Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Update Post - Looking for Advice on Nightime Snacking...
beepnorunning posted:
It's been a while since I've been on here to post anything. My last post I talked about how I was recommitting myself to getting back in shape after several years of not really caring. I mentioned that I had been exercising and eating better for about a month and had not lost any weight. Well, it's now 2 1/2 months later and the weight is finally starting to budge. 10lbs down, way too many left to go. It's a battle. I've hit a wall in my exercise where it's no longer "new" and exciting, but instead it's something that makes me have to get up earlier than I want to. But I go. I have stalled at 10lbs of weight loss for about 3 weeks now. I know the culprit but don't know how to fix it. I have major night time snacking issues. Some nights I find myself insatiably hungry and pounding water doesn't help. Does anyone have any advice on FILLING or satisfying but healthy and non-diet derailing snacks that are good to eat when the 7:30-8pm hunger pangs start? I have nothing but low-calorie, reduced fat, etc foods in the house but eating a bunch of low calorie snacks defeats the purpose. So far I have not found anything that truly cuts off the hunger. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

jean4u responded:
Congrats on the 10 down! We are taking it one lb. at a time. Good for doing the exercise, too.

Now about the night snacking. I am a volume eater so I like the air popped popcorn. I eat 5-6 cups, just plain. (no salt) A 22 oz. Crystal Light and one string cheese. I think it's the combination of crunchy, small amount of protein and the drink that gets me through doing worse damage.

For a chocolate fix I go to a Fiber One brownie and glass ff milk.

Keep up the good work!

Barb

lost815cm responded:
I'm with Barb on this one about the popcorn! I eat plain popcorn too (single serving bag size) which is pretty bald so having a little crystal light water with it is perfect. You could also try non fat Greek yogurt, that has a lot of protein in it. I, too, sometimes get those hunger pangs that just won't quit. I pound water as well and sometimes it helps, other times it doesn't. I find that if I've had a light snack and a lot of water and I'm still struggling, that it may be low blood sugar. Think about it. You've eaten a small snack (so you don't have an empty stomach) and you've drank water (so you're not dehydrated, which can make you feel hungry) so maybe a bit of healthy sugar like an apple could help. Let me know if you find a sure fire fix!
Catelyn SW 276 CW 250 GW 150

"Isn't it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back everything is different...." ~C.S. Lewis

totallywiggedout responded:
Hey , congrats on the 10 lbs, hey 10 pounds off is better than 10 on right? Relax, you are doing it right. Your health will thank you for losing weight slowly and just keeping it off.
I like Barbs protein for late night snacking.
I do the popcorn thing too, but for me, it's proteins, because they break down very slowly and keep me fuller longer especially if I can add some fiber too.
Like this:
If you make oven baked chicken tenders.... make up a few more during that cooking session and just ziplock and freeze or refridgerate the leftover ones. Then when snacktime rolls around , split a finger in half lengthwise, stuff it into half a hearthealthy pita pocket, add a handful of raw baby spinach and some mustard. This sandwich sounds huge in calories, but really 1 homemade chicken finger is about 50-60 calories, half a pita is about 40 calories, spinach is maybe 10 cal and the mustard is about 5 calories. Big sandwich, big taste, and big filler upper for 115 calories.
Hard boiled eggs are good too, 1 egg sliced and stuffed into that 1/2 pita .... with ff mayo or miracle whip about 135 calories.
And for my sweet tooth, I go to the Quaker soft Banana Nut Bars. One plus a cup of 60 Cal Almond Silk is very satisfying.
huggs
kim
Kim SW 243 CW 182.6 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

blondie454u responded:
Congrats on the loss! For night time snacking if it's truly hunger I do a all natural granola bar and some ff milk or a spoonful of PB and ff milk.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

beepnorunning responded:
Thanks everyone! Looks like popcorn is a good way to go. I'll give it a shot. Will post again if I come up with something that works better than that for me.

rohvannyn replied to beepnorunning's response:
I'm with Kim on the value of protein. An egg, or nuts, or some boneless skinless chicken breast, or a little cheese helps stave off my cravings for massive quantities of carbs. I don't worry as much about the fat though I still try to keep my overall caloric intake reasonable. I do find that a little fat helps a lot with being satiated. If I ate a bunch of plain popcorn, it would spike my blood sugar and set up a lovely hunger cycle. Best of luck finding healthy snack options. An apple does for me if I need a quick snack, but I need to stay miles away from grapes and bananas.
Roh SW 220ish and fluffy CW 178.0 GW 140ish and buff

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 25 years old, living in Northern California. I have struggled with my weight my entire life and have yo-yoed as long as I can remember. I am d...More

Helpful Tips

cinnamon
I am diabetic and a sure way to loose weight fast is cut the carbs, exercise, and take a third of a T-spoon of cinnamon after every meal ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.