Skip to content
Tips To Lowering Sodium Intake?
lost815cm posted:
Ok, so I've been logging my food on this free app called My Fitness Pal. My husband has a coworker who lost a ton of weight using it. I checked it out a couple of months ago and decided to go back to it since I'm familiar with it. I stopped using it for awhile because I was getting frustrated with what the numbers were saying. It was my fault they read what they did, but I couldn't handle it. But not this time, no more excuses! So the first time around I noticed my sugar and salt intake were outrageous! I think sugar wise it may have been because of hot weather making me want sweets. Now the last few days that I've been logging again, my sugar seems to be MUCH better, and my salt too. BUT, my salt intake is still extremely high. It's a good thing I started using this app again because here I was wondering why I felt so bloated all the time. Gee, I wonder why? :S I've been really reading up on nutrition labels lately and am starting to get rid of all the bad stuff in my pantry. Does anyone have any tips for low sodium meals? I'm a very picky eater, mostly because I have a sensitive stomach. So I find that a lot of times recipes have to be almost "kid friendly" for my taste buds! Thanks!

~Catelyn
Catelyn SW 276 CW 250 GW 150

"Isn't it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back everything is different...." ~C.S. Lewis

jis4judy responded:
the best tip to lower sodium is to avoid proccessed food canned or packaged stuff is loaded with salt.
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout responded:
I back up Judy on her response.
If you make your meals from scratch using fresh fruits, veggies and meats, not canned (unless it says No Salt Added), or processed like hotdogs, deli meats, BACON, ham and such, then you will be much closer to your lower sodium goals. When preparing from healthier raw/fresh foods, YOU control how much salt to use. OR don't use any. Get used to using Mrs Dash saltless seasoning blends or just reg herbs and saltless spices. It's not hard to decrease your sodium intake when you do this.
Also, try using Morton Lite salt, it's still got the taste but only half the sodium. So when you absolutely HAVE to have some salt in something, you can use the same amount but get less sodium.
hope this helps some.
kim
Kim SW 243 CW 184.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

lost815cm replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thanks ladies! I do have a couple of those salt free Mrs. Dash blends. I do occasionally like to have a turkey sandwich but am not sure how to have that without using lunch meat! I try to use the most natural one I can find. I'm not sure what else I can do meal wise. I always buy boneless skinless organic chicken, but there's only so many ways to cook chicken before you are bored of it. I always get extra lean ground beef and a very rare occasional steak. It sounds like I'm a big meat eater, but I'm really not. At least not when it comes to red meat. My husband and I eat chicken more often than the rest. I'm really trying to open his eyes to all the added sodium in packaged foods (which he loves). It's also more convenient for him in a lot of ways because he has an odd work schedule. Crappy excuse but the truth. So I'm trying to work with him to make his eating much more healthy. I need to make sure I don't forget to watch my own diet!

"Isn't it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back everything is different...." ~C.S. Lewis

totallywiggedout replied to lost815cm's response:
Hey lost, if you are coming up against a brick wall for recipes for chicken, pork , beef or even meatless nights , we've just recently shared around this site
http://www.skinnytaste.com/
I personally have made 3 different main courses from this site over the past week and every one of them has turned out excellant. I have seen that a few of the others here have also had great luck with those recipes.
As for turkey sandwiches, why not just purchase a whole frozen or raw turkey breast? I love these. You just loosen the skin a bit, stuff in some stick butter mixed with italian seasonings under the skin, mash it down good to make the skin go back into shape, tent with alum foil and bake at 350 for a couple of hours. So easy and SOOOOOO GOOD.
The butter just basicly melts off but keeps the flesh very tender. No salt involved here unless you use salted butter.
Let the breast stand for about 15 min out of oven to let the juices settle then carve and serve or carve and refridgerate for your sandwiches.
kim
Kim SW 243 CW 184.3 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

mommaxeli replied to lost815cm's response:
Hi, Lost!

I had the problem with my husband wanting convenience foods, too. He works weird hours and many times misses regular meal times. I bought some different types of tupperware containers and started packing up cooked meals for him. There is always a supply in the fridge and freezer. I found that he didn't really care what he ate, as long as it was quick! Maybe that could be a solution for you, too. Just pack up leftovers conveniently so that they are just as easy as packaged foods to eat! Also, just make sure that other foods are ready, too, like fruits and veggies already washed and cut up. I know my husband is a lot more likely to snack on something healthy if all the "work" is done for him
SW: 260 CW: 155 GW: 145

lost815cm replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Oh! I forgot about that website! Thanks!

lost815cm replied to mommaxeli's response:
Good idea! Thanks!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My weight has crept up on me through many years of negligence - over eating and not eating the right foods. I love fresh fruits and vegetables but I a...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.