Skip to content
link to takeing control of stress
jis4judy posted:
http://www.webmd.com/balance/guide/blissing-out-10-relaxation-techniques-reduce-stress-spot

Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

FirstPrevious12NextLast

abnersmom responded:
Great link, Judy. Thanks.
Debbie SW 265 CW 155 GW 150 - To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable. Helen Keller

totallywiggedout replied to abnersmom's response:
I am one of those people that tend to have a lot of "mind noise" so meditation has always been very hard for me, but I have noticed that I tend to bliss out during the stretching periods on my 12 min Sparkpeople seated core video.
So with that in mind....
I have found these videos that give a double bonus of being exercise and relaxing the mind that anyone at any age can do....
they are free and easy to download from utube, just mouse over the upper rt hand corner of the video and download, if you don't have Realplayer, it will give you the option to download and run it, so that the videos are then saved to your desktop realplayer in the video library.
enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeboFELKnXQ&feature=relmfu and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1poztPhwuM&feature=relmfu and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X3p4HvnYuI&feature=relmfu
Kim SW 243 CW 187.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

jis4judy replied to totallywiggedout's response:
awsome links KIm they would help I sometimes do yoga to releive stress I use a dvd though Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout replied to jis4judy's response:
Thanks Judy, I was truly thinking about all of us "oldies but goodies" but had Marybeth and Tomato particularly in mind with these. Marybeth because she is still slightly incapacitated and is searching for inexpensive videos(and lets face it, you can't get cheaper than FREE ) and Tomato because , like me, she sounds like she needs some stress relief, perhaps morning and night to sleep better and get a better balanced more zenlike outlook on daily life.
But someone one of the younguns, Amber? can't remember,.... had some trouble sleeping through the night too. I have trouble with this also, and Monica is a terrible sleeper. I am thinking that some relaxation tai chi at night might be the ticket to these troubles.
I just want the best for everyone here, the very best sleep, the best outlook, the best perspective, the best LIFE possible for all of us.
Huggs to all and sunder...
k

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

maybembt replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thanks Kim for the links. I don't think I am ready for them yet. Cant you see me trying to do those flowing movements with this cast? Maybe in three weeks.
Marybeth 228-201-150

I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses.
NOW CHOOSE LIFE (Deut 30:19)

Tomato05 responded:
Thanks, Judy and Kim. We can all probably do with some calming of our minds. Very useful links.

That's why I like exercise so much - it's like my meditation: I just focus on the moment, breathe deeply, listen to music, think positive thoughts,move rhythmically, all while I exercise (and gain some strength and fitness in the process). For a good hour I am on a different planet, removed from the daily challenges. It really soothes me.

And I drink lots of hot tea, like the article suggests, probably much more than they would recommend!

Kim, I actually sleep quite well, once I get myself into bed! My problem is more that I resist going to bed, for some or other reason.

But my husband will be back from his travels by Monday, and then I will have to go to bed early again, as he gets up very early (and then I have to, as well, to make breakfast). Besides, when I eventually get a job, I will have to be up very early if I want to fit in a gym visit before work.

My main sources of stress are my husband and weight, to be honest. Once I start working, I'll have an added source of stress of course. That's why I'm keen to at least get my weight down and eliminate that one.

totallywiggedout replied to maybembt's response:
Actually, no Marybeth. I did mean for this for you right now, especially since you've gotten the smaller lighter cast. Doing some light exercise and flexing with that hand's wrist and fingers will greatly improve your chances of healing quicker and having less muscle loss from having the cast on and not using that arm for so long.
When I broke my wrist, and had a cast like yours, I started doing exercises using rubber bands hooked around my thumb and fingers and stretching it out tight so that I wouldn't lose my muscle and the strength in my hands , which will happen over a very short period of time.
I'm sure you have some wiggle room in the cast to flex your wrist some. That's all you need to do the tai chi , it doesn't have to be "beautifully flowing" just workable at this time. Otherwise I do STRONGLY suggest the rubberbands if you have any there. By the time my cast came off, my dr was very impressed that the size of my forearm hadn't much deteriated and I had almost all of the same grip strength that I had pre wrist break.
huggs
k

Kim, I did some rubberband finger exercises today. yesterday I couldnt push the button on the camera hard enough to take a picture, but today after playing with a rubberband, I was able to take a picture. My cast is very tight and is cutting into my wrist and my fingers are swollen, I definitely wont be able to do any wrist exercises until the cast comes off. I am working on elbow exercises. Thanks for the finger exercises.
Marybeth 228-201-150

Oh Sweety! I'm so glad they helped. Don't do too many especially if you are still having wrist pain and swelling. Just a few minutes a couple of times a day, ok?
But when you start feeling your fingers swell, make sure you get those babies raised UP above the level of your heart for at least 5 min. When walking around, Marybeth it's always best to have a sling. just a piece of cloth around your neck and holding the wrist part of the cast at a slight upward angle close to your body helps alleviate some of the swelling from the weight of the cast.
Every little bit helps though with regaining your full motion and strength. Casts suck the healthy muscle right out of a limb so it's always best to do light exercises when you can tolerate them.
Huggs to you
Hope to see some of those Pics, lol
k

Tomato05 replied to maybembt's response:
When I had a heel fracture, I was far more active than recommended and hobbled around all over the place, sometimes even removed the boot, sometimes with the boot but even without the crutch. My fracture healed well, and I think it was a good thing I wasn't too passive. The increased blood flow helps the healing.

Not that one must go crazy of course, but the bit of activity also helps to keep the muscles from shrinking and deteriorating a great deal. So, I think you are doing the right thing with your finger and elbow exercises.

totallywiggedout replied to totallywiggedout's response:
LOL I can remember walking around everywhere I went working the heck out of that stupid rubberband. boing boing boing. Truth be known, I think my grip was even better after my break because of that rubberband exercise. I used the same technique when I had carpol tunnel surgeries on both hands 10 years later and it worked for that too.
Those little handball or raquetball balls work too but i figured that they would be hard for you to get. The rubberbands are cheap and can be found bout anywhere.... obviously, even in the jungles lol
huggs
k

Kim, My fingers are sore!
Marybeth 228-201-150

Too much, Marybeth, slow and steady. But they will get better, just do some today, twice or three times for just a couple of minutes. LOL you are working muscles and tendons that you've let get lazy, of course they hurt a bit, but don't overdo it, Take an aspirin and call me in the morning, lol
You'll be fine
love ya
k

I have to admit though, Marybeth, when I first thought of using a rubberband for my break, I overdid it too. It wasn't my fingers so much as the tendons in my palm. I woke up with my hand in a "claw" shape that took a good 10 min worth of rubbing just to get moving again.
When you say fingers are sore is it from the abrasion of the rubber band on your fingers, like could band aids help to cushion the spots? or is it that they hadn't been worked in so long that they are just like muscley sore?
If it is muscle soreness, it's just gotta be worked out. So some light band stretches, don't stretch it so far, just enough to get some tension going, then relax. Just like every other muscle, your hand and fingers need to exercise.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

k

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello my name is Paige. I am 18 years old and in college. I have struggled with my weight my whole life. I had gotten down to my smallest in 11th grad...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.