Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Day 7
Mandy29 posted:
After going home for Friday thru Monday morning, I had a difficult time reminding myself to write down everything I was putting in my mouth. Needless to say I need to work harder this week on my "mini-goals" of writing down everything I eat and drink. Also once I got home it was like throwing the no caffeinated/sugary beverages rule out the window. I'm disappointed in my self discipline over the weekend. After thinking back on it, I think that not having planned my weekend meals as I originally intended to do was my biggest downfall. I'm going to do better this week & weekend. Tomorrow will be Day 8. My goals this week are to increase my walking by 5 min to 15 min per day, and continue reducing/eliminating caffeinated/sugary beverages.

jis4judy responded:
Hi Mandy congrats on realizing that you slipped in planning meals and starting again with renewed vigor You can do it !!!
Just do better now you are back it does take some stick to itness.. just keep doing it and eventually you will get to a point where it is like a new way of life and will get easier to focus on your plans
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

jean4u responded:
MANDY, Good for you to re-group and re-plan. That is what it takes to stay on your journey. What you said about being disappointed in your weekend discipline reminds me of me and I could do OK during the week and then blow it out on weekends, only to gain what I lost during the week. Now, for the most part, I try to stay on target with my plan. If I eat out, then I portion control. If I do have a splurge meal or day, then I veggie it up and hydrate the next day.

Just keep reminding yourself, you are creating a new life, and next year you will look back and say "good that I started, not WOW, I really got to get started."

Getting rid of the "all or nothing" thinking really helps, too. Like when I start to binge and have a blowl of chips, that doesn't mean I have to have a 2nd. Let it go and do better!

Accepting that some days will be better than others, too.

I like that you are working to increase your walking, WTG!

Barb

Mandy29 replied to jis4judy's response:
Thank you Judy The positive feedback and encouragement I'm getting on here is definately helping me to work harder to achieve my goals
SW-265 GW-185
The minute you settle for less than you deserve, you get even less than you settled for.
- Maureen Dowd

Mandy29 replied to jean4u's response:
It's good to know I'm not alone in this. I really appreciate all of the advice

I'm having a little bit of a tough time trying to plan meals since I'm staying at somebody else's house most of the week and then going back home for the weekend (for now). My relatives I'm helping are eating their largest meal for lunch. Then for dinner, it's like whatever you can think of to eat that's handy is what gets eaten. This is my dilemma today in trying to plan my meals. Yesterday my aunt wanted a pineapple sandwich with mayo on white bread. This is not my idea of a balanced meal or snack for that matter. ^n^ Do you have any ideas or suggestions?
SW-265 GW-185
The minute you settle for less than you deserve, you get even less than you settled for.
- Maureen Dowd

totallywiggedout replied to Mandy29's response:
Hi Mandy,
When you say to plan your meals , do you fix food for one, that you personally purchase, or do you fix for everyone, from a family freezer/pantry situation.
I'm asking this because, if you are purchasing and fixing your own foods, then I'd spend some time just precooking or poaching a few chicken breasts, have some cans of water packed tuna ready, salad fixings, and some prebrowned and well drained ground beef in ziplocks or covered fridgee tubs.
Then the chicken can quickly be stir fried with some zucchini,olive oil, yellow squash, onion and green pepper or some broccoli and onions with low sodium soy sauce, or pineapple chunks, green pepper and the pineapple juice(thickened with some corn starch) , or , well you get the idea. Made with precooked chicken, none of these meals would take more than 15 min to get on the table.
Warm Chicken salad is great, fast and easy . 5-10 min prep time.
Tuna, mixed with some fat free shredded cheddar and stuffed into a heart healthy pita and grilled make some great tuna melts. 5 min tops.
Tuna mixed with miracle whip lite or lite mayo and stuffed into a big tomato "flower" or sitting on top of slices of avocado with a side of sliced cukes, great lunchee thing. 5 min
Pre browned ground beef can be mixed with salsa, and some taco seasining for a taco salad.
Can be put on a Heart healthy pita topped with pizza sauce and some cheese, and quickly baked at 425, till cheese melts, takes about 6-7 min.
Top corn Tostadas with ff cheddar and sprinkle gr beef on, then bake or mw till cheese is melted, then top with salsa, ff sour cream and shredded lettuce.... 5 min tops.
Easy stuff, healthy stuff..... good eats
huggs
k
Kim SW 243 CW 182.6 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

Mandy, here is our site's personal Recipe box, we sometimes fall into or make a good recipe to share and this is where they are posted most times.
http://forums.webmd.com/3/dieting-club-50-100-lbs-exchange/forum/2523

These are pretty easy , quick recipes too.

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

blondie454u responded:
Good job on the re-thinking! You've gotten some great advice.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

mefirstforever responded:
Hi Mandy,
Your on the right track. It will take a few week to get you baring on things. What ever you are changing know it will be for good so you are right to take one step at the time.
I have no dough that you will succeed. Success is every day that you take care of yourself not the goal. The goal is just a side effect.
Hug
Helene
Helene GW 140 CW 198.2 SW 224
Every day is a gift do your best, be kind including to yourself and smile.

Mandy29 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thank you Kim. These sound like great ideas. I can't wait to try some of them out.

Right now I'm fixing for everyone from a family freezer/pantry situation. I'm looking at ways to improvise and have something healthy for myself at the same time. Breakfast seems to be the easiest. I have oatmeal. I'm not a fan of the boring plain oatmeal. So, I add some cinnamon, a Tbsp honey, half a cup of applesauce and let it simmer and thicken. Then I add about a Tbsp of crumbled walnuts on top.

For lunch tomorrow we've planned to have hamburgers. I think instead of the regular white bun that I'll use whole wheat bread instead. I'm sort of out in the boonies here. I'll see if I can scrounge up some lettuce and tomato.
SW-265 GW-185
- Maureen Dowd

Yeh, I hear you on the hot cereal kick. I've been on one lately too. But for the life of me , I cannot figure out why 1/2 of plain uncooked rolled oats has 130 calories. I mean, it's just OATS! lol Anyway, my cereal of choice is a mixture
1/4 c of Old Fashioned rolled oats
1/2 c of original All Bran
mixed with water, like oatmeal, a packet of stevia and some apple pie spice then microwaved till creamy
Then I top with 1/4 of a chopped apple and a few raisins.
This basically fills up a large coffee mug and for some reason, that handled cup makes it even a more comforting "comfort food"
As for the burgers, now I just eat mine bunless. Usually I wrap the lettuce around the burger and fixins then eat it that way. It's a good alternative to carb-ing out esp once your appetite starts to get smaller.
huggs
k

jean4u replied to Mandy29's response:
Mandy, Just a suggestion, when you can get to a store......get your hands on some protein powder. I like vanilla or strawberry. You can put this stuff in oatmeal, yogurt. Mix in ff/milk or water. But this will help control hunger and that is what is needed to stop from eating between planned snacks and meals. I look for sales on the protein powder. I prefer whey. BTW as you increase your walking or exercise this protein shake will help you as a planned snack after your planned exercise.

Also, try to increase your fiber when you can.

All the "little" changes do add up.

Barb

Mandy29 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
I know what you mean about the # of calories in the oatmeal. On the other hand, after I eat the oatmeal, I stay full and don't want anything else for a long time after breakfast

We just used whole wheat bread as our "buns" today instead. We had it here and I didn't even have to go to the store. We didn't have any lettuce. The nearest store probably wouldn't have it.

I might try that next time with the lettuce though

Thank you for the tips

Huggs back
SW-265 GW-185
- Maureen Dowd

Mandy29 replied to jean4u's response:
Thank you Barb. I'll have to pick up some next time I go grocery shopping. My husband used that stuff before (I think).
SW-265 GW-185
- Maureen Dowd

jean4u replied to Mandy29's response:
Mandy, I think you are doing a good thing by eating the oatmeal for breakfast. Like you say it keeps you feeling full for a long time. A while back I ran into "The Full-plate" Diet (it's on the net) and one of there breakfasts featured oatmeal, one cup of (frozen) berries, 1 oz. walnuts and ff/milk. An English (whole wheat)muffin, w/PB and sugar free jelly and a banana. ALL that!.

Apparently this style of eating is geared to high quality foods. Interesting.

Barb

P.S. Don't forget hard boiled eggs are a good source of cheap protein, too, and very versatile. I just eat the whites.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have lost over 100 lbs 2 times in my adult life. I was thin as a child. Due to some major surgeries when I was a young teen and the inability to be ...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.