Skip to content
Roh Made Me Do It , It's ALL Roh's FAULT
totallywiggedout posted:
So, I've been thinking about a blog that Roh wrote(a week or so ago, maybe) SOMEWHERE here on WebMD, maybe the webmd food site.... Idk... But anyhow, Roh was wishing they could make pumpkin chips but pumpins were too exp at that time.
Well.... the idea must've stuck somewhere in my cerebral cortex because Walmart put their Halloween pumpkins down to $1 each.
Of course, I bought 4. F O U R !!!!!!! I love roasted pumpkin seeds and figured that if I was gonna make em, I wanted enough to be worth the effort.
ALL DAY LONG I've been gutting, cutting, skinning , wedging, slicing , boiling, baking , roasting, bagging, and freezing pumpkin.
OH and did I mention FRYING?? Yes, I have proven that if you take raw pumpkin and slice it into "fries" you can fry it and make carb-less french fries. They taste great lightly salted n dipped in ketchup. So if Lorrie is reading this, hon, if sweet potatotes are too expensive, you could always try the humble pumpkin.
I decided to do all of this, because I'm always looking for new and different ways to cook stuff and I absolutely LOATHE wasting food that I think could be put to use some other way.
I like my pumpkin smoothies, creamy pumpkin soup , pumpkin bread and of course pumpkin pie. This gave me , all told, about 2 lbs of raw pumpkin seeds to be roasted , and 40 cups of cooked solid pack pumpkin to use in different recipes. All for $4 from the 4 pumpkins.
So, not too bad, but quite time consuming. Actually, I feel like I accomplished something worthwhile today and it was kinda fun.
So, here's to Roh, for an idea that ran amok, lol.
(oh , btw, I'm shipping you 10lbs of pumpkin guts to remember this by )
huggs
k
Kim SW 243 CW 182.6 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger---Friedrich Nietzche

FirstPrevious12NextLast

jis4judy responded:
I haven;t seen any good pumpkins this year at all all jacl olantern types no sugar pumpkins.. will look again after I vote on tueday .
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout replied to jis4judy's response:
Judy, I actually used the Jack O Lantern pumpkins, lol. I wanted the seeds mostly but the added bonus of possible useable pumpkin meat was just too much to pass up.
Tonight I baked two loaves of pumpkin bread using some of the baked pumpkin and it turned out really moist.
This stuff isn't as smooth as canned even after using my blender to mix it up after baking, but I figured I make zucchini bread out of grated zucchini so this would prolly work just as well.... and it did.
True , It's not as sweet as sugar pie pumpkins but it did work with the recipe I have , which I don't eat too much of, because it uses WAY too much sugar, lol. But the rest of the family like it.
My seeds turned out great though, did some with worchestershire sauce, a little butter , garlic salt and onion powder (like chex mix), the other batch was garlic butter and parmesean.
Whatever happens, I know that I'll use what I got out of today's endeavors, so that makes it well worth the effort.
hope you can find the lil babies that you want, I did finally find some here, but they are too darned expensive for my blood. I'm just not paying 3.00 for a little pumpkin, lol.
huggs
k

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

jis4judy replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Hi Kim I have never made pumpkin bread I did make some more Banana bread yesterday we each had 1 slice and in the freezer it went .
My pumpkin pie I make a special crust for it . the recipe came from a chocolate cream pie . I use it for most pies I make
It is 1 Cup flour 1 stick butter 1/4 Cup confectoners sugar 1/4 C finely chopped walnuts mix and press into bottom and sides of a 9 inch pie plate fill as desired bake first if useing in a cold pie but use as is for pumpkin pie that is baked

life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout replied to jis4judy's response:
Judy, I reposted your recipe for pie crust on our recipes blog, I wanted to be able to access that one , sounds like a good one and NO ROLLING! which , IMHO is the makings of the ULTIMATE pie crust recipe, lol
huggs
k

jis4judy replied to totallywiggedout's response:
It truly is the ultimate pie crust and not low in cals but It accually is good , I think it came from a recipe for chocolate cream pie in family circle magazine many years ago . I have been useing it for a long time and I hate rolling too LOL

jean4u responded:
Kim, Good work! All that work does pay off when you want that pumpkin variety that you made up.

Did you see my post about the crock pot pumpkin meatloaf. It is from Spark People.com.?

I got a sale on the medium sized pumpkins last year. I wasn't as creative as you, though, I just baked them whole and let cool and stored the innerds in containers and ate like squash as a side dish. I even like my veggies for breakfast with 1/4 cup of cottage cheese or a spoon of Greek yogurt and chives.

Barb

totallywiggedout replied to jean4u's response:
Hi Barb. Yes , I saw your recipe reference for that crockpot pumpkin meatloaf to Roh, lol. There'd be no reason that wouldn't work considering the pumpkin does have a little water in it's meat so that and the juices of the meat would probably do well enough in a crockpot. I don't have a crockpot though.
I had one when the boys were younger and all at home, it was a BIG crockpot and was extremely convenient when I worked full time. And my kitchen in the house in Michigan had enough counter space to accommodate all the "necessary" electrical gadgetry. When I moved down here, into these various rentals, storage space and counter space seems to always be at a premium. So some of the fixtures that I simply could not live without years ago, have been significantly downsized or outsourced, lol.
I figure it this way, for every move I make, the less I take. By the time I die, I will probably have my mother's hopechest filled to the brim with whatnot, my recipe books and the clothes on my back.
All the basic necessities, lol.
huggs
k

jean4u replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Kim, I have a love-hate relationship with kitchen gadgets and appliances. I'm with you on keeping the counter space clear as much as possible. I think the crockpot recipes can be made in the oven if you add a bit of liquid. With the pumpkin one, I would cut it in half and put the meatloaf mixture and cover with foil. Bake for 45 min. at 350 and check for doneness.

Barb

P.S. Do you have a kitchen gadget that you love or use alot?\

My beloved Magic Bullet, lol. I was at a total loss when my blade bottom finally gave up the ghost and got chewed to dust by the motor blades.
I actually cried.
Magic Bullets are $50 to do the full replacement of the whole kit and I just didn't have that to spare. So I kept putting "pin" money back until I had enough to go webbing for new blade bottoms for my bullet. Didn't even know if there was such a thing . My motor base and the blender cup were in good shape, so all I needed was the blade bottom.
Found some on Amazon , two for $15. Not actually from the Bullet manufacturer, but had good feedback that it worked well, so I ordered them. Got them a little over a week ago and they work just like the original one.
I didn't realize how much I used that bullet till it was gone. They take up little storage space and that is one thing that since it's so small, I just leave it plugged in on the counter and shoved into a corner out of the way.
Mine is 10 years old and I love it .
It is the perfect size for individual smoothies and frozen drinks and finely chops all kinds of stuff. I even make my own dried breadcrumbs in it .
huggs
k

jean4u replied to totallywiggedout's response:
How smart of you to get replacement blades for your handy "bullet". WTG I noticed that the old blenders are much better than the new ones. The old have metal blades.

Barb

yep and so do my replacements. I just used it again today, for my Big Green Meany smoothie, love those things.
hope you are having a great day, you and everyone else that is
huggs
k

mefirstforever responded:
Ho my Kim,

I bet you spend more energy than the pumkin's worth in calories!!!

Yay Kim
Helene GW 140 CW 198.2 SW 224
Every day is a gift do your best, be kind including to yourself and smile.

totallywiggedout replied to mefirstforever's response:
I was soooo beat by the time I finally got the last batch of seeds out of the oven, literally at midnight, that I just folded up and died in bed, lol
huggs
k

The Habits that Live are the Ones We Feed.---fellow blogger

rohvannyn replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Yeah, yeah, blame me! Hope the seeds turned out good.
Roh SW 220ish and fluffy CW 178.0 GW 140ish and buff

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

Spotlight: Member Stories

just starting out at the gym and throwing in some zumba.excited about that hoping not to fail.need to keep focus with all the negativity in the world ...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.