Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Planning for Thanksgiving
abnersmom posted:
Weighed in at 151.6 this morning. Don't know if it will stabilize there or if it's one of those fleeting glimpses of the promised land. It got me thinking about surviving the upcoming holidays. My plan is to indulge on Thanksgiving, but not have enough leftovers to do damage the next day. I'm actually cooking this year - first time in several years - used to cook for the whole family. It will just be my sister and I on Thanksgiving Day. Am doing a small turkey breast, dressing, green beans, black-eyed peas and rolls. You're wondering about desserts? I'm not a sweet eater and my sister is diabetic so there won't be any. My homemade rolls will be my dessert - oh my, my mouth is watering....

How about you guys? What's your plan? I can't wait! Work has been very stressful and I am so looking forward to the days off for once more than the food. LOL!
Debbie SW 265 CW 152 GW 150 - To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable. Helen Keller

FirstPrevious12NextLast

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Debbie, sounds like you have a good meal plan set up. I on the other hand , WILL be doing some desserts and WILL have to watch my portions because I'm positive that at least two small pieces of pie will find their way onto my plate at some point.
I'm not a really big bread eater, but like you, when they are fresh....... they are hard to resist. and yes rolls or something like them will be on the table too.
I'm still up in the air about it though, I really like those garlic and cheese bisquick bisquits too, and I don't know which I'll end up making..... time will tell.
I'm thinking fresh roasted green beans or roasted root vegetables for one of our side dishes.... maybe.
huggs
k
Kim SW 243 CW 180.4 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

The Habits that Live are the Ones We Feed.---fellow blogger

jean4u responded:
Debbie, Good to have a plan for these holiday meals. I went
to a cooking class that had a version of dressing that included shredded/julienne zuchinni and carrots. It was really good. I make the Stove Top and add those veggies. I make it in a 13 x 9 baking dish. You can freeze the leftovers in small baggies for sides to eat later.

BTW, have you seen the recent post by HELENE about "The great balancing act"? The "Protein Cake" recipe may be good for a one serving "dessert". Maybe not for Thanksgiving but just might be good for your sister who is diabetic to have as a reasonable snack.

It looks like your dedication is really paying off.....151.6, WTG!!!!

Yes, look forward to having time off from that work stress and plan some "treats" that aren't food related. We have to work harder than usual to not fall back into our old habits. I know I will have to make sure I track my hydration because that is where I tend to start slipping. Also, my exercise as when the holidays come, the dances will stop for them and I got to come up with a plan to get some movement in. I really liked the chair exercise that were under a new/recent discussion, here.

I'm not good at math, but if I did it right, you are down 114 lbs. WOW!!!

I also love that part how we have and continue to change our mental attitude about this being a positive journey and one that we can do.

Great work! Let's keep it up!

Barb

abnersmom replied to jean4u's response:
Thanks Barb. I'm feeling good about it all. I also appreciate your suggestion about the protein bread for my sister, but she is on dialysis and a very restricted diet. The strange thing is she cannot have whole grains, has to be white bread, white rice, etc. Odd, but she is following the kidney nutritionists plan. She's on a transplant list, but it may be years before she can get one.

Kim, That sounds yummy. I like the idea of the roasted green beans too.

I'm so behind on reading posts. I hope to do better soon when life and work slow down a bit. As if....
Debbie SW 265 CW 152 GW 150 - To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable. Helen Keller

jis4judy responded:
Hi Debbie My plans are to have lots of fun with family and friends and enjoy the meal watch portions but have a little of everything I like . I will be cooking a turkey and stuff it with my own version of stuffing it changes every year but it is a basic bread stuffing with celery onions and broth I made in place of half the butter called for it will have finely chopped walnuts and apples diced in this year I may shred some carrots and zucchini into it we shall see ..and of course bells seasoning.
I will be haveing a side of butternut squash smashed potatoes gravy boiled baby onions olives sweet mixed pickles and homemade cranberry sauce with orange zest made with half the sugar it is tangy and an undetermined green vegie not sure yet
No rolls
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

jis4judy replied to jis4judy's response:
Oh gosh I forgot there will be pie not sure what kind yet
probably pumpkin.
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

rohvannyn replied to jis4judy's response:
My mom knew someone who was on dialysis and she had similar restrictions, no whole grains, only white bread, etc. I think it was because certain nutrients give the kidneys more work to do.

Thanksgiving is going to be quiet for me, I've gotten away from celebrating most of the holidays in the traditional manner. My family is too far away to visit so it'll be me and my spouse as usual. If we can find a good turkey at a good price we'll have that with blue potatoes roasted instead of my usual massive pot of mashed potatoes. It was actually thanksgiving of last year, and all the leftovers, that triggered us to start dieting and transition it into a new lifestyle. I think I might introduce some nice vegetable dishes or get some unusual fruit, as well as some good nuts, to have more of a festive feeling.

If we are lacking a turkey, we decided we'd make a massive pot of our signature beanless chili instead, which is mostly chicken breast, tomatoes, and the hottest peppers we can find.
Roh SW 220ish and fluffy CW 178.0 GW 140ish and buff

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

jean4u replied to abnersmom's response:
Debbie, Yes your Sister needs to follow her diet needs. She is a trooper to go through dialysis. Hope that transplant comes along soon.

I will be going away on one of my car trips, so I will join the "catch up" club with the posts, too.

Barb

abnersmom replied to jean4u's response:
Safe travels, Barb. Enjoy!
Debbie SW 265 CW 151 GW 150 - To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable. Helen Keller

abnersmom replied to jis4judy's response:
Judy, I want to come to YOUR house - sounds fabulous!
Debbie SW 265 CW 151 GW 150 - To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable. Helen Keller

totallywiggedout replied to jean4u's response:
Bahahahaaaaa Barb.... I plan to do 30 posts a day, EVERY day until you get back (cue the soundtrack of sinister laughing) I LOVE to bury people in posts when they go away
huggs
k

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

blondie454u responded:
I am going to indulge but not too bad. I will have a little bit of everything without over doing it. We are all doing a little bit of cooking so it won't be just one doing the cooking. Our menu is:

Turkey
Ham
Sweet potato crunch
Roasted cauliflower w/ parm cheese
Fried Sweet potatoes
Mashed potatoes
Green beans ( I think)
Corn (I think)
Stuffing
Pumpkin pie
More pie - just can't remember what kind. I am more interested in the pumpkin.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

abnersmom replied to blondie454u's response:
I should never have started this!!! My mouth is watering reading everyone's posts.

totallywiggedout replied to abnersmom's response:
I'm seeing you right ON THE EDGE of your goal..... maybe if you exhale an extra big burst when you step on the scale, lol....
Gettin my pom poms ready, Debbie
huggs
k

abnersmom replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thanks, Kim. I'm still nervous about the next goal of maintenance, but with you guys' support and what I have learned over the past year and a half, I WILL do it!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I started my weight loss on March 20 2012 at 234 pounds. I am going toward a goal of 125 lbs and body fat percent of 20%... Update: Weighed in at 155....More

Helpful Tips

cinnamon
I am diabetic and a sure way to loose weight fast is cut the carbs, exercise, and take a third of a T-spoon of cinnamon after every meal ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.