Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Making a new commitment
Mandy29 posted:
Today I'm beginning a weight loss plan and working my way to becoming healthier. My goals right now are to eliminate caffeinated and sugary beverages and drink more water, walk for 10 minutes every day for this first week, and to plan out a week of meals and stick to them.

lost815cm responded:
Great plan! I quit drinking caffeine 2 or 3 years ago and it helped me tremendously. Walking is a great exercise that helps with weight loss and stress reduction. Good luck!
Catelyn SW 276 CW 250 GW 150

"Isn't it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back everything is different...." ~C.S. Lewis

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Mandy, welcome!
Sounds like good start.
I always suggest filling in a WebMD Food and Fitness chart or the one on Fitday.com. I do the one here cause, this is my home blog site which makes it convenient.
When you fill them in, make sure you put that you are at the LOWEST daily exercise output choice right now. That way the charts will better determine how many calories per day you should shoot for and how much daily exercise output to try to get in.
While planning your meals, read the labels. Watch what the suggested "true" serving sizes for the foods are so you can measure out what you actually eat and chart correctly.
Obviously, if you are Planning your meals out, you cook some. Watch tasting as you cook. I was a "taster" until I found that I was tasting about as many calories as a small snack. I add about 6 calories per taste to my chart , so I don't do it so often anymore, lol. It all adds up and it's something a lot of us don't think about when trying to count up our daily intake.
We are a very supportive group that gives bunches of advise , ask anything and if we don't know the answer, we will help find it out.
kim
Kim SW 243 CW 182.6 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

jis4judy responded:
Hi Mandy welcome aboard you have gotten some good advice allready so I am just adding my welcoem
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

Tomato05 responded:
Your plan sounds good. Let us know how it all progresses.

jean4u responded:
Think progress not perfection. Your plan sounds very good.

We will be here cheering you on, too!!!

Barb

blondie454u responded:
Welcome! You are off to a great start.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

mefirstforever responded:
Welcome Mandy,

You are right in starting one thing at the time. This a learning experience. It's almost like starting to learn to walk. One step at the time. And we may fall but will pick us up and reach our goals.

As you go you will pick up many tricks. Keep on posting.

Good luck in your new journey
Helene
Helene GW 140 CW 198.2 SW 224
Every day is a gift do your best, be kind including to yourself and smile.

Mandy29 replied to lost815cm's response:
Thank you

Mandy29 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thank you Kim. You're right about the "taster" tip. I have to work on that also. I will definitely need the support of this group. It would be so nice if it was as easy to lose the weight as it is to gain it.

jean4u replied to Mandy29's response:
Mandy, We didn't gain the weight overnight. For me it took years. Accepting that fact is the reality that OK it IS going to take some time to shed it too.

Learning to eat a healthier way takes time, also but that is what is needed to keep it off.

Barb

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 5'6" and weigh 225 lbs. My goal weight is 150 lbs which is -75 lbs. I have "dieted my way up" by crash diets and super strict ...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.