Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Noticing a difference!
lost815cm posted:
I've noticed my weights been fluctuating between 2-3 lbs and I've been continuously using my food diary app My Fitness Pal and the first few days my salt was outrageous! We're talking a couple thousand OVER limit! What an eye opener! But the last 3-4 days I've managed to keep my salt a few hundred UNDER my daily limit! Woohoo! My sugar intake has even been dramatically cut down! The biggest thing is I've noticed a difference in the way I look! I don't look and feel so bloated anymore! And yet, the scale hasn't budged! Now I was thinking: how do I figure out these nutrition labels? They're always based on a 2,000 calorie diet and I am on little more than 1,400/ day.... How do I accomplish this? Any thoughts?
Catelyn SW 276 CW 250 GW 150

"Isn't it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back everything is different...." ~C.S. Lewis

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Catelyn,
Congrats on seeing some difference in how you feel. That's a crucial first step when starting a journey. Because you have positive feedback from your body, sayin, "OH HEY!!! THIS FEELS GOOOOOOOD!!! YO, BODY MANAGER! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!"

Now, as far as food labels go, that "based on a 2k diet" thing is mostly for the vitamins and minerals percentages. Blow that sentence off , please , it means very little toward what you are looking for on that label.
On the label
1. SERVING SIZE ; tells you how much you actually get to eat for the stated amount of calories
2. CALORIES; how many calories PER SERVING SIZE. Now read this carefully because IF the serving size is only HALF of a frozen dinner, and A LOT of those supposedly good for you dinners are like this....hidden calories, then you only get 5 oz of that 10 oz dinner for x amount of calories. Those stated calories are ALWAYS PER SERVING NOT PER PACKAGE.
3. Fats; With this it's broken into Total, which is basic arithmetic, Saturated fats plus Unsaturated fats ... equals, yep Total fats..... Saturated fats are the worst ones, GO LOW or as close to Zero as possible, these are the heart cloggers, No fats are really good , but unsaturateds are a little better than saturated
4. Sodium and Sugar content; This is where you will need to pay attention probably most ..... Don't buy into the idea that just because a food says "heart healthy" , "low fat" , "fat free" or "sugar free" that it's always a better choice than the regular version..... here's why
In order to make a supposedly "good for you food" taste like the origanal version, the food manufacturers add MORE SALT, MORE SUGAR and MORE FATS to the "healthy" item. So beware! Read the labels, especially if you are trying to cut way down on sodium for blood pressure or whatever. Just because it says healthy doesn't mean it is.
hope this clarifies labels some for you
huggs
kim
Kim SW 243 CW 182.6 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

blondie454u responded:
Glad you're seeing a difference and great job on getting things under control!
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

lost815cm replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Oh thank you! I'm so glad to know that about those tricky labels! I will keep your tips in mind! Loves!

"Isn't it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back everything is different...." ~C.S. Lewis

lost815cm replied to blondie454u's response:
Thanks Amber

deborah272 replied to lost815cm's response:
Ive started but im serious this time--bought a new digital scale--i have arthritus all over and a bad back need to lose weight

totallywiggedout replied to deborah272's response:
Hi, Deb
I gave Lorrie a few links to videos. They r free and easy to download onto realplayer. If you don't have it, download one of the Utube vids first, when it says do you want Realplayer say yes and run and it will be on your desktop and all you have to do is open it and go to "library" to view your exercise vids.
this one is really good for back problems and ppl with lower body arthritis. 12 min Seated Core Exercises from Sparkpeople.com
http://sparkpeople.com/resource/videos-detail.asp?video=42\

I also strongly suggest Tai Chi for beginners, elderly and ppl with arthritis. As you know, if you suffer from arthritis in your back, hips and knees, you HAVE to do SOME motion exercises every day a few times a day or you just stiffen up. These serve that purpose and burn some calories too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeboFELKnXQ

and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5hvODK2zW4
Easy slow motion exercises that won't hurt .
Lorrie has gotten way WAY into these videos, she loves them and I'm glad I gave out a suggestion that helped her. Maybe it'll help you too.
huggs
kim
Kim SW 243 CW 182.6 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

abnersmom responded:
Great job working on the nutrition part, Catelyn! You will "get" the calorie part as well. Measure and weigh everything! I can't stress this enough. I keep my measuring spoons and cups on the counter so I don't forget. It's easy to overindulge if you just "eyeball" everything.

Keep it up and the weight will come off.
Debbie SW 265 CW 155 GW 150 - To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable. Helen Keller

lost815cm replied to abnersmom's response:
Thanks Debbie! Is there a scale you recommend that's inexpensive but quality for your money?

abnersmom replied to lost815cm's response:
Oh gosh, I'm at work and don't know the name of it, but I got mine at Walmart. It was cheap. I'll try to remember to look when I get home.
Debbie SW 265 CW 155 GW 150 - To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable. Helen Keller

lost815cm replied to abnersmom's response:
Ok thanks!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I recently took the plunge into stay-at-home mom-hood. I have four children, ranging in age from 1.5 to 17; two are step-children and two are by pregn...More

Helpful Tips

cinnamon
I am diabetic and a sure way to loose weight fast is cut the carbs, exercise, and take a third of a T-spoon of cinnamon after every meal ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.