Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Just Don't Do It!
Tomato05 posted:
I think Nike's slogan, Just Do It, is good when it comes to exercise - don't think about it too much, just do it.

But when it comes to dieting, I change it to Just Don't Do It. It is what I Do rather what I Don't Do, that is causing the most damage (like eating the whole roll of candy).

Just Don't Buy the wrong food, Jus't Don't carry the wrong snacks in your handbag, Just Don't keep your jaws moving when you are on the computer, Just Don't eat candy late at night when reading in bed - all these apply to me!

You may have a different Just Don't Do It for yourself. I have to remind myself that if I can just practise mine long enough, it will eventually become automatic Not To Do It (but I'm not there yet!).

jis4judy responded:
Hi Tomato thats a good self talk thing just do it for exercise and just don;t eat it for food choices that ruin your journey .
Good thoughts Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

jean4u responded:
Tomato, You are so RIGHT ON!

Knowing that we are in charge of what goes into our mouths and that we DO have to make plans and change plans when social events occur.

But about that exercise, Ha Ha, we must not procrastinate or dilly-dally into losing our momentum. Actions speak louder than words! I can't remember ever saying or thinking "boy I regret doing that workout". LOL

Barb

abnersmom responded:
Good one, Tomato. Like Barb, it's USUALLY the eating out or socializing with friends that does me in because I truly don't keep any of my trigger foods in my home. Last night, I went out with friends and indulged a bit too much, but I knew that I was going to do that and that's okay. I'll get back on track today and I didn't really do too much damage. I'm going to be thinking "Just Don't do it" - good self-talk!
Debbie SW 265 CW 155 GW 150 - To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable. Helen Keller

Fynness responded:
Hi Tomato,

Right on! We are the only ones that can change ourselves. CHOICES.. I like that. Choose to sit on the computer all day playing Wow and talking to friends on Skype or.. get off my butt, do my exercises and walks, which will make me feel better? Movement is the answer.

I've had to tell friends, I won't be on Skype till later in the day so I can make sure I do my exercises and won't log on to WoW until I am done, it serves as a reward for me now. I've also found, for me it's easy, if I don't purchase certain foods, then I can't eat them They aren't here at my disposal so I am not tempted.

Lorrie
Lorrie SW 290 CW 290 GW 185
~~ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein ~~

mommaxeli responded:
Yes! This will be my new motto, too! I have tremendous respect for those that seem to be able to resist naturally. I often wonder when I see someone pass on desserts or such at a party, if they're struggling mentally inside like I am! It just seems so natural to some people. I don't think I will ever pass on a dessert without struggling at least a little bit with that devil on my shoulder!

I had another bad week/weekend celebrating my boys' birthdays. I had some things I don't usually have in the house (for good reason!). I was very proud of myself yesterday. I was craving something sweet (and no wonder, after all the sweets I indulged in over the weekend...the cravings tend to overflow into the week). Anyway, I remembered there was 3/4 of a tub of frosting left over in the fridge. I began thinking about what I could spread it on...or should I just eat it straight from the tub?! So, I went out, took it from the fridge, and threw it in the trash! I then made sure to cover it with other trash so I didn't see it hanging out in there all day!

Just keep practicing saying it. It will become automatic eventually (but will it EVER be easy?! I don't think so!)
SW: 260 CW: 155 GW: 145

jean4u replied to mommaxeli's response:
Mommaxeli, Good job! I read a blog about "motivation", something we all struggle with....how to get it, how to keep it, where does it come from. Well the jest of it was first you act in DISCIPLINE, then this creates ROUTINE, lastly comes the MOTIVATION to continue progress and process.

The blog sort of implied that looking for motivation may actually deter you from getting started. The thinking, I won't start until I get really, really motivated and keep looking for that motivation INSTEAD of doing something.

Barb

Tomato05 replied to mommaxeli's response:
I agree; temptation remains temptation!

But I think that with practice one can maybe reach a point where you can almost plan your indulgences, and afterwards also get back into your good eating easier and more instantly.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My weight has crept up on me through many years of negligence - over eating and not eating the right foods. I love fresh fruits and vegetables but I a...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.