Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Cooler weather hunger
abnersmom posted:
Don't know if it is in my mind or real hunger, but yesterday I had a case of Judy's Hungry Horrors. I snacked a bit more than usual, albeit healthy snacks (popcorn, fruit). I'm blaming this cool snap we are having - LOL!
Didn't take time to make the chicken barley soup, but got a container of veggie soup out of the freezer and had that for dinner. Ate too much of that too, but it could have been worse. Was hoping to post 154 today, but back up to 155 hopefully, not for long. Hope everyone is having a great weekend, besides the snacking, I've gotten a lot done around the house and that feels good. Found that I've got to get some new winter pj's though. The pants on the ones that I have on keep falling down. Luckily I live alone and Abner doesn't seem to mind.

Happy Sunday to all!
Debbie SW 265 CW 155 GW 150 - To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable. Helen Keller

FirstPrevious12NextLast

jis4judy responded:
Hi Debbie .
everytime I get those hungry horrors I figure out that it isn;t real after I eat something and it doesn;t go away if my calories are ok i might accually eat more anyway but I have gone to bed hungry a few times because it didn;t make sense after exceeding caloiries allowed for maintaining to be still hungry ... weird I think it is my old binge habit trying to get back in my mind... gotta resist them ..
I also when that happens I will check my nutrition as well as calories to see if I am missing an important nutrient that may cause the hunger .
I think extra vegie soup probably isn;t a bad thing. My daughter came by last night and brought me an old favorite godiva chocolates it was a small box i shared it with 4 people but I know I ate too much .. it was dark chocolate at least that was almost healthy..I thanked her for the gift but asked her to limit this kind of thing to 2 times a yearLOl

thats a nice way to handle food pushers LOl
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

abnersmom replied to jis4judy's response:
You handled that beautifully, Judy. I'm sure she had the best of intentions bringing you your favorite - and in a small box! I know you enjoyed it - hopefully, mostly guilt free. Sweet daughter to do that!

Today's been much better and I got so much accomplished this weekend! Can't say I'm ready for the work week to begin, but I sure was productive around the house and with exercise this weekend!
Debbie SW 265 CW 155 GW 150 - To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable. Helen Keller

Tomato05 responded:
Oh yes, cooler weather plays a role, I am sure.

That's where a healthy, fairly low-cal soup is a very good and warming standy-by to have.

In winter I also drink low-cal hot chocolate as it seems to warm me for not too much calorie damage.

I remember the feeling of pants falling down from way back in the past, but it doesn't feature in my latest dressing experiences!

Fynness responded:
Good morning Debbie

In the very short time I've read the posts from the ladies here, I know the first thing they would say is... bah, one snack doesn't ruin the entire day. I know I've had my weaknesses. We just get back on track and don't look back.

I have to applaud you Debbie for losing so much weight!! bravo! I am so hoping I can get back to my normal self. It's awesome you are actually having to fit yourself with new clothes as you've lost so much! it sucks about having to buy them naturally, but I am sure it feels exciting when you can't fit into your old clothes

I do miss the cooler weather, so I envy you. Making stews, beans and hot cereal, healthier foods and they stick with you...You have lost so much, I'm sure this week will more than make up for the snack you indulged in.. lol You are doing wonderfully!!

Lorrie
Lorrie SW 290 CW 290 GW 185
~~ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein ~~

blondie454u responded:
Debbie,

I get the hungry horrors sometimes and when I know I am truly hungry after drinking water and such I get something to eat. It's what you get to eat that's the key. Sit and think what have I not had today? Do I need to eat a veggie? or a whole grain? I just keep all sort of little veggie snacks around cuz I have been known to not eat enough and I realized that so I make it point to now make sure I have eaten them. At least the splurge was on veggie soup!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

rohvannyn replied to blondie454u's response:
I always want to tank up on calories when fall comes on. I tend to crave more hot foods then too. And carbs of varying kinds. Hot homemade tomato soup (so no sugar) is good, or other vegetable soups, or lean chicken breast soup. Or apples. They are my go-to snack when I don't want to do too much damage.

Even apples baked or microwaved with a little cinnamon on top. Another thing to have on a crispy fall evening is a nice, hot cup of tea. Heat helps fill your stomach and comforts you.

Of course, if you're me, adding hot peppers to something helps satisfy the mouth... but that only goes for people who like that sort of thing. Heat, whether coming from temperature or spice, and FLAVOR can help a lot.
Roh SW 220ish and fluffy CW 178.0 GW 140ish and buff

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

totallywiggedout replied to jis4judy's response:
It looks like, after the last few days , I'm going to have to break down and make some sort of Brothy soup to handle my hungries too.
It's been downright ridiculous. This cold snap has brought on some serious mad munchies.... and I'm BORED all of the time. I don't care if I've just finished a walk or making a huge complicated meal or have spent a while making candies.... I'm bored right afterwards. It's like something is niggling in my brain causing an itch I can't scratch..... tomorrow, I'm hitting Hobby Lobby. I don't care if I finally latch onto something stupid like Silly Putty, as long as it's what my brain wants and my hands can manipulate. I can't afford much , but I'm going to have to get something to keep me busy for awhile. It's terribly frustrating to want to DO something but not know what the heck it is......
k
Kim SW 243 CW 184.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

Tomato05 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Kim, when I feel like that I take my newspaper and magazines and go to a coffee shop and read for a good hour while sipping my tea!

Or I go to the gym, which is probably better.

Housework (cleaning) is another option! When I feel bored I start cleaning things that I have been neglecting, like shoes, sports shoes, gym bag, hairbrushes, fridge,oven, whatever. Not mentally stimulating, but at least it involves movement.

Good idea to make batches of soup, so that you are prepared for snack attacks.

jean4u responded:
Debbie, You too? I almost started a discussion about this topic.

Since I went lower carb and lean protein I have for the most part, not been ravenous.....until NOW. Must be the weater change.

I like your soup idea. I turn to Progresso soup and have 1/2 a can and add about a cup of frozen spinace, steamed broccoli, steamed cauliflower or cabbage.

I posted a recipe "Easy Peasy Soup" on Recipe Discussion. On Skinnytaste site they had a 40 calorie zuchinni soup recipe.

Another one is canned tomatoes and skim milk for "cream" tomato soup. I would use tomatoes with basil or some other seansoings.

Barb

jean4u replied to jis4judy's response:
JUDY! The food pushers are alive and well, just keep them at your house.

Really this is something we all have to deal with. For me it is the social events with "free" food, oh BTW, the free food does NOT come calorie free.

Lots of SELF TALK going on!!!

Barb

jean4u replied to abnersmom's response:
Debbie, Good job on the pants falling down! I'm sure Abner wants "Mommy" to be healthy to take him on his walks.

Barb

jean4u replied to rohvannyn's response:
ROH, That apple idea is so good because the smell of apples and cinnamon is part of creating comfort foods that don't kill the plan. I keep hearing that people who eat 1 or 2 apples a day keep their weight off longterm.

Barb

abnersmom replied to blondie454u's response:
Thanks all. it looks like I am not the only one with this problem. I'm gonna make some more soup this weekend and definitely going to do the baked apples. I eat an apple most days anyway, but the baking will be something different and WARM. Still chilly here - weird for us this early in Oct.

lost815cm replied to abnersmom's response:
I'm glad I'm not the only one in the munchie mindset! Debbie, I had an idea that I'm going to try this week where I make oatmeal and then put chunks of apple in it with a sprinkle of cinnamon. It may not be unheard of to some people, but I'm not a big oatmeal person. So it may help me eat that easier. I, too, last night had a major munchie attack to where it didn't matter what I ate, I still felt hungry! I gulped down some more water, grabbed a piece of sugar free gum, and started looking at fitness tips and that seems to keep me busy.
Catelyn SW 276 CW 250 GW 150

"Isn't it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back everything is different...." ~C.S. Lewis

Spotlight: Member Stories

I've struggled with weight issues all of my adult life. At 37, looking back on all of those years of waisted time-I can never get back. I feel for...More

Helpful Tips

Working Out
OMG I had a very hard time getting out of the bed this morning to go to the gym. I'm not a morning person, but this morning it was awful. ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.