Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
On Saving and Storing Avocados
totallywiggedout posted:
I came across one Hellacious sale on avocados at my Super1 foods store this week, 38 cents per small Haas as opposed to the regular prices of between 88 cents and 1.29 . So I bought A BUNCH. Then, as they sat there on my counter, presumeably all ripening at the same rate, I was wondering wth I got myself into, lol.
I said "if only I could freeze em..." so Cody, my trustworthy sidekick in the kitchen son, whips out his cellphone and starts to google if we can. He's soooo smart! lol
And lookee here folks! You CAN indeed freeze avocado.
Ripen as usual. Mash like you were gonna use em in guacamole. Put into plastic freezer bags or containers and freeze.
Ok so I want to use like 1/2 an avocado per smoothie, right? and don't want to pull out a whole freezer bag of the stuff.... SO, I freeze my avocado mash in small dixie cups then push em out and store the little rounds in a freezer container for individual use.
SMART
I like it!!! I'm off to buy more, lol
huggs
k
Kim SW 243 CW 182.6 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

FirstPrevious12NextLast

jis4judy responded:
Thats great I will try saveing some avacados in the freezer thanks I never gave that a thought / I am rather new to avacado ingestion ..
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

jean4u responded:
Wonder, will they turn dark? I have stored the ripe, unpeeled ones in the frig and they will keep up to 10 days without changing color.

Barb

totallywiggedout replied to jean4u's response:
I froze some halves tonight. Skipped the mashing, I just wrapped each pitted half in saran wrap then put on cookie sheet and froze till hard then put into a ziplock. They froze up beautifully , and stayed green as grass no brown patches. I think this will work wonderfully since I always had to use an icecube for my smoothies, now I can just blend in a frozen avocado half and get the thick consistancy without the ice.
Which is a great thing, because I did buy 5 more on this sale so I had a total of 13 to deal with, lol
huggs
k

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

Fynness replied to totallywiggedout's response:
and Where are you Kim??? When avocados go on sale here they are still .99 cents each I love avocados.. but .38 each??? O.O WOW! Nice
Lorrie SW 290 CW 268 GW 185
~~ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein ~~

totallywiggedout replied to Fynness's response:
I'm in northern Louisiana, but this sale is NOT the norm. Not here in this state. But, this is what they are calling a truckload sale, like FAB detergent 64load size bottles are 2.89 per bottle there right now too, so I got a couple of those too. No, this is the first time I've seen a decent sale on ANY fruit or veggie in forever down here.
huggs
k

jean4u replied to totallywiggedout's response:
KIM, I did a similar thing when I got Portabello mushrooms, the burger bun size on sale. Did not remove them from their packages and just put them "as is" in a freezer zip locks. I cooked them yesterday after I marinated in steak sauce. Sauteed onion and then added the mushrooms. I sliced them because I wnat to use for sandwich wraps with spinach and Provolone cheese.

I swear these mushrooms taste like steak!

Barb

Fynness replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Awesome Kim!~ I'd buy every one they had and freeze them like you said I'm waiting here for the sweet potatoes to go on sale.. last year they went down to .29 cents a pound so I bought 20 pounds, blanched and bagged them and put them in the freezer. I hope they get that low again this year.
Lorrie SW 290 CW 268 GW 185
~~ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein ~~

blondie454u replied to jean4u's response:
If you are concerned about them turning toss them in lime juice before freezing them.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

OH man! I could only WISH I could find those on sale here. In my dreams. I love portabello caps , sigh :'/
did they turn at all mushy when thawed?? I always wondered about mushrooms frozen.
k

totallywiggedout replied to Fynness's response:
Yeh, I bet, Lorrie. That's downright CHEAP for sweet potatoes. I can't touch em for under 78cents/lb here. Maybe coming closer to Thanksgiving there'll , hopefully, be some sales.
huggs
k

totallywiggedout replied to blondie454u's response:
I worried about them before I froze mine, Amber, but I am going to use them in different flavored smoothies like my chocolate one and my pistachio one and didn't want the Lime flavor coming through. Wondered about fruit fresh, but , truly didn't give it a second thought. Just peeled em, deseeded em , cut em in half, wrapped each in plastic wrap , froze em then bagged em to store in freezer, I did keep them wrapped in the plastic wrap too. So far so good they are green as when I first peeled em.
huggs
k

jean4u replied to Fynness's response:
Good idea to blanch and freeze the sweet taters. I keep seeing more and more ways to use them. Soups, hash, stews, etc. Good low gylcemic food.

Barb

jean4u replied to totallywiggedout's response:
They did get a different texture, but I cooked them so it didn't matter to me. Taste was still good due to steak sauce and onions. I think the water in the mushrooms changes the texture.

Barb

I wonder if pre-dehydrating the mushrooms a bit, maybe in a very low, slow oven for 20 min, before freezing them.... then rehydrating them in the steak sauce for an hour or so before cooking them(?) That may help to preserve texture from being frozen.....hmmmm, I will perhaps try that with regular , cheaper mushrooms just to test the "theory", lol
You know me, I'm pretty game for bout any new ideas that pop up here or into my own little pea rattlin around in my noggin.
Morning Barb, et al
huggs
k

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello family, I am a 49 a perosn who can't control of eating, exspiecally when I"m depress. I have been going through some problems in the la...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.