Skip to content
Don't forget to measure
totallywiggedout posted:
Well, we are coming on fast and strong into the dreaded Holiday season. Tis the season that most of us worry most about eating right because of all the food preperation and holiday parties we attend.
Halloween candies and goody bags, Thanksgiving and all of it's bounty, Christmas and the baked goods and candy gifts, and let's not forget the downward slide into home with Easter.....jelllllyyyybeeeeaaaans and chocolate eggs. Could there BE anything more sinister than those chocolate eggs from Cadbury?
I mean, be still my beating heart!
So now, I want to remind everyone, that the journey is not only marked by the numbers on the scale. Please take the time now or very soon to take your measurements with a sewing tape measure. Do bust, waist, hips, lower tummy at widest point, upper arms rt and lft, wrists, thighs, calves and ankles. Write these measurements down and date it. Then when you feel like you've had a miserable time of it, trying to be good on your journey, but are hitting "the wall" on the scale, bring out your tape again and remeasure.
Your body will continue to change, even if you arent losing weight. This is a good thing to do to stay focused throughout the holidays. Once a month, just remeasure. I promise, it'll help you stay focused.
huggs
kim
Kim SW 243 CW 182.6 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

jis4judy responded:
good Idea Kim
that something I have forgotten to do lately ,I used to do it regularly while removeing the weight but during maintainance it can also be a handy tool to keep on plan thanks for the reminder..
Hugs Judy:)
PS about those cadbury eggs I used to love them but after a few years on plan my daughter accually made me an Easter basket and it had 2 cadbury eggs in it , I was expecting a great taste but when I bit into it it was so sickening sweet I gaged and ha to spit it out yukky now not good anymoreLOL taste buds change after being on plan a few years
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

jean4u responded:
Kim, When I first read the topic, I thought it was going to be about "portion control" because I have gotten into the habit of sizing just about everything I eat....has it's special size bowl.

But, I agree that body measurement is a good tool.

Now what you say about the upcoming holidays, we all have to gear up in our own ways. The food tempters/pushers are everywhere and have smiling faces. Having a game plan is critical. Lets not let the holidays undo our progress.

Barb

BTW, With your boys in town, you probably will have more food around than usual. What is your game plan?

jean4u replied to jis4judy's response:
Judy, I love your Cadbury egg story. I have never eaten one. Just not a sweet eater. My weaknesses are the salty spicey crunchy variety.

BTW, I went up about 4 lbs. after a few high sodium meals and salty late night snacks. I did that for about 2 days. Then I did the opposite for 2 days, veggied it up and did not eat late (alot of self talking here) and it paid off. Dropped down 4!

I just can't let myself fall back into that behaviour.

Barb

jis4judy replied to jean4u's response:
Oh Barb me too I have been flucuating wildly the last few weeks that 148 I saw last month I haven;t seen it since been hanging around 150.5 lately sometimes as much as 152 .. has to be something other than fat because I have been logging and my cals are averageing under 1500 thats weight removale cals not maintainance . who knows maybe I am trying too hard to maintaine ..
that cadbury egg was really awfull and to think I used to eat 2 or 3 of them a day at one time ..during Easter

life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout replied to jean4u's response:
Barb,
Thanksgiving will be my "test" time for the rest of the holidays. Frankly, I'll be fixing all of my staples for that holiday. I'll be making the stuff lighter this year by using bouillon cubes instead of even defatted chick broth, and light and ff mayo and miracle whip for the salads and deviled eggs instead of reg like I always have. I'll probably also use ff canned milk and splenda in my pumpkin pie too. Other than that, my stuff isn't all that different and I only cook ON the day needed. Leftovers will be sparse anyhow, they always are for us. The kids pretty much clean up at lunch and anything leftover only lasts through the next day.
So I'm set for that, got my plan and it's easy.
huggs
k

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

Judy, A real puzzle for you about the weight changes. For me, I knew exactly what were the culprits. Hope it isn't too frustrating, though.
How did your eye appt. go on Mon.? Hope well.

Barb

jean4u replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Kim, Sounds like you have a clear game plan. Just remember the "traffic ticket" story....just because we get one ticket doesn't mean we got to go around and break all the laws that day. Just let it go and do better.

Barb

P.S. I think making our plan early is going to be helpful

P.S. Don't forget HALT. Are we eating because we are Hungry, Agry, Lonely or Tired, to avoid mindless munching! Mindless munching is soo much easier when there is alot more food around, too.

Oh Barb it was good My eye doc still wants to see me every 3 months I did have better vision than last time so thats a win //I think he has seen some of his patients do badly and he is allways saying he wishes all his patients responded to treatment like I did // I did tell him I thought my body was helping the treatment because I was giveing it all the nutrients it needs to fix itself.. he doesn;t believe food can heal . I do believe it so will do what i do and see what happens , I am no fool I know I will evenually age more and have some slow down at some point but I am right now liveing like there is a bright future and enjoying my good health.. I really think doctors don;t believe in food as medicine.
I am liveing proof of it
and I am not worried about the flucuation either it will work itself out eventually I am on plan But maybe my age and stuff might make me burn less calories not sure of that .
Hugs Judy a bit of a rant here LOL

abnersmom replied to jis4judy's response:
Hi Judy,

Great news about your eyes. You have done so well healing yourself. Congrats! I believe that nutrition can make a huge difference as well.

Hi Barb and Kim,

I like both suggestions about taking measurements and making a plan. Halloween is not an issue for me because I don't crave sweets and no children trick or treat in our condos, so.... Lots of events coming up in the next months for me and I'm hoping that I stay as focused this year as I did last - indulge and enjoy, but within limits.

Not sure what is going on with my body, but still 155 this morning - maybe it's adjusting to it's new self, who knows? Anyway, as much as I would like to reach my goal and continue staying with my plan; I haven't gotten frustrated yet. May take me months to lose the last 5, but that's okay. I've come a long way, baby!
Debbie SW 265 CW 155 GW 150 - To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable. Helen Keller

totallywiggedout replied to jis4judy's response:
Glad to hear that your eyes are still doing ok, Judy. And , unfortunately , so true about doctors. They all think that that document on the wall makes them and their ideas infallible. Unfortunately, most have forgotten that their modern "medicines" and practices all have been passed down through experimentation with the plant world. From forms of medicines found and proof of herbs being grown by cavemen, through the Celtic Druids, to the Scottish Leacheries, to Alchemists, to herbalists, to Witch doctors..... our modern doctors forget that without true experimentation, there would BE no medicine. Nothing was set in stone, because EVERYTHING was possible.
You are living PROOF that doctors don't know everything and that experimentation is STILL key to getting and staying healthy.
huggs
k

Judy, Good about the eye exam! The healthy lifestyle has other rewards than just losing weight. Go YOU!!!

Barb

jean4u replied to abnersmom's response:
Debbie, WOW, look at you 155! The last few can be cling-ons. You are really close to maintenance, so just keep doing your plan. I really think the body gets better and better as the months pass and we continue to keep it off. I think the combination of healthy eating and exercise shows.

Barb

thanks Deb Barb and Kim
and my eyes thank you too I did smething weird the last 2 days
after the eye doc visit because he said "if something happens to your left eye you would be in a bad place ". so I agreed to 3 months between visits.. So the weird thing I did was while walking I closed my left eye and used the defective eye while walking I find that I can see quite well most of the area around me there is scar tissue in the shape of a curser that gets in the way dead center but if I focus down or up or to the side i see quite clear and did over half my walks with the left eye shut so as long as I can walk I am a happy camper LOL
no doomsday for me LOL

totallywiggedout replied to jis4judy's response:
But , just in case... and for in the way far off future, shop now for a very young, hunky stud to be your seeing eye guy... Even if your eyes don't get worse, it's not a shabby idea
huggs
k

Spotlight: Member Stories

(see my response to Andie's blog on Committing to Committment 4/3/11)

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
64 of 79 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.