Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Debbie's cholesterol
totallywiggedout posted:
Because it's a big deal. Debbie's health is , a VERY big deal .... and I think it deserves it's own slot on the blog.... I'm requesting that everyone do some searching, either www or in library, wherever you can think of , to find some types of cholesterol lowering techniques, non medical interventions, herbal remedies, whatever.... for Debbie, and post your findings here.
If it's www, post the link.
If it's in a book , please post the books name, author and maybe even the page or section to look under.
If it's an herbal remedie that has some proof under it's belt, post a link or it's name and some findings for its benefits on lowering chol.
ALSO, and this is a biggie.... IF you find that your offering IN ANY WAY reacts to certain types of medications or if it may be a known allergen, PLEASE post a warning with it so that she will be able to have that info right off the bat before she tries anything.
Thanks guys in advance for your attention to this...
huggs
k

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/red-yeast-rice/NS_patient-redyeast
Kim SW 243 CW 182.6 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

FirstPrevious12NextLast

totallywiggedout responded:
I buy a lot from Iherb.com. I like that the shipping is free after $20 spent and for what I have ordered , it's way cheaper than the local health food store.
Debbie , I took the liberty to look for the red yeast rice stuff there, link here
http://www.iherb.com/Red-Yeast-Rice-Coenzyme-Q10

they have just the regular and this with the coenzyme just so you know.
huggs huggs
k

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

Fynness replied to totallywiggedout's response:
I don't believe I've talked to Debbie yet Kim. What health issues? I'll help if I can.

Lorrie
Lorrie SW 290 CW 268 GW 185
~~ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein ~~

abnersmom responded:
Thanks Kim. I appreciate this and am always open to suggestions. I have read the info on mayo clinics site several times. Have not tried the red yeast yet. I don't put much stock in supplements except ones that I have discussed with my doctor. May try the red yeast, the chia seeds sure haven't worked. I know that there are many factors in the cholesterol problem and I certainly don't know it all so keep the ideas coming! It just may be the heredity part and maybe these changes (which I made last Feb.) have helped to keep it borderline high rather than high. I have friends whose numbers are higher than mine whose doctors have said nothing to them about meds. I appreciate that my doctor is proactive.
Debbie SW 265 CW 155 GW 150 - To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable. Helen Keller

totallywiggedout replied to abnersmom's response:
I hate "fads" and anything ANYTHING that earns the medias approval by being called a , and I shudder to even write this word, "SUPERFOOD" .... I can't tell you how much that word grinds my butt. It's a falicy to think of certain foods that have been around almost since time began as that and it grinds me to think that people get sucked into the hype just because a word saturates the media like this one did. Hence chia seeds. Yes, they have been a diet staple in some little village in the mountains of siberia or timbuktu for ages, but their diets REQUIRED supplimental foods that could be scrounged up or grown easily for added nutrition. OUR society with it's great abundance of foods doesn't need overhyped , under studied "new foods" to add nutrition. The health benefits aren't all they are stated and they haven't passed FDA approval for their stated benefits because it's not proven yet.
Don't fall for the hype. Unless you thoroughly research a new food, a lol, "superfood", and you know without a shadow of a doubt that it gives the benefits it claims and that it won't be an allergen or won't detract from or counteract with the meds you are taking....You may be doing more harm than good.
huggs
k

totallywiggedout replied to Fynness's response:
Lorrie, meet Debbie(Abnersmom) , Debbie, meet Lorrie.... there now you are friends
glad I could be of assistance

k

Fynness replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Kim! *laughing at myself*.. yes, I know her as Abnersmom I wasn't aware of the cholesterol issue. I'll see what I can find. I know my friend who is vegan has very low cholesterol and she attributes to her veggies. I've added so many of her food ideas into my own cooking. I hope it works... I'm rather in the dark about high cholesterol but it's always nice to learn something new
~~ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein ~~

jean4u replied to Fynness's response:
LORRIE, BTW, Abner is the cutest apricot poodle that takes Debbie for walks.

Barb

Fynness replied to jean4u's response:
Ahhhhhhh, I do love dogs! I hope I can get another sometime soon myself.

lorrie

abnersmom replied to jean4u's response:
LOL, thanks Barb. Abner has many fans in my little condo world. They all give him treats (which is why he is a little bit on the chubby side
Debbie SW 265 CW 155 GW 150 - To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable. Helen Keller

jean4u replied to abnersmom's response:
Debbie & Lorrie, I sure would love to have a fur-baby, but I lead a sporadic busy life and take some road trips. When I reach the point of being more house bound, I may get another. It probably will be a small poodle. I can't imagine a breed that sheds. Even the Chiuaua breed sheds....and they are adorable.

Barb

Happy Sunday!

BTW, I have been eating more porcessed foods due to eating on the run, and just caving in on the occasional "annual" corned beef sandwich. Not a something I eat as frequently as I used to. Really feel bloated due to all the sodium. Drinking tea and got my water packed and Crystal Light mixed to undo the bloat. Lots of veggies, too.

abnersmom replied to jean4u's response:
Barb, Happy Sunday to you as well. It is a pain to board Abner when I travel, not to mention the expense. I have to board him next weekend to go see my son and family. It is worth it to me now because he is so much company, but he will most likely be my last dog.

My weight is all over the place right now despite staying on plan except for last Mon. when I overindulged with friends. I fully expected to recover from it quickly and thought I had, but back to 155 this morning. Anyway, I feel your pain, but we carry on, right?

jis4judy replied to abnersmom's response:
Hi Debbie have you any friends that can watch abner while you are away ? and why not take him along when you visit family ..?
I really love dogs but have no desire to have one full time myself the commitment is too much for me ...not to mention the expense haveing a dog is expensive..
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout replied to jis4judy's response:
Judy, Debbie and Barb.
I too am a dog person. Although I have always tended toward large breeds. Go large or go home, lol. But I have been really wanting something like a french bulldog for the past couple of years. They are still heavy bodied but more compact. I doubt very much that I'd ever be able to go to a dog that I could carry in my purse into a grocery store and get away with it. But, maybe. Time will tell, because I can't see myself ever being able to say that THIS will be my last dog. I truly see myself having a dog buried (or both of us taxidermied and put on a single pedastal ) together.

maybembt replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Yay for dog lovers! I've had a dog most my life. I prefer large dogs. In the states I had golden retrievers but it is too hot here for their long hair. Here I have a rottweiler. (I broke my wrist playing soccer with my dog) I have a good set up here with my dog(Angel). I bought her as the watch dog for the missionary compound, The responsibility and expenses for Angel is the missionary base. When I go to the states for the holidays I don't have to worry who is going to take care of her. One problem is that she is not the cuddly type dog.
Marybeth 228-198-150

I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses.
NOW CHOOSE LIFE (Deut 30:19)

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello all, I'm new. I've been obease my entire life, except for a brief 4 year period when I did some drastic eating and exercising. I'm n...More

Helpful Tips

cinnamon
I am diabetic and a sure way to loose weight fast is cut the carbs, exercise, and take a third of a T-spoon of cinnamon after every meal ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.