Skip to content
New here!!
Mandi_moo1982 posted:
I have recently seen my family docotor for the first time in my life..(or at least as long as I can remember) well I had bronchitis for the 3 time this year and doc told me that she would like me to eat more protein and cut out the carbs..so I have a girl friend that is diabetic so I have been following her diet as much as possilbe but I went back to the doc and she told me she wanted me to eat no more than 40g daily of carbs...and I am having a hard time balancing my day. Any tips?? thanks in advance.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Mandi, welcome!
I was thinking that 40g of Carbs a day sounded really low from my journeys perspective, so I went googling.
Sounds like your dr wants you to lean more toward something like the Paleo diet which is an extremely low carb way to eat. Paleo works on the premise of what the Paleolithic Age humans were able to gather or kill.
From what I've read, true hardcore Paleos eat no grains or beans at all, but nuts are ok.
I found this recipe site, by accident actually, but this chick sounds like she's going full blown Paleo. From what her recipes depict, she uses alot of almonds and such for the "starchies" in her diet. This is a full blown personal blog of hers so its not just a recipe site and will give you some idea of what and how she's doing it.
http://www.runningtothekitchen.com/

otherwise, I'd say, don't kill yourself just jumping in whole hog on a diet that may not fit your lifestyle. If it doesn't , then you will be more likely to quit and fail. Best actually to go gradual, make some small changes , test some theories and use what fits and discard what doesn't .
No "diet style" is made to be one size fits all and NO doctor is infallible in their suggestions about dieting, dr's all have their own "very human" opinions of how others should live their lives. Take what your dr says with a grain of salt and do what you feel most comfortable doing and what makes you become healthy .
Start a food and fitness planner here on WebMD, or the one on Fitday.com. Either one would be a good starting tool for you to see how many calories to shoot for and how much exercise you should do daily to reach your goals.
hope this helps some
kim
Kim SW 243 CW 182.6 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

jis4judy responded:
Hi Mandi-moo
welcome aboard . did the doctor say why she wanted you to go so low on carbs?
or did she specify that the carbs you should go low on would be starchy carbs ? because fruits and vegies are also carbs . and they are good for you ... and help with removeing weight ... are you diabetic ...?
I am not good at low carb plans but I do wish you luck //
I myself rarely eat bread crackers or things like that and that maybe the carbs she was talking about ,
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

abnersmom responded:
Welcome, Mandi_Moo! I'm not able to get on much right now because life is busy, but we're a great group so keep coming back and good luck.
Debbie SW 265 CW 153.8 GW 150 - To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable. Helen Keller

Mandi_moo1982 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thanks Kim..I had not heard of the Paleo's diet..so I will check that out. Last night I did find the food and fitness planner here and worked on that and I am going to look into fitday to see which I like better. I went to a different doc today and in the last 2 weeks I have lost 20 lbs...granted I am sure most of which was water weight. or the scales are wrong.

Mandi_moo1982 replied to jis4judy's response:
Judy...well she did not say really..I think she means the starchy carbs...I am a lover of pasta's. I am not diabetic. But I do have alot of issues as of late with no energy, I am thinking I should throw in some whole grain in the morning to help with that. Thanks Judy.
Mandi

Mandi_moo1982 replied to abnersmom's response:
Thanks Debbie!!

jis4judy replied to Mandi_moo1982's response:
well stick around Mandi My plan I started over 9 years ago was based on nutrition and avoiding most proccessed foods
so far it is doable and I do have pasta but not often maybe 2 or 3 times a year and I make sure the portions are correct .I am not a fan of eliminateing any food groups ..But controling the serveing size is what is important..It takes time and effort to change the way we eat certain foods ... we do suppot each other thru good times and not so good times..You certainly are welcome to join any of the conversations the more people we hear from the more knowledge we all get //Hugs Judy:)

life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

Thanks Judy I think I will..and I saw a post a few days ago about your anniversary...so happy anniversary..mine is on Halloween. So today I could not get out to walk..thanks to Hurricane Sandy.
Mandi-sw 386 cw 366 gw 150.

Oh Mandi me too didn;t get my walk in today because of that nasty sandy ... so you married on Halloween how sweet
just in case I am not around then Happy anniversary to you too ..
HUgs Judy:)

Thanks Judy...yeah hubby is a little gothic back in the day...not so much any more. I think I am going to walk the length of my apartment to get it in. So I decided that at least once every 2 weeks or so I will make something like pasta or potato's. For halloween I think I will make spaghetti and meatballs. with a salad. I too am not wild about cutting it completely out of the diet but my doc reasoning was that the cavemen and women did not have pasta rice and potato's..I am just having a hard time because I am southern and we love flavor!! Just been transplanted to Pa.

oH Mandi if you are from the south you maybe drink sweet tea as well too much sugar I think too much sugar is the worse thing you can eat .. Have you tried barilla plus pasta
when I do make pasta I make a home made sauce with tons of mushrooms in it . You can also get whole wheat pasta takes a tad longer to cook ..
I make sure I have no more than 1 cup of pasta and 3/4 C tomato sauce I try to serve it with a salad and grilled zucchini.
No garlic bread or rolls with it too much starch on starch
Invest in a food scale and some good measureing cups and spoons.. this helps with counting the amount we eat .

I had to learn portion control with almost everything I was over eating on pasta sweets and salty chips too . it was a total overhaul of my eating habits /...

Oh yes Judy..sweet tea...I have cut that down to 1 cups of sugar for the whole gallon. I usually get the whole wheat pasta and everything. I have to get it to where I am shopping once a week instead of once a month. I can't maintain this lifestyle change.

Yes Mandi in order to keep myself in fresh fruits and vegies I shop 2 times a week tuesdays and friedays But I could use frozen vegies and shop once a week since we are retired and shopping can be fun I go 2 times every week /
1 Cup of sugar for a gallon is still a lot of sugar
I used to have a bakeing habit I was buying sugar every week think of it 5 pounds of sugar every week since my plan got started I buy sugar 5 pounds a year I only bake on holidays

rohvannyn responded:
I am Paleo and can answer questions about it. Welcome, by the way! I notice you say "I am just having a hard time because I am southern and we love flavor!! "

Pasta, potatoes, bread, etc, are nearly flavorless! It's the stuff we put on them that has flavor. I have more tasty food and satisfying food than ever before. I'll tell you a secret... the less starchy food you eat, the more satisfied you'll feel. Same with sugar. I had to make it about finding new foods I liked, instead of mooning over the foods I missed. Would l rather have a big bowl of rice with cheese on top, and some chicken, or would I rather have a flavor rich broccoli stir fry with hot sauce and cubed chicken breast?

Sometimes, I confess, I still want the white rice. However the stir fry makes me feel better. I've noticed weight loss and more energy in general. I digest my food better too. If you have questions I can answer them or point you in the right direction. Good luck!
Roh SW 220ish and fluffy CW 178.0 GW 140ish and buff

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

Spotlight: Member Stories

I just graduated from university with my Bachelor of Science in Psychology! Unfortunately, that's not all I gained from college lol. Hopefully I w...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.