Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Making better decisions
Mandy29 posted:
I had a good day yesterday. I had oatmeal for breakfast, had some grocery shopping to do later. I had a very late lunch of a McDonalds grilled chicken Ranch snack wrap -270 calories, but managed to have enough self discipline to NOT grab a bag of chips and a soda to hold me over before then since I was on the go. I picked up some Lean Cuisines, apples and bananas. For dinner I had a Lean Cuisine and an apple. I drank all of my water. My calories for an entire day totaled about 970. This is way below what I should be eating I know. But, I was not hungry when I went to bed. I woke up today and had seemingly more energy.

I hope everybody has a great day today

Huggs for everybody
SW-265 GW-185
The minute you settle for less than you deserve, you get even less than you settled for.
- Maureen Dowd

jis4judy responded:
Hi Mandy you may have consumed more calories than you think so the 970 was maybe closer to 1200 because those frozen dinner are usually off in the calories approx 30%
it is good you were satisfied with it though .
sounds pretty good for a busy day . good work avoiding the chips and soda those lind of thing can be addictive
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout responded:
Morning Mandy,
I'm going to do "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" on you.
Big Breath here;
Ok , the Good, Oatmeal for breakfast is a great choice. I don't know if or how you sweetened it or if you just eat it plain, but make sure you read the label, it DOES have mucho calories , much more than people really think it does. So MEASURE it dry before you fix it so you account for those pesky calories.
The Bad, that chicken wrap, although a much better choice fat wise from the basic McDonald's fare, it's still WAY high in sodium which will increase hypertension (blood pressure) and also contribute to water weight retention and gain. Check out
this site at the bottom of page, download the pdf and read the nutrition info
http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/food/food_quality/nutrition_choices.htm

Ok, here goes nothing.... The UGLY... you are gonna hate me for this I just know it........ Just because something says "Healthy" or "Lean" on the package doesn't necessarily mean it is or that it's a truly Healthy choice.
The problem with these frozen meals is that you don't get much bang for the buck when it comes to Nutrition, and they are usually so loaded with extra sodium, and sugars to make up for the less fat that you are basicly trading one evil for another.
Sure, they seem to have low enough calories, but for that same amount of calories(or less) you could whip up a WHOLE boneless skinless chicken breast in a stir fry with low or no sodium added and end up with a HUGE plateful that you could barely eat all of. All this with the added bonus of at least 2/3 of your day's nutrition needs on one plate. A stir fry like this with thinly sliced sauteed breast, probably 10 min more, start to finish, than your microwaved meal..
Nutrition basics are the thing to remember. You have to have your nutrients to feed your body right. It's great to find low calorie , convenient foods as long as they are WORTH the calories , but the ugly truth is, that the only reason they are so calorie conscious is because there really is SO LITTLE to them. And the sodium in them is so high.....
We know you are new and trying and that's great. We aren't trying to discourage or bash you for making these "newby" choices, lol. It's hard to try to recommend things without sounding like we are , I'm so sorry for that, but since we can't talk personally, this is where we try to encourage better choices along the way.
The lean cuisines and Healthy choice meals are great for busy days that you don't have the time or enegy to do much else, but it'll be better along the way if you can fix your meals from scratch so that YOU are in control of what goes into them instead of settling for what the manufacturers deem necessary for flavor.
huggs
kim
Kim SW 243 CW 181.4 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

The Habits that Live are the Ones We Feed.---fellow blogger

blondie454u replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Kim,

I love this post and I agree with you. I always said make your own Lean Cuisine. Take a day and make your own lunches and dinners and put them in freezable containers that can be microwaved or put in the oven for easy quick meals.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

totallywiggedout replied to blondie454u's response:
So right. Give it an afternoon and you could have all the chopped or cut up veggies you need for a week, plus stir frys, good for you low fat/low sodium soups, tubs of precooked whole grain rice and pastas,... you could use the soups over the rice or pasta or just have em as sides for the other stuff..... Easy, fast, good for you meals that cost less and have a higher nutritive value than any microwave meal.
My big thing is always the sodium. I like being in control of salt in my foods and I know there is such a plethora of different herbs and spices that can be used instead of it to enhance the flavors of my foods.
huggs
k
Kim SW 243 CW 181 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

The Habits that Live are the Ones We Feed.---fellow blogger

kalimiller replied to totallywiggedout's response:
I totally agree with prepping stuff ahead of time. One thing that I like to do, is when I find onions or bell peppers on sale, I slice them up and then freeze them in freezer baggies. Then, when I need something done for dinner quick - I can just pull those out and add them right away. Downside is that they are not as cripsy as slicing fresh ones, but I usually use them in a sort of fajita style dish so I don't really care. I do the same for green onions - slice them up and ziplock bag em.
We also buy our chicken breasts when it goes on sale in 40 pound boxes. I spend the day that I get them putting about 1/3 of it in bags just as the breasts, 1/3 I slice into strips and freeze that way, and 1/3 I cut into sort of bite size pieces and freeze them that way. I try and freeze stuff in meal sized portions to make things easier on myself for days when I don't want to cook. It keeps me from wanting to just pick something up.

Another thing that might help - if you either don't want to or don't have the time to cut up tons of stuff to prep them - is when you make a meal, double or triple it and freeze the extras. I do that and it is a LIFESAVER some days.
-Kali

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
-Henry Ford

mefirstforever responded:
Hi Mandy,

Even if I do agree with Kim, Amber and Judy.
I must take your side on this.
It is a process, and you did stop and think not to take the chips and soda a victory on it's own.
Super Water victory Yay Mandy.

We all struggle with finding easy way to loose weight. You will find recipes that will be fast and easy. With time you will have more energy and will start eating your own food that will taste so much better than those frozen meals.

Keep up the good work
Huggs
Helene
Helene GW 140 CW 198.2 SW 224
Every day is a gift do your best, be kind including to yourself and smile.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Age 43, In a nutshell, 3 kids, (2 sons ages 24 YEARS old, and 17 MONTHS, with a daughter who just turned 22 yesterday. A 140 mile round trip M-F commu...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.