Skip to content
Exercises that I can actually do?
Fynness posted:
This past year I had both my knees replaced at the same time. The recovery took a bit longer and it took the Dr. over a year to get me into the clinic to get the surgery done. In the meantime, I've gained over 100lbs. just sitting around on my computer not being able to walk like once I did everyday. NOW.... I find after this surgery and things I used to do are difficult at best and I cannot kneel at all yet, as it's far to painful still. I can't get into a position to do sit ups, I have started using the stationary bicycle to get back into shape but other than short walks and the cycling.. does anyone have any other ideas for exercise so I can lose this weight I've gained
I'm in my mid 50's so between the arthritis and back pain I know some of it is going to painful at first but I simply cannot kneel on my knees at all yet!

Any ideas would be appreciated at this point! I've already changed my diet and eating habits... I'm at less than 1000 calories a day eating fish, fresh fruit and veggies. I'm just not getting enough exercise it seems. help!

jean4u responded:
Hey FYNNESS,

Welcome to our world! Thank goodness the knee surgery is behind you. Now you can focus on getting healthier. It is sooo easy to gain that weight and we get discouraged sometimes on how long it takes to get it off. That is why it is soo important to have a support group like us.

Now about the exercise. Have you Googled "chair exercise" that seems to be on you tube. I use a Pedlar when I watch TV, but you can put this on a table for arm workouts.

Good for you to start doing a healthy diet. I do that most times LOL.

I hope you will stay here and post. I am 67 and ballroom dance and go bowling. Keeping our weight down just gives us easier times with our joints.

Good luck!!!

Barb

totallywiggedout responded:
Try this 12 min seated core exercise Fynness. I have a crushed left hip and haven't been able to stoop, crouch or kneel for about 13 years now. I do this exercise video every evening and I walk. Walking has been the best overall fitness regime for me,because it helps to strengthen the glutes(butt), thighs, calves and all the tendons needed to help support your lower appendages. It has also helped keep my arthritis in check by "lubricating" those stiffened up spots. Just sitting isn't good for arthritis at all. I did for the longest time too, but you just have to take your pain meds if you need em, I have started taking a BC Powder for Arthritis every night at bedtime, this has helped immesurably when it comes to morning stiffness.
12 min seated core
http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/videos-detail.asp?video=42

Also bookmark that site and these for easy on the joints tai chi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5hvODK2zW4&feature=related

and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esdNEkKXGiA&feature=relmfu

As for the weight gain, the best suggestion is to fill in a WebMD food and fitness planner or the charting system on Fitday.com
These are invaluable tools to keep track of your daily intake and exercise output and they basically tell you how many calories and how much exercise to shoot for every day.
good luck and WELCOME
kim
Kim SW 243 CW 187.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

Fynness replied to jean4u's response:
Hi Barb and thank you very much for your reply. I would love to be able to go bowling again! I hadn't thought of chair exercises at all!! Great idea!!!! Going to do that this morning and check a few out I appreciate the info so very much!

If we had ballroom dancing someplace close I'd love to do that too.. it's been years for me but I loved it

Lorrie

Fynness replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Hi Kim,

Thank you! Yes as barb suggested above with the chair exercises.. Thank you so much for the links!!! I've added them and will try them out for my new routine. I have already used the daily food log and exercise log so that's why I posted my question here. I just wasn't getting the exercise needed to lose the weight. Even with the calorie reduction, it wasn't enough.

I do take Naproxen daily and tizanadine for the spasms from my back. My choice to change what I eat, I hope will help some of the arthritis and joint pain over time. I do agree though, sitting isn't helping at all! I'll also try the aspirin at night when I go to bed too

I do appreciate you taking the time to respond to my question with such excellent suggestions! Especially the tai chi movement videos! I had not thought of those either... it makes perfect sense to start slow and build up movement tolerance as well as muscle tone. Awesome!

Thanks again !!
Lorrie

jis4judy responded:
Hi Fynness
Just adding my welcome you have allready gotten great advice
just in case I will mention avoiding proccessed foods and eating fresh fruits and vegies lean meats in proper portions
try to eat at least 1200 cals . it is hard to get enough nutrition to help your body with less //
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

Fynness replied to jis4judy's response:
Hi Judy,

Yes, I've changed what I eat. I did that years ago. I never eat fast drive thru type meals.. NEVER!

When I shop I look for sales and specials and try to get as much fresh vegetables and fish as possible. I'm a baker.. I love to bake! Baking homemade breads like bran muffins, casseroles and meals that stretch. So I've discovered ways to change recipes to make them healthier over the years. I've never been a "sweet"eater, and have never developed a habit of drinking diet sodas or any kind of soda. I do drink tea and make iced tea quite regularly, but as of this diet through WebMD I might have 1 glass of iced tea a day now as I'm in the habit of simply drinking water now. My caloric intake was at less than 1000.. Now..is currently around 1400. I am snacking on apples far too much and adding a few slivers of sharp cheese to go with them.

My worst area is the late evening. I Love watching movies, so usually I make a batch of (homemade popcorn.. Not microwave!) and sit and snuggle into a movie... I need to change this because that is when I indulge in the snacking Some days I can do quite well with the new routine and schedule, but the past few days have been enjoying my evenings again watching movies.. I wish I could stop this or replace it with something or stop stuffing my face all together. Just not sure what to try to replace the movie nights.

Thank you for your information Judy and nice to meet you

Lorrie

jis4judy replied to Fynness's response:
Oh My goodness FynnessYou sound a little like me
I had a bakeing habit that I had to curb I use my bakeing skills now just at Christmas thanksgiveing and birthdays
I try to avoid baked goods as much as I can .. and I did make a cut off time to help me with late evening snacking
I use a whole lot of self talk for that I fight with myself as to whether or not I am accually hungry because I do get tired confused with hunger..
I love football and I used to eat while watching games I made it a rule while watching football no eating I can only drink water during games
I had an enormous sweet tooth though that you don;t seeme to have..
I do know our bodies do adjust to smaller servings over time so it does get easier to eat less ..
do remember this isn't a diet it is a new way of eating and liveing your life it should never end so include small servings of favorate foods from time to time...
and I must say walking is my number1 exercise and I have been on plan over 9 years
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

jean4u replied to Fynness's response:
Lorrie, Coming here and talking about "things" really does help. Just remember we can't and shouldn't try to change everything all at once. This process takes time to make changes we can adjust to.

I love my Lifetime movies. Sometimes I watch them when I do my elliptical time. For sure I watch TV when I do the elliptical, that's just what I do. Most times I get an hour a day in.

I make air popped popcorn in batches. I store it in the gallon zip lock baggies. They look like popcorn "pillows", but they are ready to eat and that is my car food or between meal snack. That and a 22 oz. Crystal Light (I mix with alot of ice) and a string cheese.

Like you say, that late night eating is tough to deal with. It is that time when my will power gets weak. All we can do is continue to battle this one.

What Judy says about using "self talk" to talk yourself out of eating something is a good tool. I get alot of ideas from this board that have helped me to stay or get back on track.

Good luck!

Barb

totallywiggedout replied to Fynness's response:
Hi Lorrie,
About your nighttime movie snacking.... popcorn in and of itself isn't all that bad , it really is a fiber powerhouse. The only thing you need to try to do is to do airpop with it and try different SALTLESS seasonings. Salt will give you water weight gain probs esp if you eat it at night and then go straight to bed . It doesn't give your body a chance to work it off and expel it through exercise.
Try to make a big batch of air popped corn , then baggy it up into 2-3 cup servings in ziplocks, then season a bag at a time with different seasoning mixes to give yourself variety on different nights.
If the popcorn isn't satiating the "mad munchies" then look for some sugar free suckers, sugar free jello "jigglers"(finger jello) is also good as a snack, or of course there's always celery stix and cucumber slices - both of which are very very low in calories and high in satiating crunch.
huggs
k
Kim SW 243 CW 187.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

Oh my goodness!!!!!!

Wow! THANK YOU all so much for the advice AND the chats I am sure it does help as you say Barb to interact with discussions so it helps you stay focused. This is truly the first time, I've had so many responses from people that actually were helpful and posted from real people! I can see adding time to my routine for discussion board chat and ideas is going to be a priority now

I am not sure about the air popping idea, but I will look into it! I do like my popcorn. Financially, all I can handle right now is being able to get the proper foods, but I will check on it. Thank you.

You are correct about talking to myself and asking myself am I hungry or is it comfortable to me. The answer seems to be comfort as I am so accustomed to having something to chew on apparently, and of this writing, I think I came up with an idea that can help in the evenings watching movies... crocheting, instead of sitting there snuggled in, I can stay busy and crochet rather than eat.. I'm going to try it. Rather than eat, keep my hands busy.

Kim, again Than you for the links to the videos!!!!! they are awesome! I can actually do them without a LOT of pain and feel as if I have had a workout. they've helped my calorie log as well even though they don't burn a lot of calories, it's toning!!

To date, I push myself to get a 30 min walk in a day and deal with the pain when I get home, I'm hoping to get back to walking 2 miles every day as I did before the surgery. All this weight has been so depressing however. As Barb has pointed out, the discussions do help and Thank you ladies again for your responses and compassion in writing to me with your insight and ideas! I am now adding this discussion board as I daily "must do" and read your posts on several topics.
THANK YOU!

Lorrie

abnersmom replied to Fynness's response:
Hi Lorrie,

You've already gotten great advice from these ladies who have supported me on my journey. Barb is right about all the ideas that I have gotten here and how they have helped.

I was a cheese eater too, but have gone to the string cheese, Laughing cow cheese wedges or Mini Babybel(sp?) as occasional treats. My cholesterol was up last Feb. and with the changes that I have made, it is slowly going down without meds! Had blood drawn last Fri. and am anxiously awaiting results to see if it has gone down again. Love my apples too, but I buy the smallest ones now. They are satisfying but a few less cals.

Crocheting is a great idea - I knit and crochet while I'm watching TV too. Also, a little crossstitching, but I have two projects that I just don't seem to be able to finish - will I ever learn to finish one before I start another?!!!!
Debbie SW 265 CW 155 GW 150 - To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable. Helen Keller

totallywiggedout replied to Fynness's response:
Morning Lorrie,
Most of us are on a budget here too, so it's easier to get different , cheaper ideas going because we all have some input.
If you can't afford an airpopper right now, They aren't too terribly exp and well worth it in the long run, I think I spent something like 19 bux on mine.... well , try to use a healthier high heat tolerant cooking oil, like Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Grapeseed oil for your popcorn popping. Both are very heart healthy and thus a better choice. Grapeseed oil is basicly tasteless and very light. This is my go to oil for baking things like muffins, pancakes and waffles, yes I do have these about once a month with sugar free syrup. But FROM SCRATCH so I know what is in the mix. I don't use any salt and there's no preservatives if I make em.
Grapeseed oil, if you are in the US, you can find in big bottles for about $6 at Big Lots. If you have someplace like a dollar store or Big Lots close, shop there for healthier oils, they can surprise you with what they stock.
Google grapeseed oil, and check out it's health benefits.
Don't be afraid of using some oils and fats. You need them for good skin, eyes, gums and intestinal tract health. Just make the absolute BEST choices for nutrition and health possibilities from that particular food source.
It's all about choices that you can live with... but in order to make the best ones, you have to make them INFORMED CHOICES. google everything you aren't familiar with. It helps.
huggs
k
Kim SW 243 CW 184.3 GW 135

Fynness replied to abnersmom's response:
Hi Debbie,

Thanks for your response As I don't drink a lot of milk or other dairy products, and the serving size of the cheese is very small, I think if I eat it earlier in the day and exercise afterwards, I should be fine. Thank you for the low fat cheese ideas!! I do think I'll start purchasing those items in the future! There are some things I just can't give up simply to make sure my nutrition needs are met. Everything in moderation at this point. I do keep track on the food log and exercise log through WebMD, it's made a serious difference in my sticking to a routine.

The ladies here have been so helpful and offered up so many fantastic ideas. I wish I had found this area of WebMD a year ago

I pulled out my needles and extra yarn so next time I hit the store I'm getting more yarn. Also, being fall, I might be able to sell a few scarves for Christmas presents ... who knows..As long as I stay busy without eating in the evening, that is what is necessary at this point in time.

Nice to meet you!
lorrie
Lorrie SW 290 CW 290 GW 185
~~ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein ~~

Afternoon Kim,

I do use extra virgin olive oil and grapeseed oils Like I said I love to bake so I've learned to use different ingredients to make the recipes healthier and less caloric.

As stated prior, everything in moderation! As of this past week, when I found this portion of WebMD, I have been busy looking up ingredients and information about balanced diets. As Judy has stated earlier, this is a life change not a diet; so at this point, any changes I am making I want to make sure I can continue to incorporate them into my daily routine.

I've bookmarked so many links you've posted here now So many great ideas! Thank you !!

Lorrie
Lorrie SW 290 CW 290 GW 185
~~ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein ~~

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi there! I've been working on my weight and moving toward a healthier lifestyle for the past few years. I'm raising my two kids on my own, a...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.