Skip to content
Food for thought: an interesting conversation
rohvannyn posted:
I had something happen the other day that made me think. I work at a mail order pharmacy and take medication orders, check shipments, answer coverage questions, that kind of thing. I speak to a wide variety of people and sometimes I'll throw my call talk time to the wind and just chat with a customer if they need somebody to talk to.

I spoke to a very nice old fellow, extremely intelligent, who is a diabetic and who needs to test his blood sugar several times a day and thus is very aware of what different kinds of food does to his blood sugar. I found it interesting that what he told me about food matched so closely to the way I think about it, and the experiences I've had.

For example, he said that the more lean protein he eats the better his sugar levels stay, as regards keeping them low and stable. He said that he could eat a couple hard boiled eggs for breakfast and actually have a tiny drop.

He said that as far as fruits went, grapes are the worst and bananas are pretty bad, and that you'd be better off drinking the wine than the grapes it was made with. They send his blood sugar sky high.

Very interestingly, he said that eating a Snickers bar spiked his blood sugar but less than if he ate a white potato.

He attributes better management of his disease to weight loss, and removing sources of starch from his diet such as white potatoes, pasta, bread, etc. He says that eating whole wheat helps a little, but not much.

I know everyone is different, but it was good to get input from a person who had to monitor his blood sugar levels and diet that closely.
Roh SW 220ish and fluffy CW 178.0 GW 140ish and buff

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

totallywiggedout responded:
Roh, do you ever blog back and forth with Brunosbud on the reg diet community? He's always talking about kcals and basic diabetic eating plans. I'm not sure of his conditions, but it seems that he's very well informed for a blogger. Sort of like your enlightening conversation with this elderly gentleman.
That's nice of you btw. Older people sometimes don't feel useful and when you can get them to talk about something, to TEACH something, that gives them incentive to keep on keeping on. You know?
Cudos to you.
huggs
k
Kim SW 243 CW 182.6 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

jean4u responded:
Roh,

Big THANK YOU for passing on your knowledge to that "customer". Even with the internet info. it is the human sharing that is lacking in our society. Learning from extended families and neighbors is a thing of the past.

Also, sharing about the different effects of food and blood sugar is very useful.

Barb

lost815cm responded:
Wow, thanks for the info! I believe I have the same results when I eat those type of foods as well!
Catelyn SW 276 CW 250 GW 150

"Isn't it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back everything is different...." ~C.S. Lewis

rohvannyn replied to lost815cm's response:
Agreed about needing human connection. I didn't teach him a thing, he confirmed things I knew but he was speaking from experience, not theory. I feel honored when I can share stories and experiences with some of my members. Sometimes I learn a lot. Sometimes I just hear a good joke or anecdote. Sometimes I feel like I've helped someone. I always try to heep that human touch in my work, along with a lot of patients and understanding.

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

jean4u replied to rohvannyn's response:
Roh, Since you deal with people who are getting meds., you are that "human" connection to help them deal with their medical needs. I try to remember to take the time to sincerely thank the customer rep who was kind and thorough. There have been a few times where these reps gave me food for thought that helped me consider new options.

Good work!

Barb

rohvannyn replied to jean4u's response:
I'm fortunate enough to work for a place that asks me to be really, really super polite to people no matter what. I consider that a good thing because it actually helps train me to be nicer in real life as well. People get a little irritated at me when I ask permission before I ask any questions, but to me it's just common courtesy and goes against treating people like sheep. I wish more people were respectful of others, and the way I see the elderly often treated, and young folks too, I realized a while back that I might be the only person some of these folks might talk to all week. Why not make it a positive experience? The same thing is true for all forms of business.

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

Fynness replied to rohvannyn's response:
Thank you for sharing Roh! Information is good and I'll have to watch for how I feel when I eat potatoes, it's been so long though..It is good to know!

I know Customer Service is difficult, but it's calls that like, when you slow down and listen to a customer and enjoy the conversation I am very sure he enjoyed you taking the time for his part of the conversation too.

Hugs..
lorrie
Lorrie SW 290 CW 268 GW 185
~~ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein ~~

jean4u replied to Fynness's response:
Lorrie, Do you eat sweet potatoes? They seem to better for the sugar levels. I like the skins on both white and sweet potatoes.

For the white potatoes, you can lower the carb for making stuffed potato skins by scooping most of the "white" out and discarding.Nuke them first. Then season and sprinkle w/lower fat cheese, a bit of turkey or regular bacon bits, put in oven and top w/green onion. Low fat sour cream w/salsa.

Barb

Spotlight: Member Stories

I always thought I was thin, I dont know how I had the blinders on, then one day I got on the scale and I was at 171 pounds, that was my turning point...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Link to the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner
To let people know how to find it, go to WebMD home page it's listed on there, but here's the easy link for you ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.