Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Just getting started.
Corkymom posted:
I'm new to the site. My biggest problem is I think about nothing but my weight for days. It is a circle that is spiraling out of control. I need to lose at least 100 lb. but I keep gaining. I eat about the same and live about the same way but I can't seen to stop the gain. I feel as if I have become the Pillsbury Dough Boy's female counterpart. I am 66 yrs. old and I work part time, an active in a sorority, am a CASA volunteer and I should be thinking about other things but guess what I'm still in my weight circle. Any ideas or suggestions anyone?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

MiaPa1208 responded:
Hi there, i have lost over 100 lbs and it took me about 3 years. I was obsessing about my weight all the time! so one day i got fed up and went for walk on my lunch hour and just started thinking about how will i look and what i can wear after i lose weight. Pretty soon i walked 5 miles every day rain or shine! weight was coming off and my clothes got cuter:) Hung in there and stick around, im sure we can help you here:)
Mia: SW 270'ish,CW 165, GW 150/ 5'9

blondie454u responded:
Only advice I can give you is Just do it! Everyone has their own motivation and you have to find yours. It works different for everyone. Basically you have to find reason for living.
Amber CW 135 maintaining, SW 250. Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness.

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Corkymom, Welcome.
You want to focus on something other than your weight, those pesky numbers on the scale.... Ok, put the scale away for a few weeks.
Yep, I mean that. Because what you NEED to focus on is the foods that you are eating, how MUCH you are eating, if you are drinking enough water (at least 64 oz a day) and EXERCISE , baby!
Ok, so there. But you already knew this, right?
So, now is a good time to start a food and fitness planner. Use the one here on WebMD or the one on Fitday.com. Both are free and they give you something OTHER than the scale numbers to focus on. Be religious about logging your CORRECT intake . Meaning the real serving sizes that you are eating. NO FIBBING. this is for you after all.
Just focus on eating better food choices. Eat raw and fresh , and made from scratch.
Educate yourself , really. Read the labels on your normal foods. REALLY look at the serving sizes and the calories involved per serving. Then, find BETTER alternatives to those foods if available.
Watch the fat free and "healthy" labeling. Read how much sugar or salt they put in the supposedly healthy stuff to make it taste like full fat versions. The same with "sugar free". Read the labels , they will surprise you.
This education will take some time and will also help you focus on something different.
T'HEN , honey. Start to make your recipes lighter. With your new armament of better ingredients that you researched, you can rewrite and begin to experiment with them in your best loved recipes.
After a few weeks of rethinking your food, your clothes will start to fit better. When you start to notice this, then bring out the scale again. BUT only for a weekly or even monthly weigh in.
I promise, you won't have to have the scale to see the difference a better eating plan and some more exercise will give you.
good luck and stick with us. it helps to have help along the way
huggs
kim
Kim SW 243 CW 180.4 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

jis4judy responded:
Hi Corkymom
welcome aboard you have recieved really good suggestions so far . what I would like to add is that for me I accually gave up on loseing weight and began paying close attention to nutrition , I stopped eating the foods that were not doing my body any good . and started nourishing my body with fresh fruits and vegies lean meats in proper portions whole grains fat free dairy and got my fats from avacados and nuts in portion contoled amounts . I avoided proccessed foods as much as possable.. became an avid label reader on things I did buy in packages .. refused to buy things containing trans fats high frucose corn syrup,,, or excess sugars .
I also never buy anything directly advertised as diet food it is a scam .
well long story short my nutrition quest I started on accually helped my body heal itself and I removed nearly 100 pounds maybe more cause I didn.t weigh myself until I was eating clean a month. I also take walks nearly every day started weight lifting later I have been maintaining this nutrition quest for over 9 years
thats my story do with it what you can
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 149ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

mefirstforever responded:
Hi Corkymom,
Welcome to the group !! You have to find your point of no return. and start building on it.
One thing a the time. Try to achieve a new goal every week.

Could be just the water or 10 minutes walk. And Build and in no time you will see new actions will be habits.

Good luck on your new journey of a healthier you.
Hug
Helene
Helene GW 140 CW 198.2 SW 224
Every day is a gift do your best, be kind including to yourself and smile.

abnersmom responded:
Welcome, Corkymom!

You made the first step in coming here. We are a very supportive group. Check in often and try to slowly implement changes into your lifestyle. I couldn't agree more with everyone, but the key for me has been logging food. Shocking at first, trust me, but it will keep you honest and on track. Adding lost of fresh fruits is also very important. They are filling and nutritious. I feel better in every way since changing my lifestyle. Good luck!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You are imperfect, permanentlyand inevitably flawed. And you are beautiful. - Amy Bloom

Corkymom replied to MiaPa1208's response:
Thank you. I feel at times like I am down a dark well. I have lost lots of weight before (or should I say I shaped up) by walking for long but un-timed periods per day. Now I have one knee replacement and one bad knee. I've been advised by my physical therapist not to rely on walking for my exercise but to take it easy on the new knee. I love to walk when I can find an area I like. I have a dog, Corky, and I walk him daily at least twice sometimes four times but not long walks. Thanks again you've given me something to think about. I appreciate your kind advice

Corkymom replied to blondie454u's response:
Thank you, I love your comment that "Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of a mental illness." You've made me think that maybe I am more stressed than I want to accept. Also when you said "you have to find reason for living" I began thinking maybe I'm just using my weight as an excuse to not face that I really don't have a life I enjoy. Thanks again any comments are very welcome.

Corkymom replied to totallywiggedout's response:
I love the Winston Churchill quote. I need to make up a sign and add it to my thoughts for the day. Thank you. You have some really concrete ideas. In recent weeks I've been caring for my brother who had heart valve replacement and after surgery was diagnosed as diabetic. His diet is now low sodium, low carbs, and low calories. I have been trying to guide him and myself through the jungle of food. I am learning that fresh is best and that prepackaged is to be avoided at all costs. Thank you any more tips will be gratefully appreciated.

Corkymom replied to jis4judy's response:
Thank you, I am sensing a common theme is some of these replies. That we should enjoy living and let go of the baggage we carry. I also see the theme of recording what I eat and drink as well as exercise. You have a long history of working on this problem. I am beginning my journey today and hoping to dance instead of work my way to weight loss. Thanks again.

Corkymom replied to mefirstforever's response:
I like your online name. I think I should adopt it as a motto. Thank you, your suggestion to build on things is a reminder I should be patient. Tahnks.

Corkymom replied to abnersmom's response:
Thank you, I had forgotten all about registering for this site and WebMD sent me a reminder. I've bookmarked the site and I'll keep checking and yes, you are correct I need to log my food and exercise. I've tried before. I know I need to be more patient and focused. Maybe I have ADHD where it comes to food and exercise. Thank you again. I hope we can keep in touch.

mefirstforever replied to jis4judy's response:
Judy I like the Idea of not weighing myself before one month.

So Here goes, I'm 201 today and will way myself only February 1, 2013.

Hugs
Helene
Helene GW 140 CW 201 SW 224
Every day is a gift do your best, be kind especially to yourself and smile.

abnersmom replied to Corkymom's response:
Glad you came back, Corkymom. My screen name is for my dog, Abner, like your's! Stick around and keep us posted on how your journey is going. It is a process and we are all in this together to reach our goals and/or maintain them.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You are imperfect, permanentlyand inevitably flawed. And you are beautiful. - Amy Bloom

Spotlight: Member Stories

Here I am! Feeling the worst I ever have. 100 pounds to lose and very overwhelmed about it. 1 year away from 50 years old. Developed high blood pressu...More

Helpful Tips

cinnamon
I am diabetic and a sure way to loose weight fast is cut the carbs, exercise, and take a third of a T-spoon of cinnamon after every meal ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.