Skip to content
Food and Lethargy
rohvannyn posted:
I was thinking about how what we eat relates to how we feel. What we eat sets up a cycle. If we eat badly, we feel bad and we then do less because we feel that way. If we eat well, we feel better and do more, self perpetuating a cycle of health.

America's number of obese people is going up. So much of that is because we eat so many forms of simple white starches. White pasta, white bread, ramen noodles, white potatoes, tater chips, on and on and on. Add to that fat and salt and wow. When I eat like that, it makes me hungrier because of blood sugar cycles. It makes me eat more of the same. Is there any wonder we have trouble with our weight?

One thing that has changed about modern society, is the massive availability of highly processed foods. In the 1920s, say, everyone seemed thin. Yet, hearty breakfasts of sausage and eggs and hash browns and bacon and pancakes were common in well to do families. They still used white flour, but people moved more and also ate a lot less chemical gup along with everything else. Just some thoughts I've been having for a long time.
Roh SW 220ish and fluffy CW 178.0 GW 140ish and buff

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

jean4u responded:
ROH,

My Dad lived to 101. He ate bacon and all that, but was very very active. He lived by the Seasons. By that, I mean he grew grapes mushroomed-picked, you get it. I really think the closer we get to Nature and respect her the better off we are.

Barb

Tomato05 responded:
True, people eat a lot of rubbish nowadays.

In the old days I think they did not snack as much, even though their meals were substantial, and like you say, they did not just sit all day long.

We should really aim to stay away from the sugar and stodge!

Fynness responded:
good morning,

I sincerely believe this to be true Roh. With all our technology, it has made the world less active. Agricultural companies find ways to employ chemists to alter seeds, plant dna, and ever changing pesticides to "protect" crops. I read an article in National Geographic a few months ago about "Heirloom Seeds". I was astonished! The early 1900's they started keeping record of seeds that were used sold commercially and used for mass production. 80 years later when they updated the supply to see what was being used most often and what was being sold, they found many species of plant were now extinct. For example: In 1903, there were 408 different varieties of Peas sold through seed suppliers, in 1983 there are only 25 different varieties.Lettuce, 407, now 36. Squash..once at 341 now down to 40. We are eating what these companies provide us with and it appears to be very little!!
( National Geographic July 2011 page 117 chart) Try to buy heirloom seeds! They are expensive!! Reg. romaine seeds .99 heirloom 2.49 and higher. Some seeds for far higher amounts.

Food manufacturing plants find the cheapest ingredients and figure out how to sell them at massive profits. All the chemicals and preservatives added to make them taste good is in no way healthy.

Lorrie
Lorrie SW 290 CW 268 GW 185
~~ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein ~~

blondie454u replied to Fynness's response:
I totally agree! Basically it's humans killing other humans with their chemical ideas. Yes we have choices that we can make but that process stuff is so much cheaper and easier. Which choice do you thing most ppl are going to make?
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

rohvannyn replied to blondie454u's response:
If you have any garden space, one thing you can do is join a seed saver's group. My local library actually has a seed bank you can go get heirloom seeds at, and advice how to grow them. I really need to get some buckets or something for a little square foot gardening on my tiny patio.
Roh SW 220ish and fluffy CW 178.0 GW 140ish and buff

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

hopeilose replied to rohvannyn's response:
I really like to garden!! But really have never purchased heirloom seeds...Such a good idea, next summer I am going to aim for that goal. With Monsanto making so many gmo foods and seeds, it is imperative now to get the heriloom seeds.
Oh and rohvannyn your local library is awesome, a seed bank savers group. We have a local agriculture extension office in my town, I need to find if they know of any seed saver groups...Thanks for the tips ladies..
Nancy

Spotlight: Member Stories

Having weight issues is not new to me. Maintaining a healthy weight has been a life long issue. Being 100+ lbs. overweight is something new. After a f...More

Helpful Tips

Sugar: All you need to know
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kristin-kirkpatrick-ms-rd-ld/dangers-of-sugar_b_3658061.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.