to stop you...
~~Elliott Smith

jis4judy responded:
Hi scooby
You have gotten some great input so I am just adding my welcome
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

abnersmom responded:
Welcome sc00bygptj. You've come to the right place for support. Cooking is a bit easier for me than a lot of others on this board as I live alone, but I can tell you that I work long hours and still manage to prepare healthy, unprocessed meals for myself. Fresh or frozen veggies every night - I buy those bags of broccoli and steam them in the microwave a lot! I eat chicken most nights for dinner as my lean protein and I pack my lunch daily. I avoid "white" carbs and any processed foods - whole grain everything and nothing from a box. I have totally changed how I eat after logging my food and seeing how poor my nutrition was.
Debbie SW 265 CW 155 GW 150 - To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable. Helen Keller

blondie454u responded:
Welcome aboard!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

Tomato05 responded:
Welcome, and you can turn the weight gain around; it will just take some changes and time, but will be totally worth it...

lost815cm responded:
Welcome! I'm only a few days in on being part of this group and everyone is very nice and helpful!
Catelyn SW 276 CW 250 GW 150

"Isn't it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back everything is different...." ~C.S. Lewis

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 44 years old, married with 4 children. I have faced many challenges in my life: I've been sober since 1986, quit a packet a day smoking habit...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.